Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hodgson..

Go down 
+18
Pharmergibbs
reidy
Ivor C&G Scarf
penninegiant
Durham Giant
matt01
defleppard
joek
CJ
dannablue
BO JANGLES
FLYINGPROP
ponner
Gem Bob
Old School
Shogun
adelaide-giant.no9
Giant-Dragon
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Giant-Dragon
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer
Giant-Dragon

Number of posts : 714
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyMon Apr 19, 2010 9:49 pm

I've seen on the other side that apparently Hodgy B has signed a contract with Warrington..
crap or do you lot think its possible?
Back to top Go down
http://thoughtsofclaire.wordpress.com
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player
adelaide-giant.no9

Number of posts : 1835
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 5:37 am

he has no ties to fartown so if wire offer him more he might go, players like crabtree raleigh and reilly are club men who are local, brett is an aussie and has no feelings etc for hudds over anyother team
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 7:54 am

We have good cover in Cudjoe if we do not renew his contract. We seem to be in the good position of having a quality squad, this means that the club don`t have to pay a ransom to renew contracts.
Back to top Go down
Old School
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Ponner get it locked mate.
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Old School wrote:

This is www.giants.co.nr not www.rlfans.com

Wink
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 10:45 am

Old School wrote:
I could lock it if I wanted to knowing the truth but I won't. It aint good news though. Sad
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
Giant-Dragon
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer
Giant-Dragon

Number of posts : 714
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 12:41 pm

ponner wrote:
Old School wrote:
I could lock it if I wanted to knowing the truth but I won't. It aint good news though. Sad

oh? Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://thoughtsofclaire.wordpress.com
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 1:16 pm

Positionally fantastic, great Rugby head on him and calming influence too but lacks the pace IMO, always looks to get rid to one of the wingers when fielding the kick.
A 1 year deal would have been fine, 2 year deal and we need to get over it and look elsewhere as no-one is irreplaceable.
Heard rumour Owen at Cas on the way? Nowhere near Brett standard yet but a great Rugby player and age on his side unlike the mighty Brett.
He would be missed but TBH 1 man doesn't make a team and we have played well and scored points a plenty when he has been missing on occasions.
Just my view of things
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 pm

FLYINGPROP wrote:
Positionally fantastic, great Rugby head on him and calming influence too but lacks the pace IMO, always looks to get rid to one of the wingers when fielding the kick.
A 1 year deal would have been fine, 2 year deal and we need to get over it and look elsewhere as no-one is irreplaceable.
Heard rumour Owen at Cas on the way? Nowhere near Brett standard yet but a great Rugby player and age on his side unlike the mighty Brett.
He would be missed but TBH 1 man doesn't make a team and we have played well and scored points a plenty when he has been missing on occasions.
Just my view of things

Agree with just about all of that.
Back to top Go down
dannablue
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:12 pm

ponner wrote:
Old School wrote:

Now I am sad and fearing the worst....the thought of him being here and playing for someone else is one I didnt want to have...if he leaves us I would much rather he went home....oh dear No Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
CJ
Ballboy
Ballboy
CJ

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:23 pm

Sad news if what is said is true but I think our club should have pushed the boat out. We have a great looking squad that will be pushing for honours this year but all we need to do is lose 2 or 3 certain players of that squad and all of a sudden that team looks ordinary.
Back to top Go down
joek
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 6:44 pm

agree. We can't afford to lose him, he offers so much in attack, organising defence, reading of a game and as captain. Other players say he has freakish ability, so we HAVE to keep him!
Back to top Go down
defleppard
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
defleppard

Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 7:07 pm

Now we have Brough on board I don't think losing Bodgy would be as disastrous as it would have been - mainly in terms of a game plan.

As NB pointed out int paper,DB was combining well with KB on Sunday just as he wanted him to do,and not trying to do it all himself.Bodgy's big play on offense was coming into the line as a second stand off,now we are not seeing that as it's not so crucial.Bodgy cannot return kicks that is his one weakness.

What Bodgy does possess is mental toughness he thrives on pressure,the sort that would break other players.Vast experience must be a great calming effect on the rest of the team,defensive positional sense outstanding and still got the legs to make the play.Goalkicking exceptional but we others who want to take on that responsibility

Point I am trying to make is we are not quite as reliant on Bodgy now as we were last year.We may not realise how good Bodgy was till he's gone but I think Leroy might be ready to step into the FB role now.He's another who obviously has plenty of confidence in his own ability.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 7:17 pm

Who would step into Cudjoe's wing role?

