Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Skando's off

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ponner
Admin
Admin
ponner

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Skando's off Empty
PostSubject: Skando's off   Skando's off EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 3:09 pm

Skando's off News-images%5Cnewspic17900Huddersfield Giants prop forward John Skandalis is to leave the club at the end of the season to return down under.

Skandalis joined the Giants on a two-year contract following a long and distinguished NRL career with 2005 premiers Wests Tigers and subsequently helped the Giants to their first play-off finish in the Super League in 2007. Following a recent knee injury that required immediate surgery, Skandalis has played his last game for the club and with his 2 year deal due to expire he will return home to Australia at the end of the season.

Skandalis admitted his disappointment but revealed that he had thoroughly enjoyed his time at the Giants.

“This has been a great experience and challenge for us, you look at the NRL and there are certainly a lot of players who want to come over and play in the Super League so I’m glad that I’ve been able to do that. We’re really sad to be heading home. My wife actually struggled with the idea of coming here at first but now she’s gutted to be leaving! We have settled in very well and are disappointed that we are preparing to leave.”

Giants Managing Director Richard Thewlis paid tribute to the Aussie forward who has been a cornerstone of the teams pack for the last 2 years.

“John has been great for the club and we got exactly what we wanted with his signature. Both on and off the field he has been a model professional and it will be sad to see him move on. It was part of John’s remit to pass on his knowledge to what 2 years ago were relatively youngish props in Griffin, Crabtree, Mason and Jackson and he has done just that for us. They now have the responsibility that age and experience bring and with the recent form of Andy Raleigh in the front row, it gives us even more depth in that area and with all being British it is a strong base from us to build from.

I guess the most disappointing aspect for the supporters and for John is that he has played his last game in the claret and gold as the knee injury won't clear before the season is over. He will leave us with memories as one of our most consistent and popular overseas players for many a year."

Skandalis has however, managed to secure a job for his return, with former club Wests Tigers offering him a Youth Development role which will see him working with the budding NRL stars of the future.

“Ill be working with the Tigers back home, I’m not sure if ill still be playing- that remains to be seen! I’ve got a job set up for me where I will be working with some of the younger teams and I’m really looking forward to the prospect of that.”

It’s clear that Skandalis has developed a real affinity for both the club and Huddersfield as a place, and he admits there are a number of things he will miss once he returns home.

“I’ll miss the club in general I think. Making the play-offs last year was brilliant for us, but Huddersfield itself- the whole area, the way of life here and the people. It’s a nice country town, we found a house in Slaithwaite, and we’ve really enjoyed our time here. Huddersfield, and the Giants are going to hold a special place in my heart. I’ve always said that I didn’t want to play for another club in the UK. I’ve been a one club man now in both Australia and in England and fortunately for me that club in England has been the Huddersfield Giants.”

One major disappointment for the 32 year old prop forward is that he won’t get the chance to play with former Wests Tigers team mate and incoming Giants star Brett Hodgson who arrives at the Galpharm for the 2009 season, with close friend Skandalis offering Hodgson advice about what he can expect for his future Giants career.

“That’s one disappointment for myself, that I didn’t get the chance to stay on for one more year and play with Brett. He’s actually moving in to the house that we occupy at the moment so I’ve told him a lot of really good things about the place, and what he can expect so he’s really excited about coming over, it’s a great shame that we didn’t get to play together for one more year as he’s a great friend.”
Back to top Go down
https://giants.aforumfree.com
reidy
reidy

Number of posts : 3716
Registration date : 2008-05-13

Skando's off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skando's off   Skando's off EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 4:52 pm

All the best Skando.
Back to top Go down
Shogun
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
Shogun

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Skando's off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skando's off   Skando's off EmptyThu Jul 24, 2008 10:45 pm

Well played Skando, you will and are being missed.
Back to top Go down
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player
adelaide-giant.no9

Number of posts : 1835
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Skando's off Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skando's off   Skando's off EmptyFri Jul 25, 2008 12:00 am

he will be sadly missed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content