Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best we can hope for?

Go down 
+5
bostock
BO JANGLES
Helen
Ivor C&G Scarf
ponner
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Best we can hope for? Empty
PostSubject: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 8:55 am

What position do you think is still realistically within our reach? The way teams are knocking points off each other suggests that teams won't need as many as in the past to make the top 6. Is it still a possibility if the lads turn it around?
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
Ivor C&G Scarf
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Ivor C&G Scarf

Number of posts : 986
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 9:39 am

Based on the first half of the season we should end up with 12 points - Saints to play twice, Cas & HKR once each.Throw in the pre-season gives us another 2 from Hull.

Potentially we have the players to still reach the play-offs. However, carrying on as we are, 11th is best we can hope for.

I did expect KD to make an announcement yesterday.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PhotoLens.co.uk
Helen
Ballboy
Ballboy

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2008-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 10:03 am

Ivor C&G Scarf wrote:

I did expect KD to make an announcement yesterday.

I was hopeful, but didn't really expect it... flying pigs are my favourite animals Neutral
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 10:05 am

What kind of announcement? You don't mean the one i've been waiting for for so long Laughing
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 11:04 am

ponner wrote:
What kind of announcement? You don't mean the one i've been waiting for for so long Laughing

It's a matter of time, Everyone knows there is something more that bad luck and bad refs going on
Back to top Go down
bostock
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
bostock

Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 2:02 pm

I personally rate john sharp(future GB coach)for me its the player's.
robbie and brad held the team together with experience and leadership witch sadly we lack big time Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ivor C&G Scarf
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Ivor C&G Scarf

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 2:24 pm

bostock wrote:
robbie and brad held the team together with experience and leadership witch sadly we lack big time Rolling Eyes

I'd certainly agree with that last sentence.
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyTue May 13, 2008 10:37 pm

Sharpy has created a huge slurry pit for himself.
Started with Jimmy Evans and it has snowballed. Sorry but if the players aren't playing for him ,they ain't gonna do it for our benefit.
Hull did it with Kear, Salford did it with Harrison, Giants are doing it with JS.
I'd get job hunting if I were him.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 10:41 am

bostock wrote:

I would be interested to hear what you see or have seen in JS to make you think he is a future GB coach, You are perfectly entitled to that opinion of course but i find it a bit baffling. M y own opinion is that he has had a very mediocre record at Huddersfield taking into account the team strengthening that has gone on over his time at the club. Yes we have had some successes and he deserves his share of credit for that but we have to keep things in perspective, If i recall (and the memory aint what it was ) in our two cup runs we defeated two Super league sides all the rest were either French part timers or NL teams, On both occasions we eventually came up against Saints with the same result on both occasions unfortunately, While there is no disgrace in being beaten by Saints, and without wishing to take the credit away from the team, it needs to be recognised for what it was. ( two good cup runs against mainly inferior opposition)

The playoff position last season to me was a far greater achievement, especially after the start we had with seven losses, Unfortunately we did not progress past the first game, While JS got and deserved the credit for coaching them to the play off position we have to remember that he was also the coach who coached them to the first seven defeats. There has in my opinion been far to much celebrating of mediocrity, I know that sounds harsh but its the way i see it after what i got used to as a youngster.
On top of this JS has been a part of the GB coaching set up that proved to be very poor and short lived, now we regularly hear him on the Radio or read his words in the Examiner and It's always someone else's fault, either the ref's ,bad luck, the RFL , anyone. Added to this has been his team selection and possesional places ,which at times to me has beggared belief (remember O Hare ) Hooker one week, LF next week, dropped week after. He may well make a good coach some day but he has a long way to go yet, I'M astounded he has lasted as long as he has with the Giants to be honest , and i think the RFL will have to be pretty desperate to select him. Just my opinion of course.
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 10:54 am

BO JANGLES wrote:
bostock wrote:

I would be interested to hear what you see or have seen in JS to make you think he is a future GB coach, You are perfectly entitled to that opinion of course but i find it a bit baffling. M y own opinion is that he has had a very mediocre record at Huddersfield taking into account the team strengthening that has gone on over his time at the club. Yes we have had some successes and he deserves his share of credit for that but we have to keep things in perspective, If i recall (and the memory aint what it was ) in our two cup runs we defeated two Super league sides all the rest were either French part timers or NL teams, On both occasions we eventually came up against Saints with the same result on both occasions unfortunately, While there is no disgrace in being beaten by Saints, and without wishing to take the credit away from the team, it needs to be recognised for what it was. ( two good cup runs against mainly inferior opposition)

The playoff position last season to me was a far greater achievement, especially after the start we had with seven losses, Unfortunately we did not progress past the first game, While JS got and deserved the credit for coaching them to the play off position we have to remember that he was also the coach who coached them to the first seven defeats. There has in my opinion been far to much celebrating of mediocrity, I know that sounds harsh but its the way i see it after what i got used to as a youngster.
On top of this JS has been a part of the GB coaching set up that proved to be very poor and short lived, now we regularly hear him on the Radio or read his words in the Examiner and It's always someone else's fault, either the ref's ,bad luck, the RFL , anyone. Added to this has been his team selection and possesional places ,which at times to me has beggared belief (remember O Hare ) Hooker one week, LF next week, dropped week after. He may well make a good coach some day but he has a long way to go yet, I'M astounded he has lasted as long as he has with the Giants to be honest , and i think the RFL will have to be pretty desperate to select him. Just my opinion of course.
Best post of the new forum so far in my opinion. :king:
Back to top Go down
Ivor C&G Scarf
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend
Ivor C&G Scarf

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 11:53 am

You are somewhat biaised with the sentiments, though!

However, I'll go so far as to say 'best post after my efforts'.

Well said, BJ.
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Pretty much spot on wi' that Bo.
All these former Aussies that are newcomers over the last season and a half are at present, looking nothing other than over-rated.
Back to top Go down
Eclair
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 12:08 pm

I know it's a 'would've, could've, should've' statement, but if I remember correctly Paul Morgan at the GE evening said that had we won those games we lost by 4 points or fewer we would now be in 3rd place.
Back to top Go down
bostock
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
bostock

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 12:46 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
bostock wrote:

good opinion granted,
but what did we do under,mal reilly,jon kear,gary schofield,van dyveld,tony smith,etc?nothing!!
and all with big signings,yes john sharp has as well but look at the squad,full of young brits more than any other superleague squad.
you all forget where we were just a few seasons ago
as for saints we have started to beat teams like them under sharp and nobody can deny we are not getting the rub off the green at the moment. Very Happy
you will tell me next that you would have paul cullen as GB coach?
john can only dream of the money and signings thay have had, but what have thay done:nothing so get off his back and support the team(support)if you support someone,you agree with their aims and want them to succeed) Shocked
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 12:57 pm

Eclair wrote:
I know it's a 'would've, could've, should've' statement, but if I remember correctly Paul Morgan at the GE evening said that had we won those games we lost by 4 points or fewer we would now be in 3rd place.
and had we lost those we won by only 4 points or the draw we would be joint bottom with a side that has written itself off.

Don't get me wrong I am a Sharp fan, but excuses don't get us points and our directors shouldn't be making excuses for our position.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 1:55 pm

bostock wrote:
BO JANGLES wrote:
bostock wrote:

good opinion granted,
but what did we do under,mal reilly,jon kear,gary schofield,van dyveld,tony smith,etc?nothing!!
and all with big signings,yes john sharp has as well but look at the squad,full of young brits more than any other superleague squad.
as for saints we have started to beat teams like them under sharp and nobody can deny we are not getting the rub off the green at the moment. Very Happy
john can only dream of the money and signings thay have had, but what have thay done:nothing so get off his back and support the team(support)if you support someone,you agree with their aims and want them to succeed) Shocked

I agree with what you say about all those other coaches, with the exception of T Smith, but we are falling into the old habit of talking about other coaches, It's not about other coaches, which none, of who you named had anything remotely like the quality of squads that JS has had, And what you mean by not getting the rub of the green at the moment, If you are referring to injuries, then yes it is not good having players sidelined, but even you must agree when compared to the Likes of Hull, warrington and wakey (who beat us with half their A team) we have faired rather well.
Why people need to keep comparing us with where we were a few seasons ago i dont know, it has no relevance at all to our present position, but yes we are a club in much better shape, we are told repeatedly we now have the stature to attract quality international players, and we do so , now taking such as this into account where do you suggest we look for the reasons we are bottom of the league, If we are to accept J Sharps reasons it is Bad reffing, bad luck, best side loosing, if i remember rightly it's not so long ago there was supposed to to be a vendetta against the club.

P Cullan is not a coach that i would be recommending for GB coach, i put him in the same bracket as JS, he has had enough time and decent players to make more of a mark than he has(Although season after season Wire have faired very badly with injuries) And if we have to keep making comparisons, why not against teams such as HKR, Catalan for eg. I am not saying we dont have good players, we do ,there are internationals from both hemispheres, and we are at last beginning to take young player development seriously, what i am asking is why in JSharps time with all these better players have we failed in almost every season to win even 50%of our games.
For you to expect me or anyone to blindly support him because i agree with his aims is a bit much, It's not his aims i don't agree with It's his methods of going about reaching them, and the endless whinging. I dont know if you were watching the team when Murphy was coach, if you weren't then you missed seeing someone who could get players up for a game and didn't blame everybody else in rugby when things went wrong.
Anyway we both have our opinions, i dont suppose we shall agree but that's life, i 'm sure we can both live with it. I shall continue to support the team as and when i feel like going, I like everyone else want to see them do well, and get back to where they have been in past times ,whoever the coach
Back to top Go down
bostock
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
bostock

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 2:57 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
bostock wrote:
BO JANGLES wrote:
bostock wrote:

good opinion granted,

I agree with what you say about all those other coaches, with the exception of T Smith, but we are falling into the old habit of talking about other coaches, It's not about other coaches, which none, of who you named had anything remotely like the quality of squads that JS has had, And what you mean by not getting the rub of the green at the moment, If you are referring to injuries, then yes it is not good having players sidelined, but even you must agree when compared to the Likes of Hull, warrington and wakey (who beat us with half their A team) we have faired rather well.
Why people need to keep comparing us with where we were a few seasons ago i dont know, it has no relevance at all to our present position, but yes we are a club in much better shape, we are told repeatedly we now have the stature to attract quality international players, and we do so , now taking such as this into account where do you suggest we look for the reasons we are bottom of the league, If we are to accept J Sharps reasons it is Bad reffing, bad luck, best side loosing, if i remember rightly it's not so long ago there was supposed to to be a vendetta against the club.

