Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is our squad good enough?

Go down 
+8
boomer
ponner
skelmanthorpe giant
adelaide-giant.no9
Meltham Giant
reidy
matt01
anwar1983huddersfieldwhuf
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Is our squad good enough? Empty
PostSubject: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 7:54 pm

My head is telling me that as far as new recruits are concerned we have decided best to stick with what we have (financial restraints I pressume) and only make a signing should a key player get crocked in pre season.

Is our squad strong enough? Are we better than last year? I'm really not sure, but am prepared to wait and see. The start to the season will be crucial to keep the fans happy but I do think 2 or 3 dodgy results early on and the Galpharm may get anxious. We could really have done with signing a top dollar centre, someone with a bit of a name and the quality to back it up. I personally would love to see Senior finish his career with his hometown club but that ain't gonna happen failing that Goulding from Wigan would be an outstanding signing. I think it's the injuries that bother me the most, we do seem a bit short on adequate quality should the worst become a reality.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 9:57 pm

We only have 19/20 experienced players which is simply a massive gamble. It means if the young inexperienced players don't pull it out of the bag for us then we will be in trouble. Not only is the squad thin, but it means that competition for places won't be what it should be.

We could do with two experienced signings to bolster the squad and add that much needed pressure on players to perform or have someone else take their spot.
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 10:35 pm

It sounds chronic mate. Call me a pescimist, but I hope we are proved wrong and not left embarrassed.
Back to top Go down
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 10:38 pm

Yea, worse case scenario we do a Bulls and miss out on the playoffs! To be fair the Bulls will be a much better side this year and will think they can challenge us for second best team in Yorkshire, when we really should have been thinking about overtaking Leeds Sad
Back to top Go down
Meltham Giant
Meltham Giant

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 1:38 am

I have faith in this team if no one else does! Sure we may not have the biggest squad and most experienced but given the chance i'm sure these youngsters will come up with the goods and play there hearts out! It doesn't matter what numbers are on the backs of the shirts, if players aren't performing then Brown made it clear at launch night that he will drop players and give those who are working hard the chance to prove what they can do. Larne Patrick from last year is a fab example of a player given the chance to play and he did, made some of the more experienced players look like amatuers.

KEEP THE FAITH! IN NATHAN WE TRUST!
Back to top Go down
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player
adelaide-giant.no9

Number of posts : 1835
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 7:31 am

Meltham Giant wrote:
I have faith in this team if no one else does! Sure we may not have the biggest squad and most experienced but given the chance i'm sure these youngsters will come up with the goods and play there hearts out! It doesn't matter what numbers are on the backs of the shirts, if players aren't performing then Brown made it clear at launch night that he will drop players and give those who are working hard the chance to prove what they can do. Larne Patrick from last year is a fab example of a player given the chance to play and he did, made some of the more experienced players look like amatuers.

##

is this the nathan that walked out on us last year?
Back to top Go down
skelmanthorpe giant

Number of posts : 3
Location : Huddersfield the birthplace of the greatest game of all
Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 10:01 am

adelaide-giant.no9 (Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:31 am) wrote:
Meltham Giant wrote:

##

is this the nathan that walked out on us last year?
yes he is but he RAN back
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 10:08 am

I think we've got a decent starting 17 but any injuries will hit us hard. Unless we sign a few more quality players before the start of the season then I think we'll struggle to make the top 6. All depends on how far the young lads have come on during the off season.
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 1:33 pm

ponner (Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:08 am) wrote:
I think we've got a decent starting 17 but any injuries will hit us hard. Unless we sign a few more quality players before the start of the season then I think we'll struggle to make the top 6. All depends on how far the young lads have come on during the off season.

