Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Millenium Magic - Success/Failure

Go down 
+5
adelaide-giant.no9
ponner
washy
Acko
Gem Bob
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Millenium Magic - Success/Failure Empty
PostSubject: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptySun May 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Best game of the weekend id say was Saints v Wigan which was a derby game. Imo says it all.

Day 1 = 29,627
Day 2 = 30,122
Total = 59,749

(can't get exact day att)
Total = 63,144

Day 1 = 32,384
Day 2 = 26,447
Total = 58,831

From what i have heard Edinburgh was the same price wise for hotels as Cardiff, i.e prices were hugely inflated. However transport costs seemed to be much lower - probably by the ease of getting to Edinburgh and direct train services.

Att was down 3395. However apparently 6,000 tickets sold were to locals of Edinburgh. Interpret that as you will, is the increase in sales to locals worth the decrease in sales to average RL supporters which up until Murrayfield was on the increase by over 5,000 yearly. Bearing in mind the finacial situation it could be argued this year has lost out on up to 12,000 from year 1.

My own personal reason for not going was due to us playing Celtic and the format. I mean im no huge fan of Scotland but had it been derbys i might have gone - Had it been Cardiff id have most definitely gone.
I stayed at the Marriot both years and i literally spilled out of the ground and wound up on my doorstep. MF is quite different.

So if you didn't go why, if you did was it better, and for arguments sake would you prefer a shift back to Wales or a repeat in Jockland?
Back to top Go down
Acko
Acko

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptySun May 03, 2009 9:27 pm

I personal loved it,But there are a lot of negatives by having it in Edinburgh
Murrayfield a long way from edinburgh town where lots of the hotels were & i know you can catch a Bus/Taxis but thats more expense addered
Hotels were dearer & drink £3.50 a pint unless you fond a wetherspoons
The pluses all the different fans having a drink & chat together like one big happy family & i suppose we are when it comes to it really.

Did prefer Cardiff but will go again to Edinburgh next year & hope there can sort certain things out better
Back to top Go down
washy
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyMon May 04, 2009 12:37 am

Didn't go to Cardiff as when I went the other year for a football match it seemed miles away from home and the cost of going was a factor too! But reading and hearing everyones experiences made me so jealous!! But I went to Edinburgh as I've been many times before and just love the city, And I couldn't fault it apart from the price of food and drinks!!

I paid for the cheapest weekend tickets and never actually sat where those tickets were for in fact that south end was rarely full!! We sat in the west Upper, for our match, where those around us had paid a lot more for their tickets but it was bleeding freezing and a hell of a lot of steps to climb. So having spent most of Saturday in the East stand where the sun was shining on us we went in there to warm up and get sun burned!

We walked from the princes street having seen on the map that Murrayfield was about as far as our stadium is from town centre and wished we hadn't has it certainly wasn't!! And then after waited almost an hour for a bus back to Princes street as many passed but were already too full to stop or those at the front of the queue saying it wasn't going to where we wanted, only to find this wasn't the case!!

The banter between the fans were top class! Cobi loved rolling down the banking outside the East stand and was a sight to be seen when we got back to the hotel but I couldn't get him cleaned up as he was completely sparko!! One thing though was that on the sat not many Hull KR fans about but a fair few FC fans, Quins were hardly seen as too Cas but the others for sun were well represented. And again on sunday those fans that seemed to not be as represented were Salford, Wakey and strangely Wigan. And out of the poorest supports ie Quins, Celtic and Catalans the latter had the most fans even on the saturday!!

As for costs for the weekend my total were £40 for my room with a full scottish breakie, £20 travel, £17.50 for our tickets and I spent an additional £25 on other so not too bad I suppose for myself and Cobi!! And to top it all the sun shone almost all the time!! And a special mention to my hotel in the pleasant village of Charlestown made us feel so welcome and was so quiet, right on the shoreline and our room had excellent views! The only downside were that it also had Rhino's fans but they'd found it for the last time they visited Murrayfield in the CC cup final!!
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyMon May 04, 2009 7:59 am

I loved both MM at Cardiff yet couldn't reall afford this weekends. Went to Murrayfield for the Challenge cup final between Wigan v Saints a few years ago and enjoyed the weekend but I would think Cardiff is better for the Magic weekend as it's surrounded by bars and the Roof on was a bit of a novelty to most of us. If it's in Scotland next year though and I can afford it i'll still go.
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player
adelaide-giant.no9

Number of posts : 1835
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyMon May 04, 2009 8:19 am

been to murrayfield twicw and on both occasions loved the walk from the grassmarket to the stadium .. its not that far, maybe a 30 minute walk and when it was cup final day the roads were packed so it didnt seem that far with all the banter the fans were having
Back to top Go down
raceman

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyMon May 04, 2009 10:12 am

Enjoyed it up in Edinburgh but they need to put some heaters in those wind tunnels at the stadium, it was freezing!!
Back to top Go down
washy
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyMon May 04, 2009 12:42 pm

One thing I did notice was that there were quite a few scots there!! A friend of mine had up spending the bank holiday bird watching and the friend he was staying with son's really wanted to go and watch a game so he took them along too. Also due to my Giants badge this group of lads came upto me and started talking all because one of their party had once played for the Giants or something and they were here to support us and all but 2 of them were scottish!!

