Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

well theres always next season..........

Go down 
+2
Gem Bob
penninegiant
6 posters
AuthorMessage
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

well theres always next season.......... Empty
PostSubject: well theres always next season..........   well theres always next season.......... EmptyMon Sep 27, 2010 11:06 pm

Once again I`m going to play devils advocate

Yes we were proud of our lads on Friday
They put up a great fight and gave it their best shot --but I dont think they were as "together" as the previous week
Home advantage , and the Saints ability to make the most of their chances (particularly on the last tackle) plus I think a stronger mental approach to the big game made the difference in the last quarter

But now lets look at another aspect that Ive raised before

The Huddersfield(and district) sports fans

Ken has "held" the ticket prices and the bring a friend incentives
Its the last bit that Im interested in

Had we won at Twickenham after the Odsal brilliance
Had we won at Wembley after the Warrington brilliance

Had we won Friday and gone on to beat Wigan again at Old Trafford in the play off

Then how much easier would it have been to introduce a friend/ family relation to the game via this great club of ours

I would claim --considerable!!
I would like to see the facts and figures of the percentage increase in season ticket sales at Vorrington after Wembley last year --and after their repeat victory this season

I`ll bet its a fair rise !!!

And thats where Im afraid I see us only making marginal gains after the three close calls

We`re the converted on here - its the outsiders we need to convert that would make all the difference to Kens smile!

Regretfully ---its the biggun that will clinch it I feel --and sadly its still round the corner

(...............but Ive got the Duraglit handy !!!) Wink pray
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: well theres always next season..........   well theres always next season.......... EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 8:23 am

I don't think it would make much difference for long tbh.

The University is probably one of the biggest increases in our fan base over the years. Huddersfield people are fickle Rod you know that. A win at OT/Wembley would be amazing but for the extra it would bring they would soon drop off.
The only teams that seem to get great crouds consistently are the top consistent performers, look at Bradford for example, they built up a huge fan base in the 90's and now its nothing like it used to be.
Fans are fickle, and most are too fickle to take the rough with the smooth.

The only problem that i see is that i am not sure what else KD can do in terms of prices to convince people to put up their money and watch RL. Perhaps the problem is out of Huddersfields hands and more in the hands of the RFL. Maybe it is the sport that needs promoting before the teams start putting themselves out at all costs.

Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

PostSubject: Re: well theres always next season..........   well theres always next season.......... EmptyTue Sep 28, 2010 10:22 am

Gem Bob wrote:
I don't think it would make much difference for long tbh.
I`m not so sure GB --I think there WOULD be an increase if the ones that went for a day out to Twickers and Wembley had enjoyed Hodgson lifting the trophy --and then the club had hit them with a season ticket offer such as we have, then I think THAT would have got them "in" I think

THEN...then comes the challenge of "Keeping" them
But more season tickets ---more revenue ... and its rolling along quite nicely thank you!

Fans are fickle, and most are too fickle to take the rough with the smooth.
They are --but lets get the roll roling
After no cup win in 57 years --me (and prob Bo and co) have taken the rough wi the smooth --but its now long overdue and a lot of people I know who were as keen have "better things to do" at weekends
Once they have wandered off --its bloody hard to get em back
So --hence this silverware --get em and keep em

Its about time we had a run of SUSTAINED SUCCESS a la SQUINTS/ LEEDS

That needs silverware --and consistency --something we seem to just fall short of
The lads have done well to you , me, Bo Ponner and co --but in the eyes of outsiders they`re sadly a nearly but not quite team (as has been said to me in the club I visit)
The ticket offer is a great idea ---but what would make a non believer buy them
There has to be something tangible other than the week to week win or lose situation in my opinion
I may be wrong --but Ive tried to bring a friend etc --some have shown little interest other than the social side of a trip to Twickers , Wembley , semis , Cardiff , etc
Others have come down --to some "BIG" games that the club have hyped up ---and what have we done --- yes - on many occasions given a dismal performance and lost!!

And thats sadly the end of them for a while

This isnt knocking the club -- moaning, or being negative
Im asking others what they think about solid facts!!
I`m just looking at where we go from here after one more trophy less season
Its still a long way to go to sway the Kirklees public Im afraid and without that "CUP" of some sort I think we are gonna have to work real hard to achieve a massive boost in attendance figures

Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: well theres always next season..........   well theres always next season.......... EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 1:04 pm

I find all that's been said here to be fair comment, It's a forum, you are supposed to give your views, there wont be many that are alike but that doesn't matter, It's your view. My own view is very similar to PG's, not surprising i suppose as we are similar ages ( although i look much younger Very Happy ) and we have been going down for a similar amount of time.
I dont see how KD can do much more than what he is doing, What i find a bit frustrating is, we are spending the same amount of money as the so called big boys but we are not getting the same amount of success, Yes i have heard the arguments about where we were 10 years ago , and they are true, but whoever our signings are for next year and whatever our final squad is , it has nothing to do with what our squad or team was 10 years ago.
Some one has mentioned Bradford, and it's a good point, their squad is nowhere near as good as it was, and neither is their game or league position, Saints on the other hand, in my opinion also have a poorer squad than they had a few seasons ago and yet still they get to and win big games, Wigan 3 or 4 seasons ago were on the verge of relegation with a very poor side, this season they have every chance to win both trophies.

