Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warrington up next CC

Go down 
+12
defleppard
Ivor C&G Scarf
Shogun
washy
Clock-Face-Giant
joek
BO JANGLES
reidy
matt01
ponner
dannablue
Gem Bob
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Warrington up next CC Empty
PostSubject: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Obviously Leeds and Saints both got NL1 sides, we have the mighty Wire Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
dannablue
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Yes but if and when ;-) we reach the final we can say we did it the hard way and hold our heads up high - we dont need no helping hands!!!

I think it will be a cracking game, glad its at home.

It does mean in May we play Wigan at Magic Weekend, Wire at home in the cup, Wigan at home on 16th and then Wire away the week after that!
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 4:33 pm

dannablue wrote:

It does mean in May we play Wigan at Magic Weekend, Wire at home in the cup, Wigan at home on 16th and then Wire away the week after that!
By eck that's going to be a tough 4 weeks!!
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 5:04 pm

ponner wrote:
dannablue wrote:

Yeah I'd hate to be the Wigan and Wire forwards having to face Mase and his crew twice in a month.
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 6:24 pm

Oh bugger, would have preferred Blackpool or Barrow.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 6:41 pm

Great draw for us, the perfect chance to get even, Just hope we can pull in more fans than we did today.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 6:42 pm

reidy wrote:
Oh bugger, would have preferred Blackpool or Barrow.
Hunslet would have been nice and they we could have revenged the most embarrassing game I've ever seen.

Still beating Wire will be sweet enough.
Back to top Go down
joek
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Not what we needed, a shame really, we could have done with some rotation.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 8:03 pm

joek wrote:
Not what we needed, a shame really, we could have done with some rotation.

I reckon It's exactly what we need, We need to keep the intensity up, Playing lowly sides can upset your momentum, just like it did at Salford and we have to beat sides like Warrington at some stage in the comp, It's beating teams like them that get your confidence right up and get you on a roll, We have a couple of hard games before that game, We have to concentrate on winning those two, and when we have , a home tie against Wolves will seem like just what the Dr ordered, Remember we have a big squad now, we have to be able to handle games like this if we are going to win anything
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 8:08 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
Great draw for us, the perfect chance to get even, Just hope we can pull in more fans than we did today.

The away support was 2nd to none.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
Very true. The apathy shown by the Huddersfield public towards the challenge cup is embarrassing. Not sure what the club can do to boost interest as there would have been people who had free tickets for today that couldn't be bothered to turn up. Next time all but the kiddies have to pay it could be even worse.
Back to top Go down
dannablue
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 8:38 pm

I still fear the Huddersfield fans stay away from matches involving a Hull side from the incidents experienced a few years ago...I dont like Hull games, dont like their fans and refuse to go to the away games there after witnessing an incident whilst at a KR match. That in addition to it being on TV and the crowd was what I expected.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 8:47 pm

Thing is its not just HKR, we have always had poor crowds for challenge cup games and both times failed to sell or allocation for the final. The Huddersfield public just can't seem to get excited about the cup.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 8:39 am

The truth is Matt, The Huddersfield public never did get over exited about their rugby, They have always been a long way off the better supported teams. They have been better supported than they are now of course, but every team in the league can say that.
I really think the main reason is the 40 odd years in the wilderness, It will take a long time to cultivate new support from generations who have no background of watching League, Many of the fathers and Grandfathers who just got fed up with the Years of decline found other things to do, and so therefor did their children and Grandchildren, On top of that we live in a different world today, so much to do and so much for League to compete with.
K Davy deserves better, but whether he will ever get it i don't know, The only thing I can think of myself that would help, Is if we start to win things, there is nothing like a winning side to pull in the fans, There have ever been lots of people who only want to watch a winning team, and nothing has changed in that respect.