Even saw Efin O'Hare with a group!!

As for pubs around the stadium there were a few but as many have already stated not as many as Cardiff but Murrayfield is a mile or 2 from the city centre but there were still plenty of drinking holes!! One observation though were that the prices in these drinking holes were not that different from inside the stadium!!

As I've already said and I've read mnay others complaining of the freezing temp inside the stadium!! I can't comment on the saturday as I stayed in the sun on the East side but there was quite a cold breeze on the sunday whereas it wasn't there on Sat! The only thing warming the West stand was the atmosphere at the Catalan Leeds game! Everyone seemed to go there just to be with the Catalans!!
Back to top Go down
joek
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyMon May 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Enjoyed it but we were frozen in West upper tier. Great giants turnout and fans were so friendly, and only a tenner for a taxi to and from the stadium.
Back to top Go down
bostock
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
bostock

Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyTue May 05, 2009 1:16 pm

Edinburgh over cardiff for me the city has a lot more to offer.
the fans zone was great with the warm up pitch right next to it so you could see all the teams.
the fans were great as allways
more choice of food and drink in the stadium
the only down side is we should be filling a stadium like this.?just can not understand why rugby league fans dont turn out in numbers for a great festival of rugby no matter what team you support.(if this was a rugby union event it would be packed).
its a brilliant idea and a brilliant weekend,so get your selves up there next year. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyTue May 05, 2009 6:04 pm

bostock wrote:
the fans zone was great with the warm up pitch right next to it so you could see all the teams.
the only down side is we should be filling a stadium like this.?just can not understand why rugby league fans dont turn out in numbers for a great festival of rugby no matter what team you support.(if this was a rugby union event it would be packed).
its a brilliant idea and a brilliant weekend,so get your selves up there next year. Smile Smile Smile

Would love to Gaz but times are hard at the mo for alot of folks, me included. Even for the day would cost well over £100 quid and in current climes just can't run to it

Would love to be there but you have to prioritise things, hopefully next year.
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyTue May 05, 2009 8:39 pm

FLYINGPROP wrote:
bostock wrote:

Would love to Gaz but times are hard at the mo for alot of folks, me included. Even for the day would cost well over £100 quid and in current climes just can't run to it

Would love to be there but you have to prioritise things, hopefully next year.

Good post mate.

Tough times.

Smile
Back to top Go down
bostock
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
bostock

Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyThu May 07, 2009 2:02 pm

start saving ""NOW"" its MAGIC Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
washy
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyThu May 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Yeah start saving now and booking it now as some hotels are already getting full and it's not official when nexts years is for certain as they coudl move it to another date!! I'm well up for it and would even consider the same hotel well talking to my folks they'd be up for that hotel again but for a longer stay As when I mentioned a cheaper alternative they moaned that they wouldn't have breakfast included. One of my mates who stayed closer to the city centre paid twice as much as I did per night and didn't even get breakie!!

Couldn't stay at that hotel if I was without transport though as despite a bus service it's not regular!!

Interesting even the sky sports lot were agreeing with me in that the only moaners were those whose team had lost or they'd not bothered even going!! I would've loved it even if the Giants had've lost! Don't know what I would've thought had it rained but then again I was expecting it to anyway!! And it did for about a minute during the Saints wigan match!!
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure EmptyThu May 07, 2009 6:01 pm

washy wrote:
Yeah start saving now and booking it now as some hotels are already getting full and it's not official when nexts years is for certain as they coudl move it to another date!! I'm well up for it and would even consider the same hotel well talking to my folks they'd be up for that hotel again but for a longer stay As when I mentioned a cheaper alternative they moaned that they wouldn't have breakfast included. One of my mates who stayed closer to the city centre paid twice as much as I did per night and didn't even get breakie!!

Couldn't stay at that hotel if I was without transport though as despite a bus service it's not regular!!

Interesting even the sky sports lot were agreeing with me in that the only moaners were those whose team had lost or they'd not bothered even going!! I would've loved it even if the Giants had've lost! Don't know what I would've thought had it rained but then again I was expecting it to anyway!! And it did for about a minute during the Saints wigan match!!

Now Now Washy we get the picture but don't go overboard Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Millenium Magic - Success/Failure   Millenium Magic - Success/Failure Empty

Back to top Go down

Millenium Magic - Success/Failure
Page 1 of 1