I don't know the answers to these things, We have a good coach, we have some good players, we have some very good players, but we dont have whatever it is to get us over the winning line, we have showed that we can compete with the top sides, and we can beat them on occasions, But more often than not they beat us, and we say things like " we gave em a good game " or "10 years ago we wouldn't have been in the game" It's all true, but i dont want to give em a good game i want to beat em, I want to know why Saint could step their game up for the last 20 minutes, while ours was notable for giving away penalties. I know our lads gave their all, but Saints gave more, and that's what i want to know "why" If It's purely because their players are better, I'd like to know why, We spend the same money, we are in the same market, why do the Wigan's and the Saints get the better ones, Maybe It's because they are so much better at producing and blooding young players than we are.
There has to be reasons for these things and whatever they are they need to be sorted, This is the Giants chance to step up alongside Leeds, and if they dont make it count they will regret it sadly.

As far as support goes, Huddersfield has always been a football town , and i think it's likely to remain so, that doesn't mean we can't increase our fan base, there will always be people who will follow a winning team, true they will be the first to disappear when things go a bit wobbly, but that's life, Bradford are a perfect example , the second most successful club in the Super league era, and look at them now
Back to top Go down
Pharmergibbs
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: well theres always next season..........   well theres always next season.......... EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 2:26 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
I find all that's been said here to be fair comment, It's a forum, you are supposed to give your views, there wont be many that are alike but that doesn't matter, It's your view. My own view is very similar to PG's, not surprising i suppose as we are similar ages ( although i look much younger Very Happy ) and we have been going down for a similar amount of time.
I dont see how KD can do much more than what he is doing, What i find a bit frustrating is, we are spending the same amount of money as the so called big boys but we are not getting the same amount of success, Yes i have heard the arguments about where we were 10 years ago , and they are true, but whoever our signings are for next year and whatever our final squad is , it has nothing to do with what our squad or team was 10 years ago.
Some one has mentioned Bradford, and it's a good point, their squad is nowhere near as good as it was, and neither is their game or league position, Saints on the other hand, in my opinion also have a poorer squad than they had a few seasons ago and yet still they get to and win big games, Wigan 3 or 4 seasons ago were on the verge of relegation with a very poor side, this season they have every chance to win both trophies.

I don't know the answers to these things, We have a good coach, we have some good players, we have some very good players, but we dont have whatever it is to get us over the winning line, we have showed that we can compete with the top sides, and we can beat them on occasions, But more often than not they beat us, and we say things like " we gave em a good game " or "10 years ago we wouldn't have been in the game" It's all true, but i dont want to give em a good game i want to beat em, I want to know why Saint could step their game up for the last 20 minutes, while ours was notable for giving away penalties. I know our lads gave their all, but Saints gave more, and that's what i want to know "why" If It's purely because their players are better, I'd like to know why, We spend the same money, we are in the same market, why do the Wigan's and the Saints get the better ones, Maybe It's because they are so much better at producing and blooding young players than we are.
There has to be reasons for these things and whatever they are they need to be sorted, This is the Giants chance to step up alongside Leeds, and if they dont make it count they will regret it sadly.

As far as support goes, Huddersfield has always been a football town , and i think it's likely to remain so, that doesn't mean we can't increase our fan base, there will always be people who will follow a winning team, true they will be the first to disappear when things go a bit wobbly, but that's life, Bradford are a perfect example , the second most successful club in the Super league era, and look at them now

Spot on, agree with absolutely everything you say there.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: well theres always next season..........   well theres always next season.......... EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 5:22 pm

I think the point about producing and blooding youngsters is an important one.
Back to top Go down
boomer
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: well theres always next season..........   well theres always next season.......... EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 6:17 pm

Ditto, so what are the chances of McNally, Wood, Carlyle, Wardle, Hodgson,Walker,
the last 5 have all played SL, but will they get a chance with the Giants next year,
we seem to be reluctant to blood youngsters, unlike Wigan, Saints. eg Tomkins came from nowhere.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: well theres always next season..........   well theres always next season.......... EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 8:10 pm

boomer wrote:
Ditto, so what are the chances of McNally, Wood, Carlyle, Wardle, Hodgson,Walker,
the last 5 have all played SL, but will they get a chance with the Giants next year,
we seem to be reluctant to blood youngsters, unlike Wigan, Saints. eg Tomkins came from nowhere.

Sometimes when they do get a chance, they play very well, do nothing wrong and still get dropped, It frustrates me so i don't know how it makes them feel.
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

PostSubject: Re: well theres always next season..........   well theres always next season.......... EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 11:10 pm

boomer wrote:
Ditto, so what are the chances of McNally, Wood, Carlyle, Wardle, Hodgson,Walker,and McGillvary
the last 6 have all played SL, but will they get a chance with the Giants next year,

just thought the lad had drifted into obscurity of late without as much as a mention!!

and remember some of his earlier efforts !

Thought he "did alright" ........but maybe he .....................?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: well theres always next season..........   well theres always next season.......... Empty

Back to top Go down

well theres always next season..........
Page 1 of 1