Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:28 am

Hey Bo Following our recent discussion --I see /hear that Brett has been granted another two years at Wire !

The decisions we make eh??

I can almost see the look on yer face pal Wink Very Happy

Two might be too much --but Menzies soldiers on as did Brad Davis !!
So all credit to em for taking a chance on him as the fella seems to enjoy playing the game if fit enough despite all the attention he gets from the opposition !!

Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:46 pm

penninegiant wrote:
Hey Bo Following our recent discussion --I see /hear that Brett has been granted another two years at Wire !

The decisions we make eh??

I can almost see the look on yer face pal Wink Very Happy

Two might be too much --but Menzies soldiers on as did Brad Davis !!
So all credit to em for taking a chance on him as the fella seems to enjoy playing the game if fit enough despite all the attention he gets from the opposition !!

It beggars belief mate, He might miss 7 or 8 games in the season, we have players who don't play 7 or 8 in a season, and they are our top earners. Hodgson is in the right position for a long carrier, he could go on for a year or two yet ( unfortunately not for us ) Menzies is just something else again, He must rank amongst the best Aussies ever to play the game, He plays mainly on the fringes these days and it certainly works for Catalan. Someone at the Giants really knows his job Very Happy
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 am

Lots of people said at the time we were crazy not to offer the man of steel a two year deal. The reason was he was on his last legs. Who decided that made a massive mistake. I do believe if we had of signed him up we would be the ones with silverware in the cabinet now.
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Yeah Matt --he was on his last pair of "sparrow-legs"" but Wire must have got him a new pair eh cos he aont done bad ???
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:36 pm

matt01 wrote:
I do believe if we had of signed him up we would be the ones with silverware in the cabinet now.

With all due respect matt01 I'm not sure about that. If we had got Todd Carney then I would agree with you. With Carney at 6 & Brough at 7 I think we could have at least got the Cup by now.

But if we are to win a pot it will take more than a good fullback imo.

We need a world class 6 & 13 AND at least 2 killer props.

jmo
Back to top Go down
ponner
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 pm

I'm astounded Brett has signed for 2 more years with Wire. I heard when he was with us he was struggling to make all the training sessions due to recovery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
http://giants.aforumfree.com
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:14 pm

ponner wrote:
I'm astounded Brett has signed for 2 more years with Wire. I heard when he was with us he was struggling to make all the training sessions due to recovery.

Maybe Ponner -just maybe --you "heard it" dressed up like that to justify the decision?

Maybe --maybe not?

But Id rather WE had the advantage of his resurgence for bringing him over here than one of our main rivals!

Alas --not! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:34 am

sparky wrote:
matt01 wrote:
I do believe if we had of signed him up we would be the ones with silverware in the cabinet now.

With all due respect matt01 I'm not sure about that. If we had got Todd Carney then I would agree with you. With Carney at 6 & Brough at 7 I think we could have at least got the Cup by now.

jmo
Carney would have been unbelievable, but there was nothing the club could have done. The club did have an element of control over Brett and made the wrong decision. Maybe I remember it wrong, but he must have had a hand in a large percentage of the tries, joining the line like an extra half back. With him at full back he could have got us the extra tries needed to get over the line and win us that trophy. He's been a very important cog in the Warrington side who have won things, so important they have been prepared to keep him for four years when we only thought there was one left in him.
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:20 am

matt01 wrote:
sparky wrote:
matt01 wrote:

jmo
Carney would have been unbelievable, but there was nothing the club could have done. The club did have an element of control over Brett and made the wrong decision. Maybe I remember it wrong, but he must have had a hand in a large percentage of the tries, joining the line like an extra half back. With him at full back he could have got us the extra tries needed to get over the line and win us that trophy. He's been a very important cog in the Warrington side who have won things, so important they have been prepared to keep him for four years when we only thought there was one left in him.

Everything you say is true mate re: the Wire scenario but BH had the luxury there of playing behind a monster bona fide RL pack. Big props, 2nd rowers, proper 13 etc.

How would he have got on behind our 4 hooker, no 13, 1 prop mish mash? Also when joining the line he is often coming off a Briers attacking line ie: a genuine stand off half who knows what he's doing. A 6 is something else we haven't got.

To me it's an apples & oranges comparison. Jmo.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:09 pm

sparky wrote:
matt01 wrote:
sparky wrote:
matt01 wrote:

jmo

Everything you say is true mate re: the Wire scenario but BH had the luxury there of playing behind a monster bona fide RL pack. Big props, 2nd rowers, proper 13 etc.

How would he have got on behind our 4 hooker, no 13, 1 prop mish mash? Also when joining the line he is often coming off a Briers attacking line ie: a genuine stand off half who knows what he's doing. A 6 is something else we haven't got.

Last season we had a monster pack but we let Griffin, Raleigh, Kirmond and Horne go. It is only this season we've gone into games with so many hookers.
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:17 pm

matt01 wrote:
sparky wrote:
matt01 wrote:
sparky wrote:
matt01 wrote:

jmo

Last season we had a monster pack but we let Griffin, Raleigh, Kirmond and Horne go. It is only this season we've gone into games with so many hookers.

Yep you're right I agree but the point I'm trying to make is that even BH would have struggled this year behind our flimsy pack & being fed by a poor stand off half so I really don't think in the final tally up BH's absence from our team makes that much difference.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:22 pm

sparky wrote:
matt01 wrote:
sparky wrote:
matt01 wrote:
sparky wrote:
matt01 wrote:

jmo

Yep you're right I agree but the point I'm trying to make is that even BH would have struggled this year behind our flimsy pack & being fed by a poor stand off half so I really don't think in the final tally up BH's absence from our team makes that much difference.
I agree, most ball players struggle behind beaten packs. Not replacing many of the forwards mentioned above was a big mistake. Brown was trying to justify it saying a mobile pack was the way to go and early doors he looked to be right, but in the end teams found us out and then this was the start of a downward spiral that even the likes of Brett probably wouldn't have been able to get us out of.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:51 pm

He may well have struggled behind our forwards this season, few backs ,esp halves play well behind a pack that is getting knocked back all the time, But the fact is he is a true class act and probably the best fullback we had for 60 years or more, I wish he was coming back for next year, Obviously some one at Warrington has a bit more nouse than his counterpart at Huddersfield.
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:56 am

Good player recruitment is why Wire are winning trophies & we're not I think. We have too many also rans & passengers whereas Wire sign quality. Hence the Cup victories/Minor Prems.
Back to top Go down
adelaide-giant.no9
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 1835
Registration date : 2008-02-29

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:51 am

sparky wrote:
Good player recruitment is why Wire are winning trophies & we're not I think. We have too many also rans & passengers whereas Wire sign quality. Hence the Cup victories/Minor Prems.

all the big name players we buy seem to struggle with injury...lod and fuelego..lol..spell ,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????   

Back to top Go down

Brett Hodgson -"Hasbeen"????
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forums :: Giants Forum-
Jump to: