Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who's the best Fartown #1

Go down 
+6
chuckster
Durham Giant
cabrita
Pharmergibbs
matt01
ponner
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Who's the best Fartown #1 Empty
PostSubject: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 8:53 am

Over the next few months we'll decide what is the greatest ever 1 to 13 ever to play for our club. This week we'll start off with the full back position. If you'd be so kind to give me 2 names for the position and after about a week or so the thread will close and the name that appears the most will be chosen for that position. When all 13 positions have been decided then i'll find which names were mentioned the most but not in the 13 and the 4 top nominees will make up the 4 subs. So in about 4 months we'll know the www.giants.co.nr 'HALL OF FARTOWN FAME'.
So all I need in this thread is the best 2 full backs ever to play for our club in your opinion and it'll be great if you could give a few words as to why you voted for these two players.
Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:22 am

Brett - Man of steel
Reilly - Mr Fartown

I would like to mention another one, but won't break the rules because I don't want to be labelled as a 'Wally' Wink
Back to top Go down
Pharmergibbs
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 10:39 am

Brett- easily the most class we have ever had at full back. Our captain our main attacking pivot and someone we should still be cheering on in the claret and gold. Massive mistake letting him walk over to one of our main rivals.

Reilly- loved watching him, hard as nails and the most committed giant I have ever seen. I remember him running the ball back against Bradford once when Fielden was in his hayday. Reilly went straight towards him as fast as he could. They hit each other so hard they both stopped dead but Fielden was dazed and Reilly ran off with the ball to take the line on again. Brilliant player.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 11:44 am

I was delighted for PR when he got his England call and then again when he was the star man in the tournament. Rated massively by the Fartown faithful and totally underrated by other fans. If he'd been at Leeds or somewhere like that he would have had many more honours and international appearances.
Back to top Go down
cabrita
Ballboy
Ballboy

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Frank 'Spanky' Dyson, a classic full back in the 1960's

Johnny Hunter, signed as an unknown in a deal which brought Lionel Cooper to Fatown, and turned out to be a real star.
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 4:20 pm

B.Hodgson- For me one of the cleverest players to pull on a Huddersfield shirt in my lifetime.
Wally Gibson- Without doubt the most exciting player we've ever had and was my hero as a child.

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming as your votes count.
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2009-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 pm

Old Major Holland 542 points in 218 games and the full back in the best Huddersfield team of all time ( just ask Crackerjack about how good he was when he watched him Exclamation )

New Brett Hodgson classiest player i have seen in a Giants shirt, brave, clever and great attacker.
Back to top Go down
chuckster
chuckster

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 10:07 am

Wally Gibson - still the most exciting and skillful player i've seen in the C&G.
Paul Reilly - Huddersfield through and through - a true legend !!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/dazeastwood?v=feed&story_fbid=13
Ivor C&G Scarf
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Ivor C&G Scarf

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 am

An excellent idea. Unfortunately people are simply naming the ones whom they have seen play [a couple of exceptions].

Whilst Hodgson, Paul R, & Wally G were very good FBs, they really were not a patch on some of the earlier players who filled that position.

Prior to helping out with the Heritage Project, I would have gone for Frank Dyson. However, learning about the great players who have donned the Claret & Gold, I'm not so sure.

Cabrita's & DG's players really are worth looking into.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PhotoLens.co.uk
Giant-Dragon
Graphics Designer
Graphics Designer
Giant-Dragon

Number of posts : 714
Registration date : 2008-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Brett Hodgson and Paul Reilly. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://thoughtsofclaire.wordpress.com
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 9:42 pm

Wally Gibson, came over about the time things started to change

Paul Reilly, tough as old boots and shirked nothing

Micky Bostock, blast from the past
Back to top Go down
shelleygiant
Ballboy
Ballboy
shelleygiant

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 7:26 am

Spanky Dyson, One of my first Fartown "heroes" when I was a nipper.
Brett Hodgson, classy, influential player, probably the best import I've seen in the claret and gold in my lifetime.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's the best Fartown #1   Who's the best Fartown #1 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who's the best Fartown #1
Page 1 of 1