Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded

Go down 
+7
Mad Lockwood Giant
adelaide-giant.no9
Ivor C&G Scarf
penninegiant
farawayfartown
FLYINGPROP
ponner
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded Empty
PostSubject: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 8:02 pm

Click here
Listen to the interview at the bottom left of the page. Think about how far we've come since those days. cheers
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 10:55 pm

ponner wrote:
Click here
Listen to the interview at the bottom left of the page. Think about how far we've come since those days. cheers

That's top left !! Very Happy Very Happy Wink
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 1:12 pm

A fantastic man Keith Burhouse and his dad, (Ronnie? if I remember rightly), kept Fartown RLFC alive

I remember Mick Murphy coming in to save the club and along the way Neil Shuttleworth, Jimmy Collins and Joe Bramley.

Worked down at the old ground Painting changing rooms, working on the old wooden stand, doing work on the field ect, then back at night to train.

Was one of the 200+ that used to go watch em every week as well, home and away. Loved it

When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded 21033
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 1:21 pm

Me and Shogun were there too. When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded 21033
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
farawayfartown
farawayfartown

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 12:52 am

and me, used to sell souvenirs on that old trestle table under the west stand...........even A team games !
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 8:59 am

and me and our lass .............and the lads

Had been living in Wolverhampton and travelling up to matches before this sad episode but managed to get a job back in Gods county

At the time -- Andrew was 3 plus - and Matt was in a carry-sling on my back 4 months old !!

Used to go in stand so that it was a bit more sheltered for t`young-un and he could have a drink etc --biggun used to run his Dinky cars on the wood seats there was so much space !

Always remember one sweet day when JB was on the "gate" --and charged me kiddies price for matt (3 months) - but hey they needed every penny at the time!

Nuther thing was when they scored - and crowd applauded and cheered - Matt used to start crying Sad ---and I used to have to take him round the back of stand and calm him down !! - didnt miss much play though!! ---still does it today I believe!! Wink Very Happy Worrying but still happy times and all part of life`s eich tapestry I suppose !!
But Im still grateful for ALL who at least TRIED (and obviously succeeded) in keeping our great club alive!!

Jimmy Collins, John Bailey, Les Coulter god bless em !! RIP and the Burhouses Joe Bramley and Mick Murphy amongst others

and the others who mucked in -- the souvenir and programme sellers - the Rotherys- Margaret - connie and others too at the supporters
Well done gang!!

Gotta stop ........................getting a little emotional ........................ Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

oops ---and the ball boys of course (dont want a ban!!) Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 9:02 am

FLYINGPROP wrote:
A fantastic man Keith Burhouse and his dad, (Ronnie? if I remember rightly), kept Fartown RLFC alive

I remember Mick Murphy coming in to save the club and along the way Neil Shuttleworth, Jimmy Collins and Joe Bramley.

Worked down at the old ground Painting changing rooms, working on the old wooden stand, doing work on the field ect, then back at night to train.

Was one of the 200+ that used to go watch em every week as well, home and away. Loved it

When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded 21033

yep at some away games FP --there were more Fartowners ON the pitch than off it it seemed!!
Thank goodness for the bus driver and big Stu as well!!
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 9:11 am

Aiiiiii and the old kit man was a great guy, his 1st name was Frank but cant remember his surname.

Bunged me an old jersey to keep and train in on a couple of occasions, funny thing is we were up the creek but everyone pulled together and I really enjoyed that time.

Last edited by FLYINGPROP on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ivor C&G Scarf
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Ivor C&G Scarf

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 9:41 am

Afraid I didn't go to any A team natches - was too busy at the away game!

Watching the game from the terrace because the stand was closed!

I remember shaking Mick Murphy's hand & saying "Thank You" in the Supporters' Club when it was announced that he was taking over.

I later asked him if I could take photos at the last game there. To my eternal regret I didn't ask to take photos of the inside!
Back to top Go down
http://www.PhotoLens.co.uk
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player
adelaide-giant.no9

Number of posts : 1835
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 11:28 pm

which was the last game there, was it the day we won the div 3 championship ... i used to watch us play at fartown and remember the div 3 winning season , but never went to leeds road to watch , left the game till we moved to the mac
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 11:40 pm

FLYINGPROP wrote:
Aiiiiii and the old kit man was a great guy, his 1st name was Frank but cant remember his surname.

DOYLE WASNT IT FP??

