Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reaction to Today's game..

Go down 
+10
penninegiant
dannablue
washy
Durham Giant
bostock
meast
ponner
JudgeB
Giant-Dragon
anwar1983huddersfieldwhuf
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Reaction to Today's game.. Empty
PostSubject: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 5:24 pm

1st half was encouraging, we had control of the game and looked dangerous in possession. I fully expected that to set the pattern for the remainder of the match, but unfortunately we took our foot off the gas and made some silly errors which ultimately gave Wigan a victory that they barely deserved. I was disappointed by some of the Wigan players attitude to the game, I thought it was supposed to be a friendly. Some of the tackling, high shots and behaviour of their players was not in keeping with a pre season game. They game to rough us up a bit and it worked. Thought our catching game was superb, B. Hodgson looks assured every single time the ball is in the air....likewise D.Hodgson and Aspy. Lawrence and Whatuira had excellent first halves, Crabtree and Kirmond looked solid when they came on. Brett probably played a bit within himself today, although as I said his catching was faultless and he did grow in the second half. Kevin Brown looked decent in the first half, but fell away badly in the second stanza.

We do look quite predictable though and think we may struggle to upset the better sides this season. Still saw enough to suggest we should make the top eight!
Back to top Go down
Giant-Dragon
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer
Giant-Dragon

Number of posts : 714
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 5:31 pm

I am really concerned about Brett Hodgson's goal kicking abilities, i really am! the rest of him is great, its just his goal kicking! whats the matter with him?
Back to top Go down
http://thoughtsofclaire.wordpress.com
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 5:45 pm

True, good point there. It did look a bit off today didn't it. Was it equally as poor against Cas?
Back to top Go down
JudgeB
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
JudgeB

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 5:47 pm

For the first half our defence was top notch, movement of the ball excellent.
Scott Moore was my MoM, a big effort in both attack & defence.

Bit of a concern about the second half but generally I feel quite positive. With 3 weeks to go there is a good base to work with.

Thought Brett Hodgson had a mixed game but his defensive positioning was superb along with his catching.
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 5:57 pm

JudgeB wrote:
For the first half our defence was top notch, movement of the ball excellent.
Scott Moore was my MoM, a big effort in both attack & defence.

Bit of a concern about the second half but generally I feel quite positive. With 3 weeks to go there is a good base to work with.

Thought Brett Hodgson had a mixed game but his defensive positioning was superb along with his catching.
Agree with every word of that. Got Danny Kirmonds try on video which i'm trying to upload as I type. It's a beauty!!!! I'll get it on here shortly.
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 6:00 pm

To be honest in the 1st half it would be difficult to pick a player out from our side who played badly. They all looked up for it and prepared to graft. It just looked like we ran out of steam and desire to see the game out in the second half. Maybe the lads felt the game was already won and that allowed Wigan to bounce back and steal the win.
Back to top Go down
JudgeB
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
JudgeB

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 6:08 pm

Hope that for the new season the refs start to take more notice of trainers on the field. Forshaw spent more time on the pitch than some players.
Back to top Go down
meast
meast

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 6:22 pm

first half was excelloent, defensively and attack, 2nd we looked like our old selves making errors and not defending close to the line, im sure NB will work on tha though, up the giants
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Last edited by ponner on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 6:34 pm

Another disappointing aspect of today's game was the crowd, just over 3,000. In the Antich the most vocal support was coming from the Wigan speccies, didn't we sell nay on 6,000 season tickets?
Back to top Go down
meast
meast

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 7:09 pm

and most of them were wigan fans, mind you i only saw most of them at the end when they scored
Back to top Go down
bostock
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
bostock

Number of posts : 617

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 7:14 pm

the last two wigan trys were scored when we started changing the team around,we brought lunt,cudjoeand walsh on just before the last two trys.
over all we where unlucky not to win Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2009-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 8:07 pm

Do not worry about Hodgsons kicking. He is a class kicker with an 80% average. He will practice and practice and practice his kicking and will be fine.

he is the consumate professional and will do everything he has to do to improve. that is why nathan Brown has made him captain.
Back to top Go down
Giant-Dragon
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer
Giant-Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 8:11 pm

Durham Giant wrote:
Do not worry about Hodgsons kicking. He is a class kicker with an 80% average. He will practice and practice and practice his kicking and will be fine.

he is the consumate professional and will do everything he has to do to improve. that is why nathan Brown has made him captain.

