Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Length of season

Go down 
+3
BO JANGLES
Mandy Giants Fan
Shogun
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Length of season   Length of season EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 9:52 pm

It’s quiet on the message boards because the silly season is with us. There are only finals being played and practically all clubs are finished for the season.
We still have the transfer rumours doing the rounds, but the RL close season is too long. The round ball game has a very short close season, about 8 - 10 weeks before they are in action again, but us we are (club wise) shut down for 5 months plus. It is too long.
Irrespective of what Stevo and Clarke says, the clubs do not play too much Rugby, especially the clubs that do not make Challenge cup or Grand finals.
Most clubs have a few injuries during a season, and those that have been out injured are chomping at the bit to get playing again. Hodgson and Aspy must be fresh as daisies plus half a dozen from Hull, a good few from Bradford, Warrington,Wakefield,Quins.

Most clubs have a first team squad of 25 / 28 players, these can be used on a rotational basis by putting one of the younger lads on the bench each week, plus the fresh ones coming back from injury should be able to rest most players for a couple of weeks a season.
We should increase the league to 16 teams giving us 30 games plus 1 for the Magic weekend, and possibly spread 4 weeks evenly through the season (with no league games) for playing France, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. This format plus the play offs and Challenge cup could prolong the season and the supporters will not suffer from withdrawal symptoms.
Back to top Go down
Mandy Giants Fan
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Mandy Giants Fan

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 5:26 am

I agree with what you're saying, but the Lads do need time to re cooperate and charge their batteries.
I am the worlds worst person in the off seaso(ask mick), I can't wait for the new season, but I have been seeing reason that they need a break too.
This year I am busy at this monet, so not really missing watching the Lads but I will be when nothing to do What a Face
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Well the lads playing Super League now have a full time job in the sport. I would say it is a lot easier than most of the rest of the working population as regards time off, and certainly leisure time when not training.
Having played the game (for love of it) not for the money, I can honestly say that after a game, a couple of days after the aches and bruises have eased I could not wait for the next game. Granted it was not SL standard, but I didn`t have the rest of the week to get over it. I had to go to work, like the rest of the lads in the lower divisions.
The SL players should have enough petrol in the tank to play a 9 month season, 6 weeks holiday and 6 weeks pre-season.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 7:21 pm

[quote="Shogun"]Well the lads playing Super League now have a full time job in the sport. I would say it is a lot easier than most of the rest of the working population as regards time off, and certainly leisure time when not training.
Having played the game (for love of it) not for the money, I can honestly say that after a game, a couple of days after the aches and bruises have eased I could not wait for the next game. Granted it was not SL standard, but I didn`t have the rest of the week to get over it. I had to go to work, like the rest of the lads in the lower divisions.
The SL players should have enough petrol in the tank to play a 9 month season, 6 weeks holiday and 6 weeks pre-season.[/quote

Totally agree mate, If you can't play 1 or occasionally 2 games a week as a full time pro with all the facilities at your disposal they have now, then you have to wonder just how good were the players in the past who had to do a week down the pit or whatever as well . There is a difference in the style of the game of course but even allowing for the difference in the speed of the game in general they should be able to handle it comfortably.
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 7:33 pm

Thanks for your back up BO.
What I would have given for the chance to be full-time when I was playing. Most of the players are out playing golf after they have done a bit of training, unless they are too tired. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 8:03 pm

Shogun wrote:
Thanks for your back up BO.
What I would have given for the chance to be full-time when I was playing. Most of the players are out playing golf after they have done a bit of training, unless they are too tired. Laughing Laughing

I have never played the game myself, i am judging things on what i have seen past players do, but if i come across any of em on the golf course ,there in for a kicking Shocked
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 8:44 pm

I'd like to see the season made longer, but not by having more league games. We should have more representative games, like internationals, war of the roses etc... during the season, then the clubs will get odd weeks off and this would give those with injuries more time to recover and those who are not selected for representative games more time for training to improve. I don't like seeing players play more than one game a week. The impact that the players go through does take time to recover from. It is always noticeable how much slower the second game in the Easter period is.
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 9:04 pm

I said not so long ago that a longer season is not out of the question as younger players would be given a chance to shine. I also think that just 2 teams being brought into the franchise was a total waste of time and effort.
Back to top Go down
Meltham Giant
Meltham Giant

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 9:20 pm

matt01 wrote:
I'd like to see the season made longer, but not by having more league games. We should have more representative games, like internationals, war of the roses etc... during the season, then the clubs will get odd weeks off and this would give those with injuries more time to recover and those who are not selected for representative games more time for training to improve. I don't like seeing players play more than one game a week. The impact that the players go through does take time to recover from. It is always noticeable how much slower the second game in the Easter period is.

Totally agree with you there!
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 10:02 pm

matt01 wrote:

Can't understand why there is so little support for the Roses matches now, they used to be good games to watch in times past when it was played as a three way thing.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 5:38 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
matt01 wrote:

Can't understand why there is so little support for the Roses matches now, they used to be good games to watch in times past when it was played as a three way thing.
If they are played on a weekend and are actually worth something to the players, be that medals, cash and/or trials for England then there would be support for it.
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 7:12 pm

Bringing back the Roses matches is a good idea, it gives the international players some extra competition and the younger a lads chance to shine. It would be ideal and easy to pick a good quality "other nationalities squad" (the older ones of us will remember them).
Then it would be Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria and Other Nationalities.
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 10:15 pm

Sounds damn good that Shogun!
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyWed Oct 01, 2008 11:03 pm

Shogun wrote:
Bringing back the Roses matches is a good idea, it gives the international players some extra competition and the younger a lads chance to shine. It would be ideal and easy to pick a good quality "other nationalities squad" (the older ones of us will remember them).

...........and maybe a team comprised of London/Welsh / and Hull players Shogun?? Rolling Eyes Wink
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 11:39 am

penninegiant wrote:
Shogun wrote:

...........and maybe a team comprised of London/Welsh / and Hull players Shogun?? Rolling Eyes Wink

Come on PG !!! What sort of geography did you get at school, or was Hull still held by the "VIKINGS" in those days and not classed as Yorkshire. Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 8:16 pm

Lets put it this way Shogun, I've had to have 2 towers installed above my house so he can find his way here. Lokks like bleedin Holme Moss! Wink
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 9:05 pm

reidy@work wrote:
Lets put it this way Shogun, I've had to have 2 towers installed above my house so he can find his way here. Lokks like bleedin Holme Moss! Wink

Is his vision badly impaired as well. Smile

Must stop this taking the mickey out of PG it`s not gentlemanly conduct. Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 11:32 pm

Shogun wrote:
penninegiant wrote:
Shogun wrote:

Come on PG !!! What sort of geography did you get at school, or was Hull still held by the "VIKINGS" in those days and not classed as Yorkshire. Laughing Laughing
Wouldnt class em as Yorkshire really!!

HUMBERSIDERS !!--any further from Holmfirth and theyd be German!!
Hey --now theres an idea!!! Wink Very Happy
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 11:33 pm

Shogun wrote:
reidy@work wrote:

Is his vision badly impaired as well. Smile

Must stop this taking the mickey out of PG it`s not gentlemanly conduct. Wink Wink

I was thinking "Lady- like " miself!! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season EmptyThu Oct 02, 2008 11:36 pm

reidy@work wrote:

what hes not letting on about is the contract he`s landed with air traffic control and Jodrell bank!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

go on -spill the beans!!! Mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Length of season Empty
PostSubject: Re: Length of season   Length of season Empty

Back to top Go down

Length of season
Page 1 of 1