Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Squad

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Squad Empty
PostSubject: Squad   Squad EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Very early in the season i posted some doubts about the size of our squad, I understood the thinking behind it but had serious doubts about a squad with so many players of similar ability, or to be more precise how to keep them all happy, All the rotating and swapping seemed to work well at the start and seemed to be doing the intended job, Then as injuries started to bite it seemed to fall apart somewhat and generally seems to have failed just when it was needed most.
Myself i would prefer to have a couple of real quality signings rather than a huge squad "Just my opinion" For what it's worth I don't think 2 average players make 1 good one, and 2 good players don't make a great one, I hope next year we are going to go more for quality than quantity, IMO it hasn't worked this season , and i know that quality players don't grow on tree's but we need to get a Sam Tomkin's from somewhere, To go forward we need to win things ( and we still might ) We have class players in many positions but we are short of that magic maker we require, hopefully KD will be on the case.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad   Squad EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 8:05 am

We had the magic maker, but let him go to Wire. I think Brough is close to that, but niggles have slowed him down. Hopefully he is now fully fit and ready to guide Fartown through the play-offs. Then he can show that he is just as good as Brett. If there were lots of quality players available to sign then you would have a point, but it's not that easy, so in my opinion the club have done the right thing. Lots of young and hungry players have been signed, some will not make it and drift away others are already showing they are quality and have been given long term contracts. I believe that competition for places is vital, we have that, but like you say sometimes due to injuries or loss of form we lack the magic.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad   Squad EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 1:04 pm

matt01 wrote:
We had the magic maker, but let him go to Wire. I think Brough is close to that, but niggles have slowed him down. Hopefully he is now fully fit and ready to guide Fartown through the play-offs. Then he can show that he is just as good as Brett. If there were lots of quality players available to sign then you would have a point, but it's not that easy, so in my opinion the club have done the right thing. Lots of young and hungry players have been signed, some will not make it and drift away others are already showing they are quality and have been given long term contracts. I believe that competition for places is vital, we have that, but like you say sometimes due to injuries or loss of form we lack the magic.

Yes letting Hodgson go was a massive mistake, but too late to worry about now, Brough i am a huge fan of, he has shown in a few games his capabilities, he has a eye for a gap at times but it's his kicking that is his greatest asset, I f you can keep a pack running from their own 22 he is doing our forwards a massive favor.
I'm not against strong competition for places , but it can go too far sometimes, When you are playing people out of position all over the park that is not competition for places and some players ( A Raleigh for eg ) have not really been given a fair crack, On top of that signing players on 5 year contracts hardly fits in with players fighting for places. I know they are all young players ,and i'm not against the long contracts, I'm just saying that it flies in the face of competition.
My point is that IMO the huge squad experiment ( if that's what it was ) has not been a total success, I would be happy to see a few of our average players go and us find another Hogson from somewhere, There are players out there and they will come if the money is right, but you can't lash out on stars if you are paying a squad the size of ours i suppose.
Back to top Go down
defleppard
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
defleppard

Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad   Squad EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 8:11 am

To be a very top FB in today's game,you have got to be able to join the line outside the halves and make the pass to the outside backs.It's vitally important against the better sides with the well organised defences.This is what Hodgson did so well.He had a weakness to his game though,they all do.

Grix is a fine player,so much of what he does is very very good.

About the halves,if the player is arcing on the outside of a lead runner they need to give him the ball.I realise they have got to mix things up but it's not been getting wide enough for mine lately.They also need the decoys running good angles for them admittedly.On the other hand so much of the rest of the skills on display by the halves has been top class.

All imo of course.

Today's the day when hopefully it will start to come right.

COYG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squad   Squad Empty

Back to top Go down

Squad
Page 1 of 1