As far as i can see K Davy has done all he can to boost the attendances, A lot of men would have called it a day before now, Lets hope Mrs Davy is still as avid a fan as ever.
Back to top Go down
Clock-Face-Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
Clock-Face-Giant

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 11:34 am

I do believe that with success the fans will come.

But saying that i do believe we should be working alongside the football club and trying to convince some of the 16000 that turned up to watch third tier football last friday that there is more than one club in Huddersfield and it should be made affordable to watch both.

I suggest a tie in with the football club and for the next round of the CC all those that turn up to towns last home game get an entry discount voucher If fartown perform well in that game the footie fans might carry on coming (granted probably only while there is no football).

Just an idea
Back to top Go down
Clock-Face-Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
Clock-Face-Giant

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 11:45 am

ponner wrote:
dannablue wrote:

And whats the betting that if we beat the wire we draw Wigan in the cup played on the last weekend in may!!!
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 11:50 am

Clock-Face-Giant wrote:

But saying that i do believe we should be working alongside the football club and trying to convince some of the 16000 that turned up to watch third tier football last friday that there is more than one club in Huddersfield and it should be made affordable to watch both.

I suggest a tie in with the football club and for the next round of the CC all those that turn up to towns last home game get an entry discount voucher If fartown perform well in that game the footie fans might carry on coming (granted probably only while there is no football).

Just an idea

Have we not just got out of some sort of tie up with Town ? . And i really dont think it is strictly about cheap tickets , You cant get cheaper than Free like yesterday, The other thing is Town fans seem to be able to find the money, Are we saying that Rugby fans are somehow worse off financially than than Soccer ones.
Back to top Go down
washy
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 12:15 pm

I've put this on another forum about the attitude of a select few of Town fans. Some don't like having Giants rammed down their throats others refuse to support while Davy is in charge yet some may consider it if an when he steps down as it is after all first class sport and a boost for the town of Huddersfield while they're doing so good.
Back to top Go down
dannablue
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 4:46 pm

I can see where you are coming from with the football tie in but for someone like me who cannot abide it as a sport it wouldnt be of any benefit. I think the club need to go to "town" as it were to sell it on a large number of levels. I dont, for instance, read the Examiner nowadays and therefore unless I read the news on here I do not know the latest gossip. If you walked around Marsh where I live (or the surrounding areas) you would not know that the CC round was being played yesterday. Not enough posters, leaflets, etc. I dont have children so the going into schools thing doesnt reach me either. I dont know what the answer is but I think we need to find someone in marketing that does.
Back to top Go down
washy
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 4:59 pm

Funny that as one of Cobi's playleaders has children who are season ticket holders albeit the free primary ones and she had no idea that the game was going ahead never mind being on tv. Yet Cobi got a letter! So either her kids didn't say owt about their letter or they were missed out!
Back to top Go down
Clock-Face-Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
Clock-Face-Giant

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 10:31 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
Clock-Face-Giant wrote:

Just an idea

Have we not just got out of some sort of tie up with Town ? . And i really dont think it is strictly about cheap tickets , You cant get cheaper than Free like yesterday, The other thing is Town fans seem to be able to find the money, Are we saying that Rugby fans are somehow worse off financially than than Soccer ones.

Ive never once implied that we as rugby fans are financially worse off than the football fans what i'm trying to suggest is that to the town of Huddersfield a cup game between 2 top flight clubs who finished third and forth last season should be as, if not more important than a third tier football match but as the figures showed it wasn,t.
So surely we should be trying by whatever means neccesary to tempt some of the 16000 that were there last friday and will probably be there again when they play there last home game to come and fill the stadium when we play the wire.
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 8:09 am

We were not badly supported looking at other fixtures, in fact I think we were third highest. Even Warrington only had 500 more. Saints had nearly 3000 less. So it is not just Huddersfield.
Somehow the earlier rounds of the C/Cup do not attract good support any more apart from the exception of Hull/Leeds, until the semi-finals.
I do not know the answer as it is still the most popular competition in RL. It may be with BBC being live on both days when other matches are being played.
Probably an alternative would be to play non televised matches either Friday night or Saturday or Sunday evening well after the TV has finished.
Back to top Go down
Ivor C&G Scarf
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Ivor C&G Scarf