Bunged me an old jersey to keep and train in on a couple of occasions, funny thing is we were up the creek but everyone pulled together and I really enjoyed that time.
Back to top Go down
Mad Lockwood Giant
Ballboy
Ballboy

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 6:02 pm

In my opinion Keith Burhouse deserves an MBE for what he did. He is a very close friend of my Dad and myself. He saved the club and put hours of unpaid time, money of his own and effort in to keeping the Fartown club going when John Bailey without warning walked away. He told me he went straight from work to Fartown and was there usually from around 5pm until around 3 in the morning! That is an unsung hero if ever I heard one.

The club owes him a debt of gratitude. I am going to start a campaign if anyone is interested - a petition/list of signatures if anyone is willing to support me? I hope we can show our appreciation to a man who has given his all. He has been quite ill and still not well, but never moans. He is a true gentleman too! Smile
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 7:09 pm

So did Les Coulter mate. He went as far as re-mortgaging his house to save the club.
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 7:11 pm

penninegiant wrote:
and me and our lass .............and the lads

Had been living in Wolverhampton and travelling up to matches before this sad episode but managed to get a job back in Gods county

At the time -- Andrew was 3 plus - and Matt was in a carry-sling on my back 4 months old !!

Used to go in stand so that it was a bit more sheltered for t`young-un and he could have a drink etc --biggun used to run his Dinky cars on the wood seats there was so much space !

Always remember one sweet day when JB was on the "gate" --and charged me kiddies price for matt (3 months) - but hey they needed every penny at the time!

Nuther thing was when they scored - and crowd applauded and cheered - Matt used to start crying Sad ---and I used to have to take him round the back of stand and calm him down !! - didnt miss much play though!! ---still does it today I believe!! Wink Very Happy Worrying but still happy times and all part of life`s eich tapestry I suppose !!
But Im still grateful for ALL who at least TRIED (and obviously succeeded) in keeping our great club alive!!

Jimmy Collins, John Bailey, Les Coulter god bless em !! RIP and the Burhouses Joe Bramley and Mick Murphy amongst others

and the others who mucked in -- the souvenir and programme sellers - the Rotherys- Margaret - connie and others too at the supporters
Well done gang!!

Gotta stop ........................getting a little emotional ........................ Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

oops ---and the ball boys of course (dont want a ban!!) Wink Very Happy

You didn`t mention the pork pies, that was one of the highlights of the game, the half time pork pie (the juice dribbled down your chin) It were great.
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 10:05 pm

penninegiant wrote:
FLYINGPROP wrote:

DOYLE WASNT IT FP??

It was PG Frank Doyle Thats the fella

Cheers mate Smile
Back to top Go down
farawayfartown
farawayfartown

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:17 pm

yeah frank doyle, top bloke. remember helping out neil whittaker with the stats at a team games on a friday night. then 1st team games on the sunday.

I even had a spell commentating on the club videos that went to the RFL for disciplianary stuff. Dont know what they would have made of my dulcet tones lol

some great times though, it seems all different now, ish I could go back for a day to that last game at Fartown when we beat York in the yorkshire cup..........
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:19 pm

Blimey Dan, if you have done commentating already, put in for Stevo's job, the old fart should be retiring soon.
You'd be 200% better than him thats for sure!
Back to top Go down
farawayfartown
farawayfartown

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:24 pm

lol used to really enjoy climing gantrys, and rickety ones at that at places like tattersfield and houghton road......
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:25 pm

hell get all mixed up between calaret and gold/ Stoke City and the American team he follows !!

Itd be bloody hilarious !! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
farawayfartown
farawayfartown

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:25 pm

it was all great fun though, as said earlier everyone mucked in and helped out.
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:26 pm

farawayfartown wrote:
lol used to really enjoy climing gantrys, and rickety ones at that at places like tattersfield and houghton road......

I don't like heights anyway, so would have sheet meself wi' that lark! confused
Back to top Go down
farawayfartown
farawayfartown

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:26 pm

penninegiant wrote:
hell get all mixed up between calaret and gold/ Stoke City and the American team he follows !!

Itd be bloody hilarious !! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

What the "Green City Giants" lol
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:30 pm

Stan Mathews throws out a long un to Buck Masters --and wait ---Wally gibson has scored a home run Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
farawayfartown
farawayfartown

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:32 pm

lol i think wally scored a few "home runs" while in the uk Very Happy
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 11:37 pm

...and from some rumours --a few away ones as well Faraway!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded   When Huddersfield RLFC  nearly folded Empty

Back to top Go down

When Huddersfield RLFC nearly folded
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next