Brett is worldclass. There are very few players who are properly worldclass, maybe only 3 or 4 in Super League. Why on Earth would we want to let one of the best players in the competition go to our rivals?
Back to top Go down
dannablue
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 7:23 pm

matt01 wrote:

Brett is worldclass. There are very few players who are properly worldclass, maybe only 3 or 4 in Super League. Why on Earth would we want to let one of the best players in the competition go to our rivals?

I totally agree. If the club want to be one of the top clubs in the competition then we need to keep the best players for ourselves not let them go to opposition clubs. It would of course be a different thing if he were to return home to Australia. It would be sad to see him go but at least we wouldnt have him come back to haunt us when playing against him.
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 8:05 pm

matt01 wrote:

My thoughts exactly Matt.
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Great debate and appreciate what everyone is saying but ATEOTD Ken doesn't have a bottomless pit, until the people of Huddersfield get off their asses and actually go and support the club putting money thru the turnstiles and merchandising then we cannot afford to pay a player who will be 33yr old before the new season kicks off a massive salary.
I am sure NB will have been consulted on this and feels the same way, I will be alot more upset when NB decides to take up a job back home cos he will be one who we struggle to replace!!!!
Get Owen from Cas in with Young Elliot Hodgson as back up and keep Leroy on the wing or alternatively sign a points machine winger ala Pat Richards and move Leroy to Fullback.
If in future we come up against B Hodgson at Wire, get Broughy to turn him around and have to work the ball out of the in goal and we have it cracked!!! :-)
Back to top Go down
defleppard
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
defleppard

Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 3:38 am

FLYINGPROP wrote:
Great debate and appreciate what everyone is saying but ATEOTD Ken doesn't have a bottomless pit, until the people of Huddersfield get off their asses and actually go and support the club putting money thru the turnstiles and merchandising then we cannot afford to pay a player who will be 33yr old before the new season kicks off a massive salary.
I am sure NB will have been consulted on this and feels the same way, I will be alot more upset when NB decides to take up a job back home cos he will be one who we struggle to replace!!!!
Get Owen from Cas in with Young Elliot Hodgson as back up and keep Leroy on the wing or alternatively sign a points machine winger ala Pat Richards and move Leroy to Fullback.
If in future we come up against B Hodgson at Wire, get Broughy to turn him around and have to work the ball out of the in goal and we have it cracked!!! :-)

Yep agree FP, 'fraid this is the downside of having to work within the constraints of a salary cap.It's the Sean Long scenario all over again,at 32 years of age are they automatically worth another 2 years based on what's happened in the past.

Surprised this story has broken quite so early in the season.
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 7:35 am

Taking into account that he'll be 33 by the time he plays a game for Warrington and that he's already showing signs of picking up little injuries frequently then I can understand where the club are coming from by offering just a 1 year deal. Wire came in with a 2 year deal on massive money so IMO you can't knock either the club or Brett for their decisions. We've still got the pleasure of seeing him in claret and gold for the rest of the season so let's enjoy it while it lasts.
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 7:38 am

I think this is a wise decision by the club.

However i am not as confident as some about Leroy as a full back. At Salford he looked poor both in catching the high ball and positional sense. They are two things he should be able to do regardless of how the rest of the team were playing.
Back to top Go down
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player
adelaide-giant.no9

Number of posts : 1835
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 7:38 am

ponner wrote:
Taking into account that he'll be 33 by the time he plays a game for Warrington and that he's already showing signs of picking up little injuries frequently then I can understand where the club are coming from by offering just a 1 year deal. Wire came in with a 2 year deal on massive money so IMO you can't knock either the club or Brett for their decisions. We've still got the pleasure of seeing him in claret and gold for the rest of the season so let's enjoy it while it lasts.

1 year would have been good, 2 years is too long, hes a star player but as he gets older he will pick up injuries

nobody can blame hodgy if he goes to wire, its his super he is thinking of
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 8:23 am

There are several ways of looking at a round ball -but they`re no different

Like many other Aussies , in the end its UK in their twilight years and make what you can out of it eh??
Cant say I blame em - but we`re the ones picking up the short straw here after taking the plunge getting him over here

This scenario seems very similar to a certain Anthony Smith -- and hey---guess where he`s going !