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 9:12 am

"5th ROUND TIE CONFIRMED FOR SATURDAY
5th ROUND TIE CONFIRMED FOR SATURDAY
Huddersfield Giants Carnegie Challenge Cup 5th Round tie against Warrington Wolves will take place on Saturday 8th May at the Galpharm Stadium, kick off 2.30pm.

The game which is a repeat of the 2009 Final will be also shown live on BBC Tv.

Tickets are priced as follows for the 5th Round tie:

Adults £12
Concessions £6

Junior season ticket holders are FREE OF CHARGE when utilising the voucher located in their 2010 booklets."

Source.

£12 - a bargain.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PhotoLens.co.uk
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Clock-Face-Giant wrote:
BO JANGLES wrote:
Clock-Face-Giant wrote:

Just an idea

Ive never once implied that we as rugby fans are financially worse off than the football fans what i'm trying to suggest is that to the town of Huddersfield a cup game between 2 top flight clubs who finished third and forth last season should be as, if not more important than a third tier football match but as the figures showed it wasn,t.
So surely we should be trying by whatever means neccesary to tempt some of the 16000 that were there last friday and will probably be there again when they play there last home game to come and fill the stadium when we play the wire.

And i never suggested you had implied anything, I was merely asking the question. I am all in favor of anything that gets the fans to come, But IMO you will convert very few Football fans to Rugby league, Unless they have some sort of history of watching, The 3rd and 4th placed team from last season mean nothing to them, they dont watch League so it makes no difference how good the teams are. I have 2 Grandsons 1 is 7 years old , I take him to every game and he is really getting into it, The other one is 15 years old and you couldn't pay him to go to watch Fartown, any more than you could pay me to go to a football game, He has just got no interest whatever in Rugby League. Once again IMO the majority of these 16,000 you mention will fall into that category, That's just the difference in the popularity between the two sports, I wish it were different.

What we also have to remember is that Fartown have never been a well supported club as i remember, Even in their glory days in the 50s they were well behind the same clubs they are still behind today. We did get better support than we do today, but so did every other club, Most of the support disappeared in the dark days , and most of it has never come back, so we are by and large fighting for a new generation of Fans , And that is not easy. I dont know what can be done, I wish I did, I'm sure at some point K Davy is going to say enough is enough.
Back to top Go down
defleppard
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
defleppard

Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Think you are right in what you are saying in the above ^ Bo.I first started going to Fartown late 70's,there was precious little interest in the club in the town.It got worse not better during the 80's,just the hard core of loyal fans numbering in the few hundred.

The soccer club after setting up in 1908 soon became a leading light in that code,won some trophies became quite famous so RL had a serious competitor that floating sports fans could turn to.There's a rivalry between the codes now like it or not.Unlike in Hull,Wigan and Leeds (for many years) where soccer just limped along.

One encouraging sign to me now as I move around the area is seeing all the young kids walking around in their replica Fartown shirts,plus older teens in the streets passing a rugby league ball between themselves,something you would never have seen anywhere up until maybe as recent as the last 5 or 6 years.

Ken Davy has done wonders to regenerate interest for the game in this town but it's been a long and hard road back,as I'm sure he would be the first to acknowledge.Basically RL was no longer in the blood of many,it was a game as alien to many as say hockey or basketball because as you say generations had been missed.They are doing the right thing by targeting the youngsters with free passes etc.

Ken D as we know is no longer a young man,there is a concern now about who will come forward to carry on his mantle,and keep the interest moving forward and not see all the great work go to waste once more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warrington up next CC   Warrington up next CC Empty

Back to top Go down

Warrington up next CC
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next