Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thicker squad?

Go down 
+2
BO JANGLES
Pharmergibbs
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Pharmergibbs
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Thicker squad? Empty
PostSubject: Thicker squad?   Thicker squad? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 12:21 pm

Brown was quoted around a month ago saying that we had a thicker squad for next season which will be able to deal with injuries that occur and keep us competative in all our games, looking at the mainline players that have left and come in I am not sure this is going to be the case,

Jackson - Fa'alogo
Fulton - Gilmore
Moore - Drew
Sculthorpe - Grix

I realise we have younger players like Wood and McNally but others have left also. This picture also depends on Whatuira's ability to play for us given his problems and Faiumu getting a visa given the court case. I think with the loss of Sculthorpe to the Bulls we are weaker for it and we really do need a further prop. I realise others can step up including Raleigh and Fa'alogo but if the aim is for a thicker squad with more options I think they are needed elsewhere in the pack. We have lost some size in the squad with the loss of Sculthorpe and I would really like that to be addressed given I think we have bought all the halves/hookers we are going to need.

What do people think?
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Thicker squad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thicker squad?   Thicker squad? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 4:46 pm

Fa-alogo and Gilmore are definitely improvements, I would say myself that A Raleigh needs to be in the front row, he could well be one of the best in the business, with a injury free season. Gilmore would get in most S league sides at either second row or Centre, excellent buy. Drew we know all about, not saying he is better than Moore, but his game will fill a bigger need for us, If he hits some form he can control a game, Grix seems to be a jack of all trades, whether he will become master of one i dont know, The best Iv'e seen him play was fullback at Widnes, and If Cudjo is going to stay on the wing, I wouldn't mind seeing him play there for us with Hodgson at SO, and Brown in the Centre, I'm a bit sorry to see Sculthorpe go as well, but i reckon A Raliegh could be better.
Back to top Go down
Pharmergibbs
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Thicker squad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thicker squad?   Thicker squad? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 4:59 pm

[quote="BO JANGLES"]Grix seems to be a jack of all trades, whether he will become master of one i dont know, The best Iv'e seen him play was fullback at Widnes, and If Cudjo is going to stay on the wing, I wouldn't mind seeing him play there for us with Hodgson at SO, and Brown in the Centre[quote]

I hope Grix can make our team regularly but I cannot see past Hodgson at fullback. It is such an influential position and he is the best in the business at it as the man of steel confirmed. Who knows but at least we do have the options.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Thicker squad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thicker squad?   Thicker squad? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Also remember the likes of Lunt now have more experience. Plus others like Patrick and Carlile are a year older and stronger.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Thicker squad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thicker squad?   Thicker squad? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 9:20 pm

[quote="Pharmergibbs"][quote="BO JANGLES"]Grix seems to be a jack of all trades, whether he will become master of one i dont know, The best Iv'e seen him play was fullback at Widnes, and If Cudjo is going to stay on the wing, I wouldn't mind seeing him play there for us with Hodgson at SO, and Brown in the Centre
Quote :

I hope Grix can make our team regularly but I cannot see past Hodgson at fullback. It is such an influential position and he is the best in the business at it as the man of steel confirmed. Who knows but at least we do have the options.

Yes i know what you are saying about Hodgson, and It's very true , But he does almost operate like a SO, In fact probably most of our best moves last season came with him pulling the strings, Also like Matt i am very hopeful some of the young players are going to shine a bit , Kirmond should be raring to go.
Back to top Go down
boomer
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Thicker squad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thicker squad?   Thicker squad? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Slightly concerned about forward power, although agree Raleigh could make prop,
no way move hodgy from FB
would like to see Kirkmond partner Gilmore in Centers
need to see big things from youngsters, and Cudjoe, Lawrence, Lunt, to establish themselves as top SL players
think Grix will be used as cover for various positions
Eorl to have his biggest season and cement his place as top England prop Thicker squad? 21033
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Thicker squad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thicker squad?   Thicker squad? EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 11:12 pm

boomer wrote:
Slightly concerned about forward power, although agree Raleigh could make prop,
no way move hodgy from FB
would like to see Kirkmond partner Gilmore in Centers
need to see big things from youngsters, and Cudjoe, Lawrence, Lunt, to establish themselves as top SL players
think Grix will be used as cover for various positions
Eorl to have his biggest season and cement his place as top England prop Thicker squad? 21033

I know i am pretty much on my own with my thoughts about Hodgson at SO, It's fair enough i understand why, but the problem we have in the halves that N Brown tried to solve with the attempted signings of Fein and Carney are still with us . Hope Eorl does have his best season ever and then kicks on again, But he really does need to get some aggression from somewhere if he is going to be the best, too much of the gentle Giant, He has earned his place in the England squad, But he is a big lad and people will be expecting big hits, and big line breaks, hope it goes well for him again.
Back to top Go down
Pharmergibbs
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Thicker squad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thicker squad?   Thicker squad? EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:30 am

The half situation might well be solved if Browns plan is to put Robbo to Hooker and leave Drew as Scrum half with Browny. I could have seen that working other than the fact that I would assume Drew is going to need to be spelled this season and we need a scrum half to be doing the full 80. The nice thing is that we do certainly have options. Provided Fats and Faiumu are available then the additon of one more prop would see me confident for the season ahead for equal if not more sucess.

Does anybody know how decent this Fairbank lad is? He is a prop I believe and I wonder if he will see some first team gametime next year.
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Thicker squad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thicker squad?   Thicker squad? EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 9:31 am

Pharmergibbs wrote:
The half situation might well be solved if Browns plan is to put Robbo to Hooker and leave Drew as Scrum half with Browny. I could have seen that working other than the fact that I would assume Drew is going to need to be spelled this season and we need a scrum half to be doing the full 80. The nice thing is that we do certainly have options. Provided Fats and Faiumu are available then the additon of one more prop would see me confident for the season ahead for equal if not more sucess.

Does anybody know how decent this Fairbank lad is? He is a prop I believe and I wonder if he will see some first team gametime next year.

If he is half as good as the rest of the Fairbank clan then he'll be a good un!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716

Thicker squad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thicker squad?   Thicker squad? EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 6:17 pm

FLYINGPROP wrote:
Pharmergibbs wrote:

If he is half as good as the rest of the Fairbank clan then he'll be a good un!!!!!!

Let's put it this way, I believe his Dad goes scouting with a certain B. Noble esq.
Noble has rated him since he was a kid.

The Fairbanks family have a family history of turning out great footy players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thicker squad? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thicker squad?   Thicker squad? Empty

Back to top Go down

Thicker squad?
Page 1 of 1