Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Todd Carney a Giant

Go down 
+9
Shogun
matt01
BO JANGLES
Mandy Giants Fan
ponner
Ivor C&G Scarf
reidy
penninegiant
CA
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CA
Ballboy
Ballboy

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Todd Carney a Giant Empty
PostSubject: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 11:58 am

Examiner Link
Quote :
Giants to secure top Aussie signing
Aug 30 2008 by Chris Roberts, Huddersfield Daily Examiner

HUDDERSFIELD Giants are set to sign controversial top Australian half-back Todd Carney.

The 22-year-old is widely regarded as one of the world’s best players and his capture is expected to be confirmed early next week.

Carney became hot property as soon as he was sacked by Canberra Raiders midway through this season due to alcohol-related incidents.

Until his controversial departure, the Junior Kangaroos star was rated as the best player in the Australian NRL through an online poll run by the Daily Telegraph.

As a result, he was immediately courted by Wigan as a replacement for Australian Test superstar Trent Barrett, who is returning home at the end of the season.

And several other Super League clubs were known to be desperate to secure his signature for 2009.

But it is thought the fact that fellow Australian and current St George coach Nathan Brown is taking over as head coach of the Giants next season was a big factor in Carney opting for a move to the Galpharm.

And Brown is convinced he will prove a massive asset to his new club.

“Todd Carney is a quality player in a key position and is an incredibly exciting signing for Huddersfield,” said Brown.

“There’s no question he is one of the most talented players in the Australian NRL and, because of his age, he’s a player on the way up rather than on the way down.

“He’s still got a long way to go to reach his full potential, and I’m really looking forward to helping bring that out of him.

“But as well as being a massive positive for Huddersfield, I also believe bringing him here is a massive positive for Super League as a whole.

“He’s an outstanding talent who will undoubtedly enhance the quality of the competition

“Having spoken to Todd at length during some very tough contract negotiations, I know how much he’s looking forward to coming over to play for the Giants.

“Because of the way things have turned out for him in the NRL I know he sees this move as something of a lifeline.

“He knows it’s going to be tough, but he also knows this is the chance for him to get his career well and truly back on track.

“I’m obviously well aware of his past, but there’s no way I would have taken him on board if I wasn’t 100% convinced. I’m sure he’ll be fine.

“At the end of the day, he’s still a young kid who has done some things that he has since deeply regretted.

“And I’m sure there are some players in Super League who have done far worse things in the past than Todd.

“Having known him for a number of years now I know he is a very nice young kid.

“I also know that he can do a magnificent job for Huddersfield Giants.

“A lot of Super League clubs were very keen to sign him.

“So for him to come here is a massive coup. I couldn’t be happier.”

Last edited by CA on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 12:29 pm

NO PROBS CA - if I see him round town -I`ll tie his arms together -gag him- and take him home so he doesnt have a hangover Sunday!! Wink
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 1:33 pm

Don't say that! Shocked
Lisa'll have you doing that if you see me around town!
Back to top Go down
CA
Ballboy
Ballboy

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 1:39 pm

Nathan Brown is convinced he will prove a massive asset to our club , so as soon as he puts on the Giants shirt I will be cheering for him.
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Same here, but as you say, lets hope that the local ale houses don't prove too much of a temptation CA.
Back to top Go down
Ivor C&G Scarf
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Ivor C&G Scarf

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 4:48 pm

iIt all boils down to whether or not he realises it's probably his only chance to plqy in the NRL again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PhotoLens.co.uk
CA
Ballboy
Ballboy

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 4:51 pm

Ivor C&G Scarf wrote:
iIt all boils down to whether or not he realises it's probably his only chance to plqy in the NRL again.
I'm sure he will after all he's only young.
A top player .....lets get behind his signing a feather in our cap.
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 4:53 pm

I'm well chuffed with this signing. Ok he's been a bad boy but he won't be so daft to realize that if he buggers up this chance at Huddersfield then it's likely he won't play in Oz for ages if ever again. He'll be out to impress too to catch the eyes of the Oz team coaches, and who knows, he might just enjoy his time over here and stay with us for longer than a year.
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
CA
Ballboy
Ballboy

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Do we know how long he has signed for ....... if not perhaps a text to RT eh!
Back to top Go down
Mandy Giants Fan
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Mandy Giants Fan

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2008-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm

says in Examiner we will announce him this week, so who knows lol
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 5:41 pm

CA wrote:
Do we know how long he has signed for ....... if not perhaps a text to RT eh!
Im sure it will be posted on here shortly by our very own fountain of inside info Wink
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 5:51 pm

ponner wrote:
I'm well chuffed with this signing. Ok he's been a bad boy but he won't be so daft to realize that if he buggers up this chance at Huddersfield then it's likely he won't play in Oz for ages if ever again. He'll be out to impress too to catch the eyes of the Oz team coaches, and who knows, he might just enjoy his time over here and stay with us for longer than a year.

Was talking to PG a few days ago about a stand off who used to play for us,( Gwyn Davies ) for those who remember him, he was a bit of a bad lad as well, always in some minor trouble or other but what a player, he was probably the best stand off to play for Huddersfield for the last fifty years, Till he got himself a life ban that is.
The thing is i pay my money to see players perform on the field, and which of us hasn't been a bit naughty from time to time.
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 6:17 pm

hey --you speak for yerself !!!

Signed:- St Penninegiant!! Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 6:32 pm

He better turn out to be the next Jamie Lyon. Obviously he has talent and if he grafts and stays away from temptation then just maybe he will be an asset for the club and not a PR disaster. Still if he has only signed for a year, then what does that tell you about him? And where will that leave us when he returns to the NRL, will Robinson or Thorman be happen on the sidelines for a season?
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 7:56 pm

Compare one of the present day coaches, also played for Bradford and Wigan and Gt. Britain. Allegedly a very naughty boy in his youth.
If Carney can be kept under control and team up with a responsible player for a mate things could work out ok.
But we have plenty of dickheads over here already, no names mentioned but plenty of court appearances, one more should make no difference. affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
bostock
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
bostock

Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 9:40 pm

lets just be happy the giants can get this kid,he was voted the best player in the NRL this year until he was sacked by canberra.
ponner is right the kid may enjoy him self over here and stay longer,after all the press over here won't be chasing him all over the place like in oz Very Happy
IMO the best signing by far Cool
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 10:16 am

Well he is signed up according to Sky ,so It's up to N Brown to keep him in check and get the best out of him on the field, Hope he's as good as his reputation, on the field at least.
Back to top Go down
Mandy Giants Fan
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Mandy Giants Fan

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 4:31 pm

signed up for the 2009 season

linky
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 10:12 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
Well he is signed up according to Sky ,so It's up to N Brown to keep him in check and get the best out of him on the field, Hope he's as good as his reputation, on the field at least.

or off !!

Heard he downed 10 pints o lager in 10 mins !!!
Wow - ceeeeeermoornnn!!!! Wink

not serious!! Neutral
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 10:15 pm

Well I ain't inviting him out for a beer, thats for frickin sure. I'd be skint in an hour!
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 10:21 pm

................says he`d love a tour round North Yorks Moors ???? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 10:36 pm

You have time on ur hands now, crack on! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mandy Giants Fan
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Mandy Giants Fan

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 5:55 pm

I am a little confused according to Boots 'N' All Carney only signed this dinnertime Shocked
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 7:21 pm

Mandy Giants Fan wrote:
I am a little confused according to Boots 'N' All Carney only signed this dinnertime Shocked
[u]

We've been telling you that for years luv! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 11:42 pm

DEPARTING Dragons coach Nathan Brown has secured axed Raiders playmaker Todd Carney at English Super League club Huddersfield.

It was confirmed yesterday that Carney had signed a one-year deal with the English Super League club where Brown will move at the end of the NRL season.

Carney was dumped from the Canberra team in July after the latest of a string of off-field misdemeanours.

The star halfback was also banned from playing in the NRL until 2010.

Brown and his new club Huddersfield fought off a sizeable offer from Super League powerhouse Wigan to sign the 22-year-old halfback.

"It's a done deal," Carney's manager David Riolo said yesterday.

"It's up to the club when they will announce it, but he's definitely going," Riolo said.

It is believed Carney signed a one-year deal with Huddersfield, leaving open the possibility of returning to the NRL in 2010.

However, there is also an option for him to stay on contract with the Giants for a second season.

Carney's signing is a big boost for Brown, who is contracted to coach Huddersfield for the next three years.

The Giants are at present languishing in 10th place in the 12-team Super League competition, which will be expanded to 14 next year with the introduction of the Celtic Crusaders and Salford.

Brown - whose six-year tenure with St George Illawarra will come to an end after the finals series - has led a Dragons resurgence this year, with the club in the hunt for a top-four place and home semi-final.
LINK
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Todd Carney a Giant   Todd Carney a Giant Empty

Back to top Go down

Todd Carney a Giant
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next