What do you think our chances of adding one or two more experienced performers to the current side are?
Back to top Go down
boomer
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 3:20 pm

The least experianced player in the first 19 is Patrick, and he is very good, we do lack experiance, but we have Quality,
The squad is qiute large with 33, l imagine it is bigger than most clubs. l am not concerned about bringing in more experianced players, we have enough, we have to start blooding our youth, or whats the point in Acadamys, From 20 to 33 most of the players are 19, 20 , years old, McGillvery, Walker,and Hodgson have all had a game with the Giants, Wood had a few for Cas, Wardle, and Carlile made first team appearances for the Bulls, no bad reports, OK they are not experianced, but this time last year everyone was saying the same thing about Patrick, for me the most improved player last season, When injuries arise, opportunity occurs, personnely l would like to see these lads thrown in, rather than risk a player who is not 100%fit.
Example Tomkins was playing for Wigan Acadamy when McNally was playing First team at Whitehaven, Wigan threw Sam in, He is now a shoe in for England, McNally was at that time the brightest peeble on the beach, seems like going nowhere at the Giants, OK we are blessed with halves, and they are trying him at FB, but this lad has to get some game time before he,s too old.
l feel the Giants always nurse their youth too much, if their good enough there old enough, lf there not good enough why are they here, just to comply with the structure regarding the rules.
So lm happy with what we have got, and expecting at least 2 maybe 3 young uns to become top grade players,
Tipping, Wardle, McGillvery, and Walker
Smile bounce Is our squad good enough? 21033
Back to top Go down
Clock-Face-Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
Clock-Face-Giant

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-09-16

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 11:17 am

Definatly think we will finish top 4 and imo one or two quality signings would see us finish top 2

Remember we currently boast 6 england internationals and the lunatic from this years SOO (still can't believe the guy who wanted to brawl on his own with the entire Q/land squad is now wearing the C+G).
Also despite my original misgivings we have D Brough who on his day can be the differance between winning and loosing.

Throw into the mix future internationals (imo) Bruno,Patrick and Wardle and the experiance of Fooey,Mason and Gilly amongst others plus the raw youthful hunger of players like Walker i for one am (yet again) exited about the coming season.

Back to top Go down
defleppard
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
defleppard

Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 5:40 pm

We need another experienced forward,if we pick up injuries there is not the cover from the youth part of the squad,that there looks like there is in the backs.

If Horne,who is considered to be an experienced player,becomes our starting prop because of injuries,then we are not going to be able to match the top sides up front.

Gilmour in the centres doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm,and him being pulled from the pack leaves a gap there.On the other side of the field I think Leroy and Bruno will be effective,swapping roles as they did last time

Nathan Brown knows what's needed,a strong running second rower and a quick centre.

Back to top Go down
boomer
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 7:33 pm

l think our forwards are great, Eorl, Griff, Mason, Patrick, Horne, Raleigh, ODonnell, Fa alogo
Kirkmond, no problem with that lot. plus Walker, Molloy, and Peltier
The 3/4s worry me, 2 very experienced, 2 not so experienced, personnely l would split them up
Gilly with Bruno, and Leroy with Hodgy. No experienced back up.
Grix is on his own, and will sink or swim,l think he will deliver
Neutral Is our squad good enough? 21033
Back to top Go down
Giantdee
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 8:56 pm

I don't think we do have much room under the cap, which could be unfair. Off shore earnings to overseas players has now been established as taxable, which means that those players contracts need to be worth up to 40% more, depending on how worded, so all of a sudden O'Donnell, Fa'alogo and Faiumu are more expensive which takes further cap space.

Other clubs could be in some trouble. The RFL may relax the rules, that would be unfair, if anyone goes over cap they should imo get the same sanction as Crusaders for financial irregularities, but I suspect the RFL will give all a years grace.

Not the sort of thing the club can go public about to explain lack of expected signings, but if correct we will be well placed next year to pick up good players as others have to drastically cut their clothdemonstrates yet again that Ken knows what he is doing and will deliver the best for the Giants
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 5:11 pm

We must have money avaialble if we are talking to the likes of Champion and Simpson of Souths.
Think Champion has gone to Melbourne but to be honest we have signed some great young talent such as Wardle, Molley ect.
We have McGilvery and Hodgson coming thru so I would be happy to see our young guns getting a go, Larne Patrick and Jermaine McGilvery have never let us down when they have played.
Rather the Brits get a chance than some over the hill Aussie.
We currently have a great mix and unless someone world class becomes available lets go with what we have got.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is our squad good enough?   Is our squad good enough? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is our squad good enough?
Page 1 of 1