Ok i hope so:)

so hes actually captain now? :O
Back to top Go down
washy
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 8:37 pm

Got to admit I was shocked at Hodgsons missing his conversions having seen him in NRL comfortably getting tricky kicks over. In fact he seems to be kicking differently though I wonder if he's changed his style to accomodate our weather or pitches??

Didn't really see much today as it seems some wigan kiddies had had too much pop, I spent the match hoping for the skins to break on their drums! Is it no wonder both Giants and Town fans complain so much about drums they don't help the atmosphere one bit!
Back to top Go down
JudgeB
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
JudgeB

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 8:43 pm

washy wrote:

Didn't really see much today as it seems some wigan kiddies had had too much pop, I spent the match hoping for the skins to break on their drums! Is it no wonder both Giants and Town fans complain so much about drums they don't help the atmosphere one bit!

Giants have just got to ban drums (plus any other instruments) from the ground.
The atmosphere is good enough without the constant thump from some imbecile who finds it fun to irritate the hell out of me & probably many others.
Back to top Go down
dannablue
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 568

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 9:51 pm

I think Hodgson's kicking will be fine - trouble is he wont have been training on that pitch so wont have the angles down yet but I am sure he will be fine.

Enjoyed the game as a whole, showed lots of promise, Scott Moore was fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2009-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 10:18 pm

I reckon Hodgson is captain. he led the team out, gave the half time talk on the pitch, was giving the instructions when they scored, approached the ref and was giving all the chat to th other players.

I would not take a bet against Hodgson being captain no matter what odds you gave me.
Back to top Go down
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 10:20 pm

dannablue wrote:
I think Hodgson's kicking will be fine - trouble is he wont have been training on that pitch so wont have the angles down yet but I am sure he will be fine.

Enjoyed the game as a whole, showed lots of promise, Scott Moore was fantastic.

Good point, he's too good to not sort his kicking out. Like you said once he is familiar with the pitch he'll be banging them over with his eyes closed.

Scott Moore did have a good game today and by all accounts at Cas too. When he burst onto the scene with Saints he was being hyped as the next great thing (a bit like Kev Brown at Wigan I guess). For whatever reason it hasn't clicked for him in his Super League career thus far, but he might just have joined the right club at the right time and could prove a hugely useful player to us during a long and gruelling season!

(My Wife wanted to point this next bit out!) Stephen Wild was constantly working today, always backing up and supporting his team mates. The guy is fantastic, and if I were him I would feel a bit p*%£!& off not to have been given the Captaincy, if as has been said on here it has been handed to Hodgson. The man showed great loyality by snubbing St.Helens to stay waith us, and he never gives less than 110%. He was the greatest signing Jon Sharp made during his spell in charge.
Back to top Go down
Giant-Dragon
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer
Giant-Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 11:06 pm

Durham Giant wrote:
I reckon Hodgson is captain. he led the team out, gave the half time talk on the pitch, was giving the instructions when they scored, approached the ref and was giving all the chat to th other players.

I would not take a bet against Hodgson being captain no matter what odds you gave me.

All true that! congrats to teh lad if so Very Happy he will do well
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 9:22 am

Can everyone view the video of Kirmonds try on the 1st page of this thread? Someone told me it was just a still image and had no play button. Shocked
Back to top Go down
washy
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 9:55 am

It works for me!
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 10:07 am

and me Ponner

Thanks for that !!
Back to top Go down
bostock
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
bostock

Number of posts : 617

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 12:44 pm

works fine,next time get all the trys. Laughing Wink
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 12:58 pm

bostock wrote:
works fine,next time get all the trys. Laughing Wink
They don't call me sky sports you kow!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reaction to Today's game..   Reaction to Today's game.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Reaction to Today's game..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next