Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great laugh

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Just had a glance on the other forum, there's a thread on there for people to name their Giant's hall of fame, I recommend having a look, It's the best laugh i have had in a long time, If they changed it to name your favorite players it might begin to make a bit of sense, as it stands , if people have picked some of those players on their quality , then it shows just how little they know about Rugby league, some of them must have been picked for their loyalty to the club surely, which is fair enough, but hall of fame ? Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Glad Ive made yer laugh Bo!! Wink

..................but seriously .............they can only pick who they`ve seen play--yes???
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 6:37 pm

penninegiant wrote:
Glad Ive made yer laugh Bo!! Wink

..................but seriously .............they can only pick who they`ve seen play--yes???

Well thats true enough PG, but i dont care how many times they watched players like Dale Laughton and darren Fleary play, they have never been anything but averidge players, Anyway I'm not going to say any more i might upset someone.
Back to top Go down
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player
adelaide-giant.no9

Number of posts : 1835
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 9:12 pm

its a personal thing rather than a actual hall of fame elect,its just a light hearted look back at favourite players....lighten up
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player
penninegiant

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 am

I`m shining lie a light bulb, - Charlie!! Wink
Back to top Go down
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player
adelaide-giant.no9

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 7:08 am

penninegiant wrote:
I`m shining lie a light bulb, - Charlie!! Wink

you been drinking again rodders ? lol

at least you got to see a few proper legends play the game, most of us just managed to see good players playing for the claret and gold.. not legends, but to us these players will be remembered for their part in the history of huddersfdield rlfc and for that they will be remembered as legends in our eyes if not by the general public

most fans of my age loved hanger, austin, kerry etc, non of them world beaters but great for our club in a crisis..who can forget austin after equalling the try scoring record against blackpool in 95( ten tries in a game?), then crossing the line for his next try and passing the ball as he didnt want to break the try scoring record set by wagstaff? who was playing against proper opposition ratrher than amateurs when he set his record..for me players like him were superb for our club, probably nowhere near the standard we have today in superleague, but 15-20 years ago these boys were awesome to the few faithful we had
Back to top Go down
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 315
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:39 am

BO JANGLES wrote:
Just had a glance on the other forum, there's a thread on there for people to name their Giant's hall of fame, I recommend having a look, It's the best laugh i have had in a long time, If they changed it to name your favorite players it might begin to make a bit of sense, as it stands , if people have picked some of those players on their quality , then it shows just how little they know about Rugby league, some of them must have been picked for their loyalty to the club surely, which is fair enough, but hall of fame ? Very Happy .

I think the title of the thread is, ''Your Hall of Fame''. I would go as far as saying that we have not had a genuine Hall of famer playing for us since the mid sixties. Which means that you would need to be over 50 to have seen a genuine Hall of famer.

Thinking about the demographics of posters on the forums if it had been left for the over 55s that would have only allowed about 4 people to have joined in.

I would echo adelaides point most of us have never seen the Giants have top players in the top league playing at internatioinal level until recently.

the only genuine one i could think of would have been Brett Hodgson , Mos, captian our highest league position for 40 years and a CC final. But he seems to have played this season to become a legend for the wrong reasons. Short of winning the Grand Final he will have to go out of that list Laughing Laughing

Whatever you think of the players on the list they were the best that any of us have seen in a C&G shirt . Austins actions in not beating Lionel Coopers try scoring record say a lot about the man who despite being a foreigner knew the clubs history and did something to maintain the position of a real legend in the pantheon of RL and Huddersfield history. That act alone would deserve a place in Giants history books.

I have got a copy of David Gronows book 100 Huddersfield Greats.I have been watching the Giants for 35 years and i would struggle to pick 100 genuine legends out of that book that i have actually seen in the flesh.

You obviously hav m ore years of watching Huddersfield than most of us so like crackers i would love to see your list. If only to feel jealous at the opportunity you had to see genuinely great players like Valentine.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 1:31 pm

Durham Giant wrote:
BO JANGLES wrote:

I think the title of the thread is, ''Your Hall of Fame''. I would go as far as saying that we have not had a genuine Hall of famer playing for us since the mid sixties. Which means that you would need to be over 50 to have seen a genuine Hall of famer.

Thinking about the demographics of posters on the forums if it had been left for the over 55s that would have only allowed about 4 people to have joined in.

I would echo adelaides point most of us have never seen the Giants have top players in the top league playing at internatioinal level until recently.

the only genuine one i could think of would have been Brett Hodgson , Mos, captian our highest league position for 40 years and a CC final. But he seems to have played this season to become a legend for the wrong reasons. Short of winning the Grand Final he will have to go out of that list Laughing Laughing

Whatever you think of the players on the list they were the best that any of us have seen in a C&G shirt . Austins actions in not beating Lionel Coopers try scoring record say a lot about the man who despite being a foreigner knew the clubs history and did something to maintain the position of a real legend in the pantheon of RL and Huddersfield history. That act alone would deserve a place in Giants history books.

I have got a copy of David Gronows book 100 Huddersfield Greats.I have been watching the Giants for 35 years and i would struggle to pick 100 genuine legends out of that book that i have actually seen in the flesh.

You obviously hav m ore years of watching Huddersfield than most of us so like crackers i would love to see your list. If only to feel jealous at the opportunity you had to see genuinely great players like Valentine.

Well i did say that if they were picked as favorite players that's fair enough, I also said if they were picked for their loyalty to the club that's also fair enough, I obviously misunderstood the thread, As far as seeing the great Fartown players of past years, You wouldn't want to be 40 years older just so you could say you have seen them would you Very Happy In truth i wish you could have seen players like Murphy ( the best SH to ever step on a field ) His skills were quite magical, Millward, Hardisty, Fox, Lewis Jones, the wild bull and Vollenhoven, all and many more who were a joy to watch, At Fartown Devery was quite superb, usually when he gave the ball to his winger, it would have been hard not to score, Dave Valentine, as good a LF as you will ever see, and did it week in week out, not just now and then,
We had a lot of quality players in the late 50s and early 60s, and i wish everyone could have seen them, That's not to say we haven't had some quality ones since, Players like Gibson, Hanger , Costin and lot's more ,were all good players, and like PG says people can only pick who they have seen, But to be fair when you have watched players of the class of Boston and Ashton and the like, It's hard to take seriously some of the names on some of them lists, but again as A G said , It's a bit of fun, maybe not meant to be taken seriously.

Durham G My all time favorite Fartowner as i have said before was Mick Sullivan, He wasn't the fastest, he wasn't the biggest, and he wasn't Hall of fame, But he gave 100% in every game i saw him play for Fartown and he tackled 3 times his weight, When he hit a Aussie winger he meant it.
Back to top Go down
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 1:35 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
Durham Giant wrote:
BO JANGLES wrote:

Well i did say that if they were picked as favorite players that's fair enough, I also said if they were picked for their loyalty to the club that's also fair enough, I obviously misunderstood the thread, As far as seeing the great Fartown players of past years, [b]You wouldn't want to be 40 years older just so you could say you have seen them would you :[/b]D In truth i wish you could have seen players like Murphy ( the best SH to ever step on a field ) His skills were quite magical, Millward, Hardisty, Fox, Lewis Jones, the wild bull and Vollenhoven, all and many more who were a joy to watch, At Fartown Devery was quite superb, usually when he gave the ball to his winger, it would have been hard not to score, Dave Valentine, as good a LF as you will ever see, and did it week in week out, not just now and then,
We had a lot of quality players in the late 50s and early 60s, and i wish everyone could have seen them, That's not to say we haven't had some quality ones since, Players like Gibson, Hanger , Costin and lot's more ,were all good players, and like PG says people can only pick who they have seen, But to be fair when you have watched players of the class of Boston and Ashton and the like, It's hard to take seriously some of the names on some of them lists, but again as A G said , It's a bit of fun, maybe not meant to be taken seriously.

Durham G My all time favorite Fartowner as i have said before was Mick Sullivan, He wasn't the fastest, he wasn't the biggest, and he wasn't Hall of fame, But he gave 100% in every game i saw him play for Fartown and he tackled 3 times his weight, When he hit a Aussie winger he meant it.

there are times when i think if i was older i may have seen Huddersfield win something because after all the years i have watched them i am not sure i will ever see them win a trophy
Back to top Go down
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player
adelaide-giant.no9

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 1:38 pm

yuou must have seen premiership in 97? .. buddies cup 2002, nfp final 2002 lol...proper trophies lol
Back to top Go down
Durham Giant
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 1:45 pm

adelaide-giant.no9 wrote:
yuou must have seen premiership in 97? .. buddies cup 2002, nfp final 2002 lol...proper trophies lol

i would have swapped them all as well as the carnegie nines for a CC win in 06 or 09 Sad
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 5:01 pm

Dont despair mate, the last few years have shown that the CC is not beyond our capabillities, Ok we were never in it with Saints but we should have beaten Wolves, And the last time we won the Championship we did it from 4th so don't give in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Great laugh Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great laugh   Great laugh Empty

Back to top Go down

Great laugh
Page 1 of 1