Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

So into the real knockout stages now

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
shelleygiant
Ballboy
Ballboy
shelleygiant

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-11-29

So into the real knockout stages now Empty
PostSubject: So into the real knockout stages now   So into the real knockout stages now EmptyMon Sep 16, 2013 11:37 am

Proper knockout rugby against Hull now, are all the lads up for it after the bit of a battering our forwards took against Wigan, lots of heads were going down in the last quarter when Wigan really started to put the boot in. Wigan started the 2nd half strong and then moved up a gear and for one reason or another we were unable to respond and started to look tired and laboured. Giving up the ball too easily and missing tackles didn't help our cause and the number of times we spilled the ball in good attacking positions particularly in the 1st half must be a major concern for our coaches.  Are Big Eorl and Lunty fit, neither played big minutes the other night and boy were they missed when they weren't on the pitch, same could be said about Koppy, Larne never really got into the game and Fergy didn't look his usual self. Broughy didn't get the chance to do himself justice behind a beaten pack and Wood when he came on (IMO) doesn't look up to it yet. Was it a case of some of the players freezing on the big occasion, wrong game plan or just a case of a bit of bad luck and a few injuries to key players during the game.
    Whatever the cause I hope we turn up on Thursday with a fully fit team and put the other night and winning the LLS well and truly behind us and concentrate fully on the game in hand and reaching the semis. The only change i'd make assuming Lunty is fit is bringing in Ta'ai (if fit) or Cording/Fairbank for Wood for extra forward power and use Fooey to interchange with Lunt. Think this is going to be a good close game, Hull have a terrific defence as have we and i don't think it'll be a high scoring game so giving up the ball easily and spilling possession in their 20 like we did against Wigan is likely to cost us dear again. Saying that with a fully fit team i'm hoping for a 8/10 point win for us and hopefully a visit to Wigan to right what we did wrong the other night
Back to top Go down
Giantdee
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: So into the real knockout stages now   So into the real knockout stages now EmptyTue Sep 17, 2013 11:07 am

I think we can be confident about this one, not cocky but confident. Watching the Hull/Catalans game played in similar conditions to ours put our performance in perspective, our match with Wigan was greater quality by both sides.

Another thing that was clear watching the other games is that reffing is different in play offs, more reluctance to penalise so more licence to slow down. That together with the weather turning means play offs put more emphasis on pack power, so I agree 4 forwards on the bench. Bruno needs to be at 13 (Bailey, Harrison and Flower will be there for Leeds, Wire and Flower, we need muscle not finesse in the circumstances. Ukuma Ta'ai returning is vital given we are likely to only have a 3 prop rotation.

I think Cording makes the squad but misses the 17, but very happy with him if needed as next man up. Fairbank I don't think will be considered, he played for Batley on sunday (with Mullally), I don't think Anderson trusts either at the moment.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: So into the real knockout stages now   So into the real knockout stages now EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 7:32 am

What a first half. Incredible. Never did I think we could do that to a top half of Super League team. Keep this sort of intensity going and we have every chance of getting to the Final and winning it. Bring on Wire or Wigan.
Back to top Go down
Giantdee
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: So into the real knockout stages now   So into the real knockout stages now EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Well its Wire, which astonishes me. I feel the way they handled this was poor, some daft throwaway comments from the Wire CEO. They have slighted our guys and also made it look like they are afraid of Leeds.

Wire were the one team that worried me, if we play our best we will beat Wigan or Leeds, however Wire have just increased pressure on thier own players. I feel good about our chances on Thursday.

COYG
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

PostSubject: Re: So into the real knockout stages now   So into the real knockout stages now EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 9:01 pm

They claim it was us or Hull, so by that I think they rate us lower than Saints. Time to show them how wrong they are. Can't wait for Thursday and getting to the final.
Back to top Go down
Giantdee
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: So into the real knockout stages now   So into the real knockout stages now EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:38 am

"Getting to the Final" that does sound good!

Perhaps I am gready, but I'd quite like to win it!

Good to see that Phil Bentham of Warrington is not involved in our match, for those looking for omens, the last semi-final we played at the Halliwell Jones was refereed by Richard Silverwood, we won that day Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

PostSubject: Re: So into the real knockout stages now   So into the real knockout stages now EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 5:14 pm

I'll take any good omens we can find. I believe we've lost 8 on the bounce against these lot. That run has to end sometime. Hit em hard early on and fingers crossed we keep it just on the right side of the ref, then we have every chance.
Back to top Go down
Giantdee
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: So into the real knockout stages now   So into the real knockout stages now EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 10:02 am

You have to laugh when the same folk who keep telling us we only won the LLS shield because others were resting players then forget our rested players at home to Warrington (the week before the Leeds Cup tie), together with the snow game that is both league games against Wire that were farce.

I concede that we did not do ourselves justice in the cup tie, Wire started on fire, Bentham was reffing Wire and our lot lost thier composure. But there were positives that day too, we had a ten minute spell late in the first half when we caused them all sorts of problems.

The wire pack is huge, Hill, Wood, Harrison, Morley, Carvell and Cooper are bigger than the 6 props Wigan put out against us, they then have Westwood and Waterhouse at second row. The Wire outside backs are efficient finishers going forward, certainly good enough to finish things off given space from that platform. I do though believe that as a unit ours are better, better at everything really. Leroy and Joe are better centres than Atkins and Bridge/Grix, Murphy is better than Riley, though I would take Monaghan over Jerry. That said let Jerry's carries will be important for us.

not sure if Bodgey will be playing or Ratchford, if we can get an equal share of ball and field position it will not matter. If we are competitive up front I think we will win. A big ask, but this is the 2013 Giants, we have every chance.

COYG So into the real knockout stages now 21033 

Back to top Go down
Giantdee
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: So into the real knockout stages now   So into the real knockout stages now EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Well close but no cigar. Disappointed of course but also very proud of everything Huddersfield Giants over the season. Although beaten last night, there is a way to lose, giving everything. A couple of tight calls or bounces of the ball and it could have been us.

At the end of the day the loss of Stuart Fielden may have cost us, I feel we were another true prop short, but if we sort that things are looking good for the future. Not sure if the rumours are true but I hear Kafusi could be on his way, now that would fit the bill.
Back to top Go down
defleppard
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
defleppard

Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: So into the real knockout stages now   So into the real knockout stages now EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 11:16 am

Bit disappointing from my pov,as in many ways it was a rerun of the challenge cup clash,in that we got totally dominated in the ruck,especially our defensive ruck,the big wire forrards crashing through our first up contact,landing knees and elbows,while our lads lay spreadeagled on the deck,no hope on earth of getting up into marker.Then on the occasions we did manage to control their upper body we often struggled to turtle them.

Lack of size found us out.When Eorl & Koppy take a breather,it's just a holding operation,lose much of our go forward until they return.Eorl said it in zaminah so much pressure on him and Kopz after Stu & LOD departed.Eorl & Koppy have been magnificent all year,unfortunately Kopz does tend to come up with 1 fumble per game and unfortunately it's often on an exit set.The rest of the forwards have done their bit though.

Hung in there well though despite losing the ruck,but some nervous individual errors from certain normally reliable players cost us dearly.

We blew our chance in the Wigan game,19 minutes on clock,3 to 2 overlap on our left edge,but the ball did not go out.That would have been 12 - 0,and that was our ticket to club call and avoiding Warrington til the GF.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So into the real knockout stages now   So into the real knockout stages now Empty

Back to top Go down

So into the real knockout stages now
Page 1 of 1