Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fien will be a Giant in 2010

Go down 
+12
BO JANGLES
boomer
adelaide-giant.no9
matt01
Shogun
JudgeB
Meltham Giant
joek
Durham Giant
Pharmergibbs
dannablue
ponner
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Fien will be a Giant in 2010 Empty
PostSubject: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 7:27 am

Quote :
Nathan Fien will leave the Warriors at the end of the season with the World Cup-winning Kiwis halfback on the verge of signing a three-year deal with Huddersfield.

The 29-year-old has been in the sights of the UK Super League club since last July, when Nathan Brown was recruited as coach soon after it was announced he would be replaced at the Dragons in 2009 by Wayne Bennett.

Fien was close to a deal last year before the Giants shifted their efforts to former Canberra bad boy Todd Carney and they doubled their efforts when Carney was denied a UK visa this year.

The Warriors refused to release Fien, saying it was too close to the start of the NRL season, but they seem powerless, or unwilling, to act now. "We are very close to do a three-year deal with Huddersfield," his agent Jim Banaghan said.

"Unless something miraculous comes from the Warriors in the next few days, I would say it's a given that Nathan will agree to the Huddersfield deal by the end of the week.

"Nathan Brown is determined to have Nathan Fien as part of his plans next year. He nearly had him last year but went for Todd Carney and, as Nathan Brown admits, that was a big mistake in a number of ways because Fien is a better player and, it appears, a better character.

"The Warriors would dearly love to have Nathan Fien as part of their plans, but they might not be in a position to do a three-year contract with him. They would like to wait until about May before making an offer, which is a little bit strange because they have seen him play for four years now and he did play in the World Cup and won it.

"I would have thought they were in a position to make a decision straight away but apparently they're not and, as a result, Nathan may be lost to them."

Fien has been a fixture of the Warriors since his arrival from the Cowboys in 2005, and is only three games short of bringing up his century of games for the Auckland-based club. He has spent time at hooker and five-eighth but was outstanding for the Warriors as a halfback in the back end of 2008 and carried that form through to the World Cup.

He started in the No 7 jersey against the Eels last night, with newcomer Joel Moon at five-eighth, but it's well documented the Warriors have considerable options in the halves for a change.

Stacey Jones wasn't considered because of a calf injury, while Liam Foran, Aaron Heremaia, Isaac John and Daniel O'Regan are waiting in the wings.

Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said they would be disappointed to lose Fien but weren't in a position to counter the Huddersfield offer. "We're just not ready," he said.

"We haven't entered discussion with him. We have a new combination in the halves and we wanted to see how the season unravels first so, from our point of view, we weren't looking to make any offers until we had seen them play a bit.

"I suspect that if we did lose him, it was because of money we couldn't offer or we weren't prepared to make an offer. Nathan made it quite clear and we appreciate it that his priority is to look after his family [because he has three young children]. But he loves it here."

Banaghan said Fien loves Auckland so much that he intends settling here when his Huddersfield career ends and was hopeful of getting into coaching and player development.
LINK
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
dannablue
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 8:12 am

Great news! Lets hope it comes off - and they start applying for his visa now!!
Back to top Go down
Pharmergibbs
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 9:28 am

At Who's expense? Brown, Robinson, Faiumu?

Great news just wonder what the knock on effect will be for our current squad.
Back to top Go down
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2009-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 10:42 am

I could see Robinson going unfortunately.

With Fien at 7 and Fulton at 13 that would be the two playmkers we need
Back to top Go down
joek
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 256

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Is a top player! Would add real strength to us. We are becoming a draw even for top players.
Back to top Go down
Pharmergibbs
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 2:02 pm

Durham Giant wrote:

I think Fein and Fulton would require us to lose someone off he quota. On that basis I would keep robinson and get rid of Faiumu. Chances are if he is convicted at his trial at the end of the season he would not be granted entry back in any event
Back to top Go down
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 2:20 pm

Yes i am not sure about Faiumu but he showed glimpses of his ability last season but this season seems a bit of a no show. Any ideas why he did not play yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Meltham Giant
Meltham Giant

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 3:16 pm

Durham Giant wrote:
Yes i am not sure about Faiumu but he showed glimpses of his ability last season but this season seems a bit of a no show. Any ideas why he did not play yesterday.

Sure I heard that Faiumu and Eorl got injured during training on saturday morning. But don't think they were serious injuries so don't panic!
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 3:25 pm

Meltham Giant wrote:
Durham Giant wrote:

Sure I heard that Faiumu and Eorl got injured during training on saturday morning. But don't think they were serious injuries so don't panic!
Quote :
Huddersfield Giants have made 2 changes to their 19 man squad with David Faiumu and Eorl Crabtree ruled out of today's clash with Castleford and replaced by Keal Carlile and Shaun Lunt.