P Cullan is not a coach that i would be recommending for GB coach, i put him in the same bracket as JS, he has had enough time and decent players to make more of a mark than he has(Although season after season Wire have faired very badly with injuries) And if we have to keep making comparisons, why not against teams such as HKR, Catalan for eg. I am not saying we dont have good players, we do ,there are internationals from both hemispheres, and we are at last beginning to take young player development seriously, what i am asking is why in JSharps time with all these better players have we failed in almost every season to win even 50%of our games.
For you to expect me or anyone to blindly support him because i agree with his aims is a bit much, It's not his aims i don't agree with It's his methods of going about reaching them, and the endless whinging. I dont know if you were watching the team when Murphy was coach, if you weren't then you missed seeing someone who could get players up for a game and didn't blame everybody else in rugby when things went wrong.
Anyway we both have our opinions, i dont suppose we shall agree but that's life, i 'm sure we can both live with it. I shall continue to support the team as and when i feel like going, I like everyone else want to see them do well, and get back to where they have been in past times ,whoever the coach
what did tony smith do?did he get us to a challenge cup final?did he take us to the playoffs?no he took us down!!
so that tells me you no nothing about coaches,yes i watched murphy(third division)so your point is????
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 4:49 pm

bostock wrote

what did tony smith do?did he get us to a challenge cup final?did he take us to the playoffs?no he took us down!!
so that tells me you no nothing about coaches,yes i watched murphy(third division)so your point is????

We did go down under Smith, but if i remember rightly he got us back up and finally got us off the bottom of the table, then went on to coach Leeds to be champions, and GB .
My point with Murphy was that he took us from near the bottom of the third div to near the top of the second, and i believe would have taken us to Super league Had the finances been available, I thought he was a good coach and a even better player, and you may be right ,i may know nothing about coaches, but i know when i see a team of very talented players playing very badly for half seasons at a time, it's down to more than bad luck and bad refs
Back to top Go down
reidy
reidy

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 5:34 pm

bostock wrote:
BO JANGLES wrote:
bostock wrote:
BO JANGLES wrote:
bostock wrote:

good opinion granted,

Tony Smith did superb. He came in on the back of someone elses mess. We may have been relegated, but the season in NL1 allowed us to re-group and attract some decent names back.
I was gutted when Leeds tempted him away from us.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Smith did do fantastic and is an excellent coach, however I do believe Sharp has continued from where Smith left off. Yes at the moment times are tough and it is uncertain whether Sharp will remain or not, but to me he has been successful for us and should also be remember fondly, because he has been our most successful coach in god knows how many years.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 6:50 pm

matt01 wrote:
Smith did do fantastic and is an excellent coach, however I do believe Sharp has continued from where Smith left off. Yes at the moment times are tough and it is uncertain whether Sharp will remain or not, but to me he has been successful for us and should also be remember fondly, because he has been our most successful coach in god knows how many years.

Yes fair enough matt,we could have had worse and we have as you say had some success, but i still maintain i have seen nothing in him to recommend him as GB coach. hopefully tomorrow may be a turning point for us all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 7:43 pm

Sharp as GB coach? I absolutely agree with you.

Since GB no longer exist of course.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 7:46 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
matt01 wrote:

Yes fair enough matt,we could have had worse and we have as you say had some success, but i still maintain i have seen nothing in him to recommend him as GB coach. hopefully tomorrow may be a turning point for us all.
without a doubt we have huge highs and lows with Sharp in charge. His 1st season saw us riding high and in a cup semi final, then it all fell apart and we finished outside the top six, similarly the following the season, then the cup final, then last season we started badly, but finished strong and now this season so far has been a low.

GB coach, not at the moment, but then again if we are eventually to have a British GB coach he has to be in the running.
Back to top Go down
bostock
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
bostock

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 11:30 pm

all i am trying to say is i don't care who the coach is, we need to support them and the team.
that is what a supporter does,good times and the bad.
it just get's to me all the back biting.
i have supported them from the third division and when we where bottom of superleague for so many,when most supporter disappeared.
so for me john sharp is doing a great job! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy(that's my opinion)
come on the giants cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? EmptySat May 17, 2008 11:37 pm

your enthusiasm and optimism is indeed to be envied young man --may it be ultimately rewarded !

sadly I have witnessed what you probably have not - and whether I can hang on long enough .............................................I know not!! Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best we can hope for?   Best we can hope for? Empty

Back to top Go down

Best we can hope for?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next