Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Giants v Hull - The match

Go down 
+9
matt01
FLYINGPROP
joek
Giant leopard
ponner
Natalie-x
reidy
BO JANGLES
Gem Bob
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

Giants v Hull - The match Empty
PostSubject: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 7:21 pm

For those who can't go and don't have sky ill do a 1/2 time report and full time. If anyone cares to add to this?

Lets hope we tonk them - I hope Thorman gets a warm welcome back too.
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 8:53 pm

1/2 time:

18 - 10 to Hull Fc

Actually its surprising were only getting beat by 8pts. Giants haven't had a great deal of possession and after a strong start are now on the back foot. Hull are deadly with the kick and every try has been scored from 10m out either through the awesome kicking or the way their are out muscling us in the forwards and making plenty of half breaks.

Aspinwall was having a nightmare and although its a shame he went off injured i was glad to see him go off - he was a liability - Hulls first Try was scored off the back of his knock on, Hulls second Try was scored when he missed a vital tackle which lead to a try. Lots of silly errors from the Giants (mainly passing errors) It seems as though they are trying to be too creative.
Our defence is lacking compared to last week, but this can be directly attributed to our 'big' players out imo.

I don't think a win is beyond our reach but Huddersfield will certainly have to come out a different team in the second half - Still we are laying on and being offside and generally being our own worst enemy.

Thorman watch: To be honest he has been pretty invisible. I only remember seeing him once when we forced him over his own line for a drop out.

Tries for Hudds from Walsh and Brett. Can i also say its vital we somehow keep hold of Moore. Than man is a class apart.

Entertainment factor: 5/10 mainly a frustrating first half seeing us play at a standard i know is below what we are capable of.

Full Time:

24 - 20 Hull (D Hodgson Try at 79mins)

During the second half Hull really didn't have much to offer other than a superb defence. Their kicking was nothing like in the first half and they attack was lacking somewhat. The problem was we had nothing for them.

However, it was a difficult game to analyze in that we didn't play bad - in fact some of the creativity was excellent to see - We just kept fluffing our chances.
It is clear that Nathan Brown has injected a new lease of life into our backs and added a whole new dimension in how we play and it is good to see.

We deff missed Raleigh in the second half (who went off with a broken finger - his bone was sticking out apparently) and we missed some size in our forwards.

I believe we could have won today if it weren't for our errors. Scrappy at times, a really tiring slog but well done to Huddersfield for a spirited if somewhat error strewn effort.

My MOM would go to B Hodgson - Not since Stacey Jones has one man had such an influence over the game. Moore a very close second.

Thorman Watch: A few good chips (one created a try) but i wouldn't say we missed him off tonights performance.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:35 pm

Gem Bob wrote:
1/2 time:

18 - 10 to Hull Fc

Actually its surprising were only getting beat by 8pts. Giants haven't had a great deal of possession and after a strong start are now on the back foot. Hull are deadly with the kick and every try has been scored from 10m out either through the awesome kicking or the way their are out muscling us in the forwards and making plenty of half breaks.

Aspinwall was having a nightmare and although its a shame he went off injured i was glad to see him go off - he was a liability - Hulls first Try was scored off the back of his knock on, Hulls second Try was scored when he missed a vital tackle which lead to a try. Lots of silly errors from the Giants (mainly passing errors) It seems as though they are trying to be too creative.
Our defence is lacking compared to last week, but this can be directly attributed to our 'big' players out imo.

I don't think a win is beyond our reach but Huddersfield will certainly have to come out a different team in the second half - Still we are laying on and being offside and generally being our own worst enemy.

Thorman watch: To be honest he has been pretty invisible. I only remember seeing him once when we forced him over his own line for a drop out.

Tries for Hudds from Walsh and Brett. Can i also say its vital we somehow keep hold of Moore. Than man is a class apart.

Entertainment factor: 5/10 mainly a frustrating first half seeing us play at a standard i know is below what we are capable of.

Full Time:

24 - 20 Hull (D Hodgson Try at 79mins)

During the second half Hull really didn't have much to offer other than a superb defence. Their kicking was nothing like in the first half and they attack was lacking somewhat. The problem was we had nothing for them.

However, it was a difficult game to analyze in that we didn't play bad - in fact some of the creativity was excellent to see - We just kept fluffing our chances.
It is clear that Nathan Brown has injected a new lease of life into our backs and added a whole new dimension in how we play and it is good to see.

We deff missed Raleigh in the second half (who went off with a broken finger - his bone was sticking out apparently) and we missed some size in our forwards.

I believe we could have won today if it weren't for our errors. Scrappy at times, a really tiring slog but well done to Huddersfield for a spirited if somewhat error strewn effort.

My MOM would go to B Hodgson - Not since Stacey Jones has one man had such an influence over the game. Moore a very close second.

Thorman Watch: A few good chips (one created a try) but i wouldn't say we missed him off tonights performance.

You went to a different game to me.
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 10:39 pm

I armchaired this one.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 11:05 pm

Gem Bob wrote:
I armchaired this one.

You did right mate, I was really disappointed with that.We spent 3/4s of the first half getting a good hiding in the forwards and throwing stupid passes out, most of the rest of the game we spent knocking on, giving penalties away and trying unsuccessfully to complete a sett of 6 tackles. We put on about four decent moves and scored some nice tries, but how we managed to lose that by only 4 points i don't know ( and if Hodgson was a half decent kicker we would have drawn ) That first half has to be his worst yet for the Giants, somebody needs to tell him that our players don't have the same skill levels as he was used to in Oz. All in all a very poor performance from the team who do themselves no favors at all, Over 10,000 crowd, on TV, and they put on a show like that.

Still It's only one game, Plenty of time yet, Hope Hodgson can sort his goal kicking out though, he doesnt look very confident at all, Have we got anyone else who can kick ?
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 11:11 pm

A complete debarcle. What a bl00dy waste of season ticket.
2 Home games, 2 bad losses and tonight there were no excuses, we played shocking and the handling and discipline could have been better.

Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
Natalie-x
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
Natalie-x

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Well said Scott! Totally agree with ya there mate.. played s**t! Hodgson needs to improve on his kicking too.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 11:19 pm

reidy@work wrote:
A complete debarcle. What a bl00dy waste of season ticket.
2 Home games, 2 bad losses and tonight there were no excuses, we played shocking and the handling and discipline could have been better.

Nuff said.

Completely aggree mate, WE got a hammering in the forwards last week at bradford, but we defended a hell of a lot better than tonight, I think all Hulls tries came from possesion we gifted them for one reason or another.
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyFri Mar 06, 2009 11:46 pm

I'm so annoyed purely at the handling more than owt. Last nights Varsity match were better disciplined than us tonight.
We are meant to to be the new SL side on the up, I'm sorry, but tonight proved quite the opposite and Sharp & THorman made us look like amateurs.
Their gameplay and KICKING GAME won it.
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 5:16 am

CRAP!!!!
We played absolutely garbage yet only lost by 4!!!! We should have blown Hull away last night, they were nothing special at all.
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
Giant leopard

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 8:10 am

Worst pefomance since Quins away last year. No drive, composure or orgasnisation. The amount of handling errors and shocking passes is not accpetable at this level. Roll on Cas!
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 8:18 am

You know i disagree.

Im not sure we were crap per se. Crap is running straight up the middle off every play of the ball. Crap is being unimaginative and repetitive.

Last night we were more sloppy and unlucky than crap.

Think about it, for a start we were out muscled in the forwards - we have two of our biggest guys out.

We were nailed by their kicking game - Aspers personally gifted them 2 tries.

I believe that at the game you are a bit more critical because you feel the atmosphere and the general feeling and you all wind each other up etc. But if you sit and watch it on TV and listen to the unbiased comments you will have watched a team that is like no othr Huddersfield i have seen in years. Look at Walsh's try - awsome, some of the passing from Huddersfield was superb. We have the right ideas and if they had have pulled off we would have blown Hull away.

We weren't crap by any mark and i found encouragement from watching last nights game.
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 11:16 am

Watched the game when I got home and of the same opinion mate.
Crap is dropping the ball before you get to the last tackle too many times.
Crap is the amount of tackles we fell off too many times.
Crap is the Giants last night.
Back to top Go down
joek
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 11:26 am

Live in London, cant make Friday night games, but will be at Cas next week. We were poor, but still kept them near. Missed Griff, Earl and Raleigh in 2nd half. Faiumu wasted at loose forward. I want them to be adventurous, but in your own 20, crazy at times. B Hodgson and Moore very good. Hull played conservatively and that won them the game. Cudjoe still ran weakly, both wings poor, sadly. Aspy is aways so secure. Brown's comments after were spot on . Wild was almost an extra prop.
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP
FLYINGPROP

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 1:33 pm

Penalised thruout game for same things Hull were doing and getting away with, We don't have enough creativity at the moment.

Scored first try off a bomb to young winger Ainscough NEVER DID IT AGAIN? WHY?

Tackeling was worst I have seen for a while from a normally good defensive Huddersfield team.

Granted we were missing some of our forwards but it's a long season and we gonna have to get used to it, the squad players have to step up to the plate.

Dissapointed in the forwards last night as we were on the backfoot most of the game.

Want to see Robbo with the little chip overs for Browny more often and earlier in the game, Kicking from hand has been poor this season, need to turn their wingers/fullback or make touch with the kicks.

After all that it's 4 games in and we played some of the teams tipped to do well, 2 wins out of 4 isn't bad and look forward to some of the so called lesser teams.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 5:40 pm

That showing was totally unacceptable in almost every way. Mr Brown needs to sort the pack out before we are too deep into the season, (not easy when you have so many out ) The one positive i can see from that was , If we can play as poorly as that and still only lose by 4 points, having missed two kicks then there is lots of hope. If we had of defended like we did against Bradford we would have won, despite all the trillions of mistakes.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySat Mar 07, 2009 7:56 pm

I have only seen us against Saints and Hull, but we seem to lack any go forward. Players will make mistakes, that is only natural, but were do the breaks, creativity and long range tries come from?
Back to top Go down
anwar1983huddersfieldwhuf
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
anwar1983huddersfieldwhuf

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 1:14 am

We look a different team at home. Against Catalans we looked like world beaters, the quality of the rugby was second to none. Against Bradford we defended for our lives, took our chances and did a professional number on them. Saints match, well what can you do? Hull, was poor however we try and look at it. Yes the ref was a joke, but 9 times out of 10 they always are. There were acceptable individual performances, but as a team it just didn't happen. We looked nervous and we definately lacked power and balls in the forwards. Griff and Eorl are massive players for us, we look fragile without them even against the Bulls who to be fair are under strength and playing poop at the moment anyway. I wonder if the pressure of playing top a larger more expectant crowd at the Galpharm has gotten to one or two of the lads. I wouldn't like to say what will happen against Cas, it's gonna be a close one though.
Back to top Go down
Ivor C&G Scarf
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Ivor C&G Scarf

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 10:30 pm

I've said this on the other board - and Expect Ponner to come back at me - but here goes.

Whilst Thorman was not the star for Hull, he outperformed both Brown & Robinson. He put i n good kicks, he ran hard, oh, and did his critics see him catch that bomb? No, he didn't break through - but neither did Brown nor Robbo. How Brown got MoM is beyond me [Raleigh by a long chalk]. We had no creativity nor organisation.

Yes, our main downfall was the appalling handling and Hefin passes in our own 20. It's unfair to blame Aspy, one of the passes to him was absolutely diabolical.

I also don't think we were constantly penalised. Smith had an outstanding game. He did seem at times to be 'against us', but on closer inspection he was spot on.

3-2-1 is going to be easy this week as their were only 3 decent players.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PhotoLens.co.uk
reidy
reidy

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 10:40 pm

There is one thing, I personally thought that the tackle on Aspy was complete, he had 2 Hull players on him and it wasn't a voluntary tackle. They then lifted him and put him into touch with another player joining in to hoist him off the deck.

Andy Raleigh was penalised for holding down. Time it against the Hull side holding down and it was no way comparible. Like Saints did, Hull pushed it to and beyond the limit and got away with it.

Apart from that, Brett's kicking let us down big time and we just didn't watch the game.
Ball handling was less than mediocre and we had alot to learn off the back of this.

Yes we have injuries and people 'left out......' of the squad, but we are a superleague squad with a superb academy and reserves coming through.
If Wigan's performance was anything to go by against Bradford, we should give them a chance. Even to cover for injury. The experience should do them some good!
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Ivor C&G Scarf wrote:
I've said this on the other board - and Expect Ponner to come back at me - but here goes.

Whilst Thorman was not the star for Hull, he outperformed both Brown & Robinson.
He put i n good kicks, he ran hard, oh, and did his critics see him catch that bomb? No, he didn't break through - but neither did Brown nor Robbo. How Brown got MoM is beyond me [Raleigh by a long chalk]. We had no creativity nor organisation.

Yes, our main downfall was the appalling handling and Hefin passes in our own 20. It's unfair to blame Aspy, one of the passes to him was absolutely diabolical.

I also don't think we were constantly penalised. Smith had an outstanding game. He did seem at times to be 'against us', but on closer inspection he was spot on.

We'll have to agree to disagree Smile
Thorman was as much use to Hull on friday as I was to the Giants Wink
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 1:17 pm

ponner wrote:
Ivor C&G Scarf wrote:

Whilst Thorman was not the star for Hull, he outperformed both Brown & Robinson.
He put i n good kicks, he ran hard, oh, and did his critics see him catch that bomb? No, he didn't break through - but neither did Brown nor Robbo. How Brown got MoM is beyond me [Raleigh by a long chalk]. We had no creativity nor organisation.

I thought Thorman had a OK game , not outstanding in any way. Horn was by far the best half on the field, I said in a post before the game that the halves would be a different class to the Bulls. I thought Brown ( who i don't really see as a SO ) tried hard, but playing behind a pack that is so heavily beaton can't be easy, I think with so many first choice forwards out it could be much the same story on Sat, but surely we cant be as bad again at completing setts so i reckon we have a chance, I am putting Fridays show down to trying to hard in front of the big crowd and the TV. If we can halfway hold the forwards, we have a chance.
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 3:31 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
ponner wrote:
Ivor C&G Scarf wrote:

I thought Thorman had a OK game , not outstanding in any way. Horn was by far the best half on the field, I said in a post before the game that the halves would be a different class to the Bulls. I thought Brown ( who i don't really see as a SO ) tried hard, but playing behind a pack that is so heavily beaton can't be easy, I think with so many first choice forwards out it could be much the same story on Sat, but surely we cant be as bad again at completing setts so i reckon we have a chance, I am putting Fridays show down to trying to hard in front of the big crowd and the TV. If we can halfway hold the forwards, we have a chance.

Thats the thing with Thorman, since he came back from Oz he was never much more than ok in my eyes. He did have some class games but these were few and far between.
Back to top Go down
Giant leopard

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 4:37 pm

I've held off for a while on this one but here goes....... I see Kevin Brown gets a lot of stick for not been a decent half back, however Robinson is supposed to be a decent half back but does not do enough in my book to influence our attacking play. We have plenty of players who can run from dummy half in Moore, Lunt, Fauimu. What we need is a real kicking game and to date Robinson just hasn't done that consistently enough for me. I think he really needs to stand up and be counted and try to play a more controlled game for us........ cos we clearly need it.
Back to top Go down
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2009-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 5:45 pm

I think Robinson plays more like a hooker. he should be running from Dummy Half. GL is right he is not creative enough has no kicking game and does not bring enough other players into the attack.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Giants v Hull - The match   Giants v Hull - The match Empty

Back to top Go down

Giants v Hull - The match
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next