Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Larne Patrick

Go down 
+7
ponner
Shogun
Mable_syrup
BO JANGLES
matt01
washy
DYSON28
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DYSON28
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
DYSON28

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Just wanted to know everyones thoughts on Larne, was listening to the Leeds game Friday night on the Radio because unfortunately could not make it, they mentioned Larne and was saying how he was a long way off the likes of Crabtree and Mason i for one am a big Fan and think at the moment he has as much if not more spark and danger about him than Crabtree. I would be dissapointed if he didnt keep his first team spot when injuries are not an issue. Whats everybody else's feelings on this?
Back to top Go down
washy
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 12:36 pm

I think he's a great player! Especially the way he justs walks through tackles!!! He's got some power in those legs!!!
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Very strong for his size. He has deserved the amount of game time he has got this season, but I would still say he is fifth in the pecking order for props, however it will be a tough decision to drop him if we ever have all the other four fit at the same time.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 10:53 am

Along with Mason he is the only other player that hits the line as though he expects to break through, rather than expecting to be brought down, He may not ever be a England class player because of his size , but he is definitely a player who would always be in my squad. Crabtree for me has gone backwards this year along with A Raleigh, I dont know why , unless it's just injuries, It's a shame anyway cause they both have the quality to be top class,
We definitely need to up the skill rate amongst the forwards, there is more to the modern game than battering down the middle of the field and relying entirely on the halves to create the magic all the time, With players like Robbo, Brough and Lunt we have the players to pick up the offloads if they are there. I would have thought that the quality tries we have scored from Fuey's offloads this season the penny would have dropped, Yes you do need a couple of forwards to hit the line hard, ( graham, Peacock, style ) We have them aplenty , we now need some with a few handling skills. Just my opinion of course.
Back to top Go down
DYSON28
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
DYSON28

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:54 am

Agree with that Bo, For me Larne always runs onto a ball and its not hard to realise a big bloke at speed is harder to stop than imo the likes of Crabtree who 9 times out of ten this season is getting the ball stood still and before any pace is picked up the defensive line is in his face. Would love to see as you put it some handling skills in the forwards.
Back to top Go down
Mable_syrup
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-11-30

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 7:03 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
Along with Mason he is the only other player that hits the line as though he expects to break through, rather than expecting to be brought down, He may not ever be a England class player because of his size , but he is definitely a player who would always be in my squad. Crabtree for me has gone backwards this year along with A Raleigh, I dont know why , unless it's just injuries, It's a shame anyway cause they both have the quality to be top class,
We definitely need to up the skill rate amongst the forwards, there is more to the modern game than battering down the middle of the field and relying entirely on the halves to create the magic all the time, With players like Robbo, Brough and Lunt we have the players to pick up the offloads if they are there. I would have thought that the quality tries we have scored from Fuey's offloads this season the penny would have dropped, Yes you do need a couple of forwards to hit the line hard, ( graham, Peacock, style ) We have them aplenty , we now need some with a few handling skills. Just my opinion of course.

At a guess i'd say Eorl is now a marked man due to a great season last year and a superb 4 nations and with Andy, well he isn't a prop, he's a good backrower, helping out because Thewlis or NB didn't secure the services of a prop before letting Jacko go. with the injuries he's picked up he's been very unfortunate but i'm sure he can see light at the end of the tunnel. The club obviously don't think they are 'going backwards' by giving them both long term deals. I'm more annoyed that the kiwi we brought in has been sidelined for most of the season.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:56 am

Mable_syrup wrote:
BO JANGLES wrote:

At a guess i'd say Eorl is now a marked man due to a great season last year and a superb 4 nations and with Andy, well he isn't a prop, he's a good backrower, helping out because Thewlis or NB didn't secure the services of a prop before letting Jacko go. with the injuries he's picked up he's been very unfortunate but i'm sure he can see light at the end of the tunnel. The club obviously don't think they are 'going backwards' by giving them both long term deals. I'm more annoyed that the kiwi we brought in has been sidelined for most of the season.

Valid points, and i wasn't knocking the effort put in by these players, just that we need to change the style somewhat, It may well be that they have been playing exactly how they are coached to play, probably the case. Myself i dont see that Eorl has been getting marked out of the games, If that is the case then he needs to study the likes of Graham and Morley to see how they overcome the problem.