Crabtree and Faiumu suffered adverse reactions following a training session and will be replaced by Lunt and Carlile who come into contention for the clash at The Jungle (6pm).

Giants Managing Director Richard Thewlis recieved permission from the RFL to make the late change. He explained:

"Eorl and David suffered reactions and were unable to take their places in the 19 man squad, we requested the changes and recieved full permission from the RFL, and therefore Keal Carlile and Shaun Lunt take their places."
LINK
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
JudgeB
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
JudgeB

Number of posts : 246

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 4:09 pm

Durham Giant wrote:

I thought Fulton was only on loan for this season and with Fein not arriving til 2010 doubt they will play together. Or do you know something I don't DG?
Back to top Go down
Pharmergibbs
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 6:12 pm

Presuming Fulton is only a season loan, and no one really knows, we can assume Fien will take his place at the end of the year. If Fulton is here for longer my eyes would turn imediatley turn to Faiumu for the chop. Like I said above if he is convicted he will not be back anyway. Otherwise I think you are looking at Jammer, I think he is in the last year of his contract.
Back to top Go down
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 7:10 pm

JudgeB wrote:
Durham Giant wrote:

I thought Fulton was only on loan for this season and with Fein not arriving til 2010 doubt they will play together. Or do you know something I don't DG?

I saw some press release about Fulton and the way i read it was that he was being released rather than coming on loan. I get the feeling he could come here for longer if he gets in and we want to keep him
Back to top Go down
joek
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 256

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Faiumu is a class act. I'd like to keep him.
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2009 10:20 pm

joek wrote:
Faiumu is a class act. I'd like to keep him.

Me too. Great sidestep.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 7:58 am

Quote :
Banaghan, who represents Monaghan, also warned that another of his clients, New Zealand scrum-half Nathan Fien, will pull out of a proposed move to Huddersfield next season unless the Giants can come up with "government-approved financial arrangements".

Is this signing now in doubt due to the loop-hole being closed? It is believed this will cost the club/player 12% of their salary.

I think closing the loophole is fair. If they want to work and live in this country they should pay their fair share of tax.
Back to top Go down
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player
adelaide-giant.no9

Number of posts : 1835
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 8:34 am

if the agent is demanding things like this tell him to take a hike, if fien was that brilliant he would be snapped up by an nrl team.. he is a good player coming for his pension , he would be a good signing but not a world beater over a three year period
Back to top Go down
boomer
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 9:16 am

līm not to bothered either way, l think McNally is head and shoulders above anyone in the Championship, should not be too much of a step up for him in SL.
with the right coaching, and the right protection on and off the field, it should not take him long to get up to speed, fitness for an 18 year old should not be a problem
a bit more muscle, and stamina training, polish up his act, and away we go.
if their good enough their old enough.
Back to top Go down
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player
adelaide-giant.no9

Number of posts : 1835
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 9:19 am

boomer wrote:
līm not to bothered either way, l think McNally is head and shoulders above anyone in the Championship, should not be too much of a step up for him in SL.
with the right coaching, and the right protection on and off the field, it should not take him long to get up to speed, fitness for an 18 year old should not be a problem

i might be behind here , but where does mcnally play??? position i meant , i know he plays for whitehaven
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 10:23 am

Closing this loop hole might be the best thing for League in this country for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Ivor C&G Scarf
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Ivor C&G Scarf

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 12:25 pm

adelaide-giant.no9 wrote:
boomer wrote:

i might be behind here , but where does mcnally play??? position i meant , i know he plays for whitehaven

Scrum half in British talk. Sorry, can't interpret that into Ozzie-speak. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.PhotoLens.co.uk
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 2:02 pm

d`yer mean this when it sounds like a schoolboy cap size ivor?? Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 3:41 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
Closing this loop hole might be the best thing for League in this country for a long time.

Thats what i was saying. For every Aussie playing in the SL there is one less British person.
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyWed Apr 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Ivor C&G Scarf wrote:

Scrum half in British talk. Sorry, can't interpret that into Ozzie-speak. Wink

Oh 7/3rds init? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dannablue
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 568

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 5:43 pm

Gem Bob wrote:
BO JANGLES wrote:

Thats what i was saying. For every Aussie playing in the SL there is one less British person.

That said I could name one Aussie who has been worth his weight (and more) in gold this season... Fien will be a Giant in 2010 21033
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 EmptyThu Apr 09, 2009 5:45 pm

dannablue wrote:
Gem Bob wrote:
BO JANGLES wrote:

That said I could name one Aussie who has been worth his weight (and more) in gold this season... Fien will be a Giant in 2010 21033

Fein ain't coming, but I know who might be......... Smile Wink Smile Wink Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fien will be a Giant in 2010   Fien will be a Giant in 2010 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fien will be a Giant in 2010
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next