Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

12 team SL

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
cabrita
Ballboy
Ballboy

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-09-24

12 team SL Empty
PostSubject: 12 team SL   12 team SL EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 11:29 pm

After next year SL to be reduced to 12 teams by relegating 2 without promotion from the Championship (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/23264272). There are some good arguments being made, but I'll be sorry to see the change. It will presumably mean 4 weeks less rugby, although there are apparently some more innovative (complicated?) options being suggested to extend the season.

"One option involves a 12-team Super League running alongside a 12-team Championship which would split after 23 rounds into three groups of eight." I presume the 23 rounds is each opposition team home and away, plus the Magic Weekend. But why then split into three groups of eight? So SL teams can run up cricket scores against Dewsbury or Swinton? I can see some teams being competitive with the lower half of SL but most wouldn't be.

After next year there is supposed to be relegation and promotion restored, as was the case before 2009. I'll welcome that. With the current franchise system some clubs have nothing to play for in the second half of the season.

Your thoughts? And who is likely to get relegated at the end of next year? Right now I'd put money on London to be one, and I think that would spell the end of the foray into the capital. We'd be reduced to the M62 corridor, plus Catalans.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

12 team SL Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 team SL   12 team SL EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 5:31 pm

cabrita wrote:
After next year SL to be reduced to 12 teams by relegating 2 without promotion from the Championship (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/23264272). There are some good arguments being made, but I'll be sorry to see the change. It will presumably mean 4 weeks less rugby, although there are apparently some more innovative (complicated?) options being suggested to extend the season.

"One option involves a 12-team Super League running alongside a 12-team Championship which would split after 23 rounds into three groups of eight." I presume the 23 rounds is each opposition team home and away, plus the Magic Weekend. But why then split into three groups of eight? So SL teams can run up cricket scores against Dewsbury or Swinton? I can see some teams being competitive with the lower half of SL but most wouldn't be.

After next year there is supposed to be relegation and promotion restored, as was the case before 2009. I'll welcome that. With the current franchise system some clubs have nothing to play for in the second half of the season.

Your thoughts? And who is likely to get relegated at the end of next year? Right now I'd put money on London to be one, and I think that would spell the end of the foray into the capital. We'd be reduced to the M62 corridor, plus Catalans.

There's a thread about 17 pages long on Total rugby league mate giving just about every opinion you can imadgine, It seems only Huddersfield really pressed for a ten team league, no prises for guessing why.
Back to top Go down
luisnorthsquash
luisnorthsquash

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-02-26

12 team SL Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 team SL   12 team SL EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 6:21 pm

The thing is the problems with semi pro vs pro players really. I say clubs decide whether to be pro or semi pro depending on finances...
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

12 team SL Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 team SL   12 team SL EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 8:57 pm

This is the problem with clubs deciding and not the governing body. Too much self interest in what they are pushing for. Although I do welcome promotion and relegation, I think the promoted club should be protected for one season to get up to speed otherwise we could see clubs yo-yo and going bust.
Back to top Go down
defleppard
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
defleppard

Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2008-09-20

12 team SL Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 team SL   12 team SL EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 10:15 pm

Couldn't give a flying one.

If you have any sense you will just continue to back Sir Ken Davy and buy a season ticket.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

12 team SL Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 team SL   12 team SL EmptySat Jul 13, 2013 11:51 am

defleppard wrote:

If you have any sense you will just continue to back Sir Ken Davy and buy a season ticket.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Or on the other hand forget about season tickets and get on with the things in your life that matter, You can always pay on the gate if what's for sale looks tempting enough, If not you can watch on TV, and in view of the fact that Sky are the real owners maybe your money is doing more good there anyway.
Back to top Go down
defleppard
1st Teamer
1st Teamer
defleppard

Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2008-09-20

12 team SL Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 team SL   12 team SL EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 7:15 pm

BO JANGLES wrote:
defleppard wrote:

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Or on the other hand forget about season tickets and get on with the things in your life that matter, You can always pay on the gate if what's for sale looks tempting enough, If not you can watch on TV, and in view of the fact that Sky are the real owners maybe your money is doing more good there anyway.

Well do you think O'Donnell was released for any other reason that we could no longer afford his wages? because too many were whinging on about the end of last season and how they and all their mates would not be buying ST's anymore.

Do you think LOD would have had an influence on last Sundays debacle?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

12 team SL Empty
PostSubject: Re: 12 team SL   12 team SL Empty

Back to top Go down

12 team SL
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forums :: Giants Forum-
Jump to: