Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

What do we need, what do people expect

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Giantdee
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: What do we need, what do people expect   Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 am

Following the extremely promising start to the season which has turned into a mix of disaster and surrender, I think there is a general acceptance that changes are a must in the make up of the Giants squad. So how deep? How much and what sort of players need brought in?

My view is not as much change as may initially appear but we need to focus on two positions, Prop and Stand off. I am assuming either from rumours or anouncements that the following are gone: Kev Brown, Lee Gilmour, David Fa'alogo and, Shaun Lunt, also Tommy Lee & Scott Moore out of contract so I am discounting them for the base squad we need to add to

Eden has bags of potential at full back and Murphy is a solid option

A three quarter line of Jerry, Leroy, Wardle & George is strong imo. Again Murphy provides back up as does Lawrence

In the halves we have Danny Brough, he needs a partner, Grix would be excellent depth

Back Row we now have loads of options: Lawrence, Ferguson, Chan, Fairbank, O'Donnell, Ferres,

At hooker we have two international hookers under contract (3 if we keep Shaun Lunt) Robbo & Faiumu, as these two are under contract I think that is it for hookers, we have plenty back rowers so a waste of cap money to play fooey there, other areas are more of a need.

Current props are Eorl, Mason & Larne (whom I regard as an impact prop not a run on)

Ignoring the out of contract hookers and the four I believe are leaving that is 19 players. I think we definately need 2 props and a half back, giving a squad of 22 plus youngsters, that feels about right to me. We would be daft to make the same mistake again and go into the season with less than 5 props (a four man rotation plus cover) so two additional props are a must.

The rumour mill suggests that Mullally and a big Kiwi are on there way along with Luke Gale, if so then the squad is looking like a better shape. Any other ins and outs should be on a like for like basis, ie if Mason is off we need three new props etc. We need size back in our forward pack.

Personally I would also keep Tommy Lee or Scott Moore over Grix, on the basis either provides cover in the halves and at hooker but with contract situations that may not be an option. That said, when on form Grix is a fine player.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: What do we need, what do people expect   Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:31 pm

Giantdee wrote:
Following the extremely promising start to the season which has turned into a mix of disaster and surrender, I think there is a general acceptance that changes are a must in the make up of the Giants squad. So how deep? How much and what sort of players need brought in?

My view is not as much change as may initially appear but we need to focus on two positions, Prop and Stand off. I am assuming either from rumours or anouncements that the following are gone: Kev Brown, Lee Gilmour, David Fa'alogo and, Shaun Lunt, also Tommy Lee & Scott Moore out of contract so I am discounting them for the base squad we need to add to

Eden has bags of potential at full back and Murphy is a solid option

A three quarter line of Jerry, Leroy, Wardle & George is strong imo. Again Murphy provides back up as does Lawrence

In the halves we have Danny Brough, he needs a partner, Grix would be excellent depth

Back Row we now have loads of options: Lawrence, Ferguson, Chan, Fairbank, O'Donnell, Ferres,

At hooker we have two international hookers under contract (3 if we keep Shaun Lunt) Robbo & Faiumu, as these two are under contract I think that is it for hookers, we have plenty back rowers so a waste of cap money to play fooey there, other areas are more of a need.

Current props are Eorl, Mason & Larne (whom I regard as an impact prop not a run on)

Ignoring the out of contract hookers and the four I believe are leaving that is 19 players. I think we definately need 2 props and a half back, giving a squad of 22 plus youngsters, that feels about right to me. We would be daft to make the same mistake again and go into the season with less than 5 props (a four man rotation plus cover) so two additional props are a must.

The rumour mill suggests that Mullally and a big Kiwi are on there way along with Luke Gale, if so then the squad is looking like a better shape. Any other ins and outs should be on a like for like basis, ie if Mason is off we need three new props etc. We need size back in our forward pack.

Personally I would also keep Tommy Lee or Scott Moore over Grix, on the basis either provides cover in the halves and at hooker but with contract situations that may not be an option. That said, when on form Grix is a fine player.

To be honest It's about the size and quality of props that matter, although i'm sure you were taking that for granted, but also whoever is in the side ,if they play like they did yesterday It will all be a waste of time and money.
If the Giants are serious about being a top side ( and yes i know they were playing decent at the football at the beginning of the season) Then they need to start to look at quality players from down under rather than ones who have already been round the clock a couple of times, Fa-alogo and Odonell must be the most expensive players we have ever had, They are both capable of big games, but neither one is capable of even poor games when they are sat in the stand, and the truth is that's where they spend most of their time,, Other clubs seem to be able to get some value for money, so whoever buys our players wants removing from the job.

With regard to getting rid of players, personally i would try to get rid of Fa-alogo ,Odonell, Scott Moore ( bring back lunt) and play him in his proper position with Robbo, Grix is not good enough, I would play Murphy at fullback and give Eden a season in the A team, with some games in the first, I don't believe Mason wants to be with us ( i may well be wrong about that) and although he runs the ball in well, he is inconsistent and not big enough, so if he wants away i would let him go.

I would probably keep Lee to fight for the LF role with Faiumu, Ferguson as Mason, Ferres i wouldn't have signed anyway, and i would not sign any more average players , which just gives us a big squad some of who barley get a game, In fact i wouldn't sign anyone who is not an obvious big improvement . Bottom line for me is we want some big hard props who are not already Knackered when they get here, If there are none ,keep the money in the bank until there are, and above all find what we have been screaming out for since we have been in super league A Stand off, With the exeption of Costin we have been pretty woeful in that department.

All this will not be easy to do, but then few worth while things are easy, and if the giants are serious about being a top side then they have to find a way to do it just like the other top sides, But i wouldn't let whoever has been doing the buying up to now anywhere near it again. If i was K Davy i would put up the ticket price to what it should be, bring in quality players and let the club stand or fall on that . My own opinion is If a team plays well and wins things people will turn up to watch them, The ones who can't afford or don't want too wont, but they ain't going to turn up to watch whats on offer now are they.
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What do we need, what do people expect   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Agree with most of the above. I would deffo get shot of LOD & Doof, both just a waste of cash as they rarely play. I would also get shot of Moore who I think is very poor, he had half a good season with us but then nothing. Also Ferguson & Grix to go imo.

As far as signings go with the freed up cash I would try & get Fui Fui Moi Moi who is OOC at Parramatta & is a big, fast mean & hungry beast of a prop. I would also like Lunty back but would be amazed if he wanted back tbh.

I would also regularly play our young lads who have already proven they are plenty good enough & that they want to play (ie Fairbank).

As for stand off at the moment I've no solution to offer.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: What do we need, what do people expect   Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:14 pm

I expect us to be in or around the places for trophies. KD deserves no less.

As others have said we need more big props and more quality ball players. All this mobile packs because of less interchanges didn't work. We started the season with something a bit different, it caught the opposition out, but once they figured it we struggled which in the end has destroyed confidence.

In the short term we need to regain confidence. I can remember signing the ever confident Stanley Gene got the confidence flowing in a struggling team. Not sure Ferres will have the same impact, but could there be someone out there, maybe from Bradford?
Back to top Go down
Giantdee
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: What do we need, what do people expect   Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:44 pm

There seems to be consensus amongst supporters that a couple of quality props are needed. Now this being a business and all that surely has to be considered when trying to flog season tickets?

I must confess to being bitterly disappointed over this seasons underperformance, we were much better than that, but the squad balance is all wrong positionally. That is something that we as mere fans were concerned about last close season. Those fears came to pass and I am certain there will be a significant drop in sales if that failing is not addressed.

Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: What do we need, what do people expect   Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:46 am

Maybe that person to help bring the confidence back is in the coaching staff.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/18982613

The players need to believe in themselves and not let their heads go down when things are going against them. If Kieron can help get this back then maybe we can rescue this season.

Lets see what the Saints game brings.
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: What do we need, what do people expect   Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:21 am

So Anderson has Purtill and Thorman as assistants