We had a class Aussie (as Bo knows first hand ) who WANTED to stay but was "released"
We now have one who wants the reverse
You cant have it all ways and sadly thats the nature of the reformed beast - its business!-with a bit o sport rolled in - and you wont get me apologising for saying it

Players take the best contract they can get and in reverse the players are like cars in a garage forecourt (sadly) - purely commodities to be retained or disposed of depending on their value

Playing - and running well --and injury free ----great lad !!

Loss of form / injury risk ---------------Ta ra!!

Having said that Brett is one of those few special players -despite his age who has a great influence on his team
Brad was another
Many halfbacks have had it in the past
Smales, Hardisty and Long etc
Players who -if THEY are below par --so , many times, are the team
If they have a stormer - then opposition watch out

And they`re consistent - with good performaces generally week in and week out
THAT`s the big difference

Much as Leroy has improved and I wont take anything away from the lad hes coming on leaps and bounds - I now start to wonder what Nathan feels is his No ! position

Are we gonna replace him with the Cas lad (or ANO) and keep him on the wing ---or IS he the replacement FB in the scenario we now face?
I think that NEEDS deciding for the lads sake and soon

We had a lad once on the brink of GB duty at standoff - who got messed about position wise --and look what it did for his prospects - poor devil (but thats another well worn discussion!)

Its a shame that money has once again TALKED - but sadly theres no allegiance in the game any more except I suspect "homegrown locals" --the Seniors, Reillys, Raleighs and Cudjoes and thats what the club seem rightly to be fostering

Sadly when they too get to the Brett Hodgson stage -- many times - the reverse hard line commodity scenario mentioned above sadly comes into play

Bottom line --you cant have it both ways --and when NB gets the nod --we`ll have it all to face again
But Brad / De Vere / were "released" 9 one returning!)
Bret Hodgson is "leaving"

It aint our job to sort these things out - but we can suffer the consequences
But lifes like that!

Would have liked to have kept Brett - our loss COULD be Wires gain
Only time will tell
Whatever , we`ll be down at t`Galph - and on here enjoying or regretting it! - whilst Mr Thewlis et al add up the pound notes !

Wink
Back to top Go down
dannablue
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 12:31 pm

I dont blame Brett for looking after himself and his family one bit.

What does surprise me is that we are losing a player who has great influence on other team members - injured or not - and has a lot of experience he can share with the growing number of youngsters the club want to bring on.

Leroy would have benefited from Brett's presence, as I am sure would many others.

This move is obviously as a result of signing Brough who has taken a large amount out of the pot it I only hope it is not to the detriment of the club as we are losing our captain, the current man of steel, one of the best full backs in the game, and a damn fine player to boot.

Wire will be grinning from ear to ear with this deal.

I only hope the club realises the disappointment the fans will feel, and are ready for the backlash.

As for enjoying him playing for the rest of the season - a lot will but a lot will get on his back.

What will be will be but I dont have to like it.
Back to top Go down
Ivor C&G Scarf
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Ivor C&G Scarf

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 1:25 pm

If he has signed, what a disastrous PR exercise for it to be let out of the bag now. Someone at whichever club deserves to be sacked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PhotoLens.co.uk
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. EmptyThu Apr 22, 2010 1:49 pm

TBH He will get my backing whilever he pulls on the famous C&G jersey, as Ponner has said the old boy will be 33 before he plays a game for Wire and that's knocking on in Fullback years and he is starting to get knocks.
Broughy will go on to be one of the best signings made by Fartown weather we like it or not and his influence will grow the more he plays.
We have a pack 2nd to none, a halfback pairing to rival most, threequarters are decent but this is where we could possibly strengthen and a new Fullback with pace who chimes into the line would top it all off.
whatever happens with Brett he has my best wishes, hope he wins something while still with us to top it all off, but the major thing is to try get NB to extend his stay, can't see it happening but who knows?
Lets get behind the lads every week and finally get the monkey off our back by winning something.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hodgson.. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hodgson..   Hodgson.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Hodgson..
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next