I was one who last year was saying that A Raleigh should be moved to prop, I thought he would have been a big success there, but his style of running has proved to be unsuitable. Like you I'm disappointed with the Fa-alogo situation, we have i think 5 games left to play in the league, It's more than possible he wont play again this season, which i think would mean he has played about 7 games, and some of those he has been spelled in, obviously a very serious injury, but still a big lump of salary cap money sat in the stand.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:12 am

Fa'alogo has played in 11 league games this season according to SLStats, not great for someone who is bound to be on a decent wage, but not as bad as I thought. He is a monster of a forward, so with him and O'Donnell on the pitch next season I think we can afford to have more mobile props like Patrick. I agree with others we only really have Faiumu who regularly off-loads. Still our current system works pretty well and I am happy with the work our forwards put in, they regularly lay a good foundation for the backs.
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 3:25 pm

The way larne is playing at the moment he would be my first forward on the team sheet.
Back to top Go down
DYSON28
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
DYSON28

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Shogun wrote:
The way larne is playing at the moment he would be my first forward on the team sheet.

If there was a like button on this shogun consider this well and truely liked Smile
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:23 pm

I agree with Shogun. Larne is the only prop at the club that could score tries from the halfway line. There's only Mason who runs as hard as Larne. He's the same physic as Leulai at Leeds yet nobody suggests he's not big enough to be a top prop. I'd even go as far as to say Mason and Larne deserve a call up for the 4 nations tour later this year.
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:17 pm

ponner wrote:
I agree with Shogun. Larne is the only prop at the club that could score tries from the halfway line. There's only Mason who runs as hard as Larne. He's the same physic as Leulai at Leeds yet nobody suggests he's not big enough to be a top prop. I'd even go as far as to say Mason and Larne deserve a call up for the 4 nations tour later this year.
Nice to have you back on the board mate. I agree about not all props having to be massive players, although it is also good to have the likes of Crabtree and Griffin. In fact you need a smaller more mobile prop who can do a few more minutes when required. Mase and Raleigh are those for us, but Larne is definitely up there with them now. To have five quality props at a club is a real bonus. If we ever have all five fit then I would definitely rotate them.
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 8:06 pm

Patrick has been awesome this season, he is underrated by opposition, a very very pacey prop and most importantly for the position hits the ball at real speed and looks to break every tackle.

You can see the shock on the defenders faces when attempting to stop him cos he runs well above his weight.

We do need a ball playing forward ala Crabtree last year and Mason has been trying this on a couple of occasions. Fuey does it well but a big unit ala Graham of Saints would be a priority for me as we have too many props of same type.

Will be great if can get Fa'alogo and O'Donnell on field together and think we would have one of the better packs but missing a good center and fullback once Brett goes and now Fatz has gone and we need Brough to turn up week on week next year.

you never know we may win something eventually, B atley have done it, we live in hope pray Smile
Back to top Go down
Meltham Giant
Meltham Giant

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Dunno what everyone else thinks but after watching him these past weeks, he is one of only a few people who are playing week in week out if their life depended on it. Player of the year for me so far!
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 10:30 am

I`ll tell you the one big difference between Larne and the "other" names who should be showing more penetration !!

Eorl and Griff (and many other big lads ) want to show they can knock the other biggun down
That takes a lot out of you yourself (equal forces an all that!)

Larne runs for the gap and into the hole -and usually ends up brushing them aside !

Technique!!
The RIGHT technique !!

Easy really --but can you tell the others ????
Seems not --or Eorl and Griff would be invincible pound for pound
End of!
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 11:35 am

penninegiant wrote:
I`ll tell you the one big difference between Larne and the "other" names who should be showing more penetration !!

Eorl and Griff (and many other big lads ) want to show they can knock the other biggun down
That takes a lot out of you yourself (equal forces an all that!)

Larne runs for the gap and into the hole -and usually ends up brushing them aside !

Technique!!
The RIGHT technique !!

Easy really --but can you tell the others ????
Seems not --or Eorl and Griff would be invincible pound for pound
End of!

Agree PG, It's not totally about size and power ( although it helps ) It's just as much about about technique and skill.

Our forwards have not often been found wanting for effort, But in ball handling skills most of them are second tier , Fiaumu is far and away our most skillfull ball player amongst the forwards, and the quicker players backing up have made good breaks from his offloads.

Solomona is a good example ( like him or not ) Everyone knows about his offloading , but are still unable to stop him, Thats skill and technique, and there are plenty others.
Back to top Go down
anwar1983huddersfieldwhuf
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
anwar1983huddersfieldwhuf

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2009-01-07

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick EmptySat Jul 31, 2010 10:47 am

anyone think giving Crabtree a five year deal was a bit OTT? I mean on his day he is superb, but he now has the comfort of a long term deal and is not going to have to fight to earn a new one. Larne is excellent and alongside Kirmond could be the future for Hudds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Larne Patrick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Larne Patrick   Larne Patrick Empty

Back to top Go down

Larne Patrick
Page 1 of 1