Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?

Go down 
+9
joek
matt01
Old School
anwar1983huddersfieldwhuf
Pharmergibbs
BO JANGLES
ponner
Gem Bob
FLYINGPROP
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? Empty
PostSubject: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 10:48 am

Right then we are been linked with all these players, which are we gonna sign Perm if any and which would you prefer if any?
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:05 pm

None.

Id rather we looked to our own.
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm all for bringing an import in if he's going to improve the team. The club are already doing a great job at developing the youngsters coming through and in a year or two it will show. Bringing an oversees star over like Hodgson/De Vere will have done the younger end no end of good though as he'll have been an idol to some of them.
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:18 pm

fair comments from both of ya, I think the Overseas players bring lots to the team, if Cudjoe can watch and learn from Brett it will stand him in good stead.

I also agree with Gem that if we have players as good or if not better they should play before bringing in an overseas player.

I just wanted folks views as since we didn't get Carney we are linked with every overseas star available in the press and other sites.

Can't see us getting any of em though and not sure if need em?
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:21 pm

FLYINGPROP wrote:
fair comments from both of ya, I think the Overseas players bring lots to the team, if Cudjoe can watch and learn from Brett it will stand him in good stead.

I also agree with Gem that if we have players as good or if not better they should play before bringing in an overseas player.

I just wanted folks views as since we didn't get Carney we are linked with every overseas star available in the press and other sites.

You never know mate. Who would have thoght De Vere would have signed for us with his reputation?
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:29 pm

ponner wrote:
FLYINGPROP wrote:

You never know mate. Who would have thoght De Vere would have signed for us with his reputation?

Aiiii but was getting on mate, although not knocking him cos did a great job for us. Like you say it's good for the club too cos gets them the press and some of the top UK youngsters start to think mmmmmmmmmm maybe I should be looking to get talks with the Giants. Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? 21033
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:39 pm

Wasn't he only about 27 when he signed for us though? He's started up his career again i think for Brisbane.
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:48 pm

ponner wrote:
Wasn't he only about 27 when he signed for us though? He's started up his career again i think for Brisbane.

27 knocking on for a center nowadays mate Wink ya be well past it even if you were a prop, mind you size is on your side Smile Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 1:53 pm

Hey ive lost a stone over the last month or so since i started working again. Under 14 stone now Smile
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 2:06 pm

IMO there should be a maximum of two overseas players per club, That way we would be able to see the style and class of some quality players ,but the bulk of the teams would be home grown. The numbers of foreign players in our game is a joke, no wonder we can't produce a team to give the Aussies a game, Trouble is most fans couldn't give a FF about beating the Aussies just so long as some of their players help us win trophies, I think if you asked all fans of all clubs which they would prefer ,Their team to beat Saints on a fairly regular basis, or England to beat the Aussies again, i reckon most would want their own team winning things.
We have a classic example of what's currently happening if you look at Wigan over the last 10 years, Time was a GB side would have 5 or 6 wigan players in the team, often more, Now they are lucky if they get more than Hock in the side cause all their home grown players have been shipped out to make way for foreigners.

If the RFL dont have a clampdown on Overseas players, where are all the young players going to come from to provide real competition for International places like they used to do .
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 3:01 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
IMO there should be a maximum of two overseas players per club, That way we would be able to see the style and class of some quality players ,but the bulk of the teams would be home grown. The numbers of foreign players in our game is a joke, no wonder we can't produce a team to give the Aussies a game, Trouble is most fans couldn't give a FF about beating the Aussies just so long as some of their players help us win trophies, I think if you asked all fans of all clubs which they would prefer ,Their team to beat Saints on a fairly regular basis, or England to beat the Aussies again, i reckon most would want their own team winning things.
We have a classic example of what's currently happening if you look at Wigan over the last 10 years, Time was a GB side would have 5 or 6 wigan players in the team, often more, Now they are lucky if they get more than Hock in the side cause all their home grown players have been shipped out to make way for foreigners.

If the RFL dont have a clampdown on Overseas players, where are all the young players going to come from to provide real competition for International places like they used to do .

Well said mate.
Smile
Back to top Go down
Pharmergibbs
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 3:16 pm

There ought to be less without a doubt. But I do think that they bring an enormous amount to the competition. 4 genuine imports per team or something like that but no exeptions like there currently is. Personally I love the speculation and the excitment when we do sign an aussie. On the other hand I take equal pleasure seeing Lawrence and Cudjoe coming through and make and impact. I am really hoping McNally comes and can make some sort of breakthrough next year.

Lessening the number of imports to this sort of level would do our internationl game some good. I must say however that it is true in my case, I would much rather see my beloved Giants a force in Superleague and winning silverware than have more sucess on the international front. Both would be nice but I know which one I would choose.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Pharmergibbs wrote:
There ought to be less without a doubt. But I do think that they bring an enormous amount to the competition. 4 genuine imports per team or something like that but no exeptions like there currently is. Personally I love the speculation and the excitment when we do sign an aussie. On the other hand I take equal pleasure seeing Lawrence and Cudjoe coming through and make and impact. I am really hoping McNally comes and can make some sort of breakthrough next year.

Lessening the number of imports to this sort of level would do our internationl game some good. I must say however that it is true in my case, I would much rather see my beloved Giants a force in Superleague and winning silverware than have more sucess on the international front. Both would be nice but I know which one I would choose.

I think you would be in the vast majority to be honest, It's human nature i suppose and i totally understand, I would love to see England with a top side again myself, and i truly believe they could be as well as club sides winning things. Going back to when we used to beat the Aussies, before we had floods of them playing over here, The trophies were a lot more evenly shared out between our own teams. There were thirty odd teams, no P&R and players were always coming through, and I'm talking quality player as well. There were always one or two teams who were that bit better, but they weren't always the same ones like they tend to be now, Most teams would come and go in much faster cycles than they do now, In all honesty I would go back to them days if i could.
The Aussies used to come over for a test series and they would be over here for a couple of months and play all the clubs, and they didn't win em all either, I know the game has changed so much now especially with TV, I still love the game but it has lost some of the better things, We can't turn the clock back true, but to allow as you say 4 foreign players per team, That's 56 in superleague alone, a lot of them in the key positions, add on to that what are playing in the NLs and it adds up to a lot of players.
Back to top Go down
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 2:47 pm

Have t agree with the comments in favour of bringing home grown talent through....or at the very least going and pinching them from Wigan!! I think the future looks bright and I have been impressed with ow McGilvary has been shaping up at Batley, he looks the complete athlete and I would lve to see him given a chance with the Giants next year.

My dream oversees signing would actually be Hazem El Masri of Canterbury Bulldogs, the all time top Australian Points Scorer and a handy all round player to boot but as he is 32 it probably wouldn't be worth our while. Fulton impressed me the other night, and apart from one sloppy pass I felt he id really well given it was his first competitive game o the season.....he might turn out to be worth hanging on to. Would rather we kept Scott Moore though, but Lunt looks just as good so whatever happens I think we are in for a very exciting next few years!
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 3:27 pm

anwar1983huddersfieldwhuf wrote:
Have t agree with the comments in favour of bringing home grown talent through....or at the very least going and pinching them from Wigan!! I think the future looks bright and I have been impressed with ow McGilvary has been shaping up at Batley, he looks the complete athlete and I would lve to see him given a chance with the Giants next year.

My dream oversees signing would actually be Hazem El Masri of Canterbury Bulldogs, the all time top Australian Points Scorer and a handy all round player to boot but as he is 32 it probably wouldn't be worth our while. Fulton impressed me the other night, and apart from one sloppy pass I felt he id really well given it was his first competitive game o the season.....he might turn out to be worth hanging on to. Would rather we kept Scott Moore though, but Lunt looks just as good so whatever happens I think we are in for a very exciting next few years!

Here Here Smile Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? 21033 Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? 21033
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 6:27 am

Well it's not gonna be Finch!!!

Link
Back to top Go down
Old School
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 3:24 pm

None of them we are looking at 2 different players .
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptyTue Apr 21, 2009 3:56 pm

Old School wrote:
and who are they?
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 11:13 pm

Not gonna be Fien either!!

Nathan Fien's long-term future at the Warriors might be clouded but his short-term status appears to be improving.

The Warriors' attempts to bed-in young Queenslander Joel Moon at five-eighth haven't been without problems, the latest being a mixed effort against the Roosters last weekend.

Moon was pulled in the last quarter of the match and replaced by Fien as the Warriors looked for some experienced heads to get them home in their comeback.

They managed to do that with Fien combining with Stacey Jones to help engineer a thrilling 17-16 win in extra time.

Moon's biggest asset at the moment appears to be his booming left boot. He still appears to be struggling with the vision needed to make the adjustment from being a Broncos centre to a Warriors playmaker.

Ivan Cleary admitted Fien made an impact as he explained his tactical switch had helped save the match.

"I just wanted to get more organisation. I felt if we could get a bit more organised things might come good," said Cleary.

"It seemed to work alright at the back end of the game. Both those boys (Fien and Jones) organise well."

The experienced Fien is operating under a cloud that has him yet to convince Cleary and the Warriors management that he has a future at the club beyond this year when his contract runs out.

The Warriors say they won't be rushed into any decision.

Fien has decided against taking up an offer with English club Huddersfield and is pursuing other options.
Right now Fien's experience looks to have plenty of value for a side that can't afford to be too reliant on the blossoming skills of veteran Jones.

Fien has had to be content with an interchange role for the last four weeks and has even come on as a replacement for hooker Ian Henderson to operate out of dummy half, giving the Warriors three playmakers on the ground.

Whether Cleary's late call on Fien proves decisive remains to be seen. Moon is obviously a work in progress but at the moment the choice between he and Fien appears to be one of potential against proven talent.

The Warriors were desperate for some structure against the Roosters as they started to click in the second half when their big men got them some go-forward.

Skipper Steve Price was thrilled to see his side pick up their game in the second half after a sloppy first spell. He was also happy with the composure the Warriors showed as they fought to find their game against a backdrop of having to overcome a 0-16 halftime deficit.

"We played the second half in the direction that we have been trying to play the last three weeks and closer to what we were doing the first two weeks," said price.

"We were actually doing things that are our strengths - hanging on to the footy, not giving too many penalties away and putting pressure on the opposition both in the middle and on the edges.

"We were giving our ball players decisions to make rather than having them sit out there like a lovin on a rock.

"It's just every individual playing their part in a team performance. I think every individual stood up in the second half.

"We were all disappointed at half time but it just goes to show you the mental state of the squad to be able to turn that around and be able to come back and win a game against a quality team."

Cleary is hoping his side can catapult off the win over the Roosters as the Warriors face the difficult task of trying to beat the Storm in Melbourne on Saturday night.

After three losses before last Sunday and then such a shocking first half against the Roosters, Cleary admitted it was a testing time for his side.

"It's hard when you are losing, you lose a couple of games and everyone has little question marks here and there. That was pretty evident against the Roosters," he said.

"When we got our first try all of a sudden we started to get some organisation and we looked good again."
Back to top Go down
joek
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Saw Warriors v Storm today. Fien was excellent. He would be an excellent addition for us.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Old School wrote:

We are still holding ourselves in readyness
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 6:53 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
Old School wrote:

It's Andrew Johns of 5 years ago and Todd Carney has had his visa accepted.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 6:54 pm

matt01 wrote:
BO JANGLES wrote:
Old School wrote:

It's Andrew Johns of 5 years ago and Todd Carney has had his visa accepted.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Personally I would not bring another half-back in from Aus.
We have McNally scoring for fun in NL1. I know it is a big step up, but at his age now he should be brought in next season and bulked up during the close season.
We tend to swap too many players each season which is bad for continuity, the likes of Leeds and Saints rarely bring more than 2 in.
Back to top Go down
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2009-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 9:33 pm

We could do with a bulldozing prop.

pray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?   Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F? Empty

Back to top Go down

Lockyer, Finch, Fien, Fulton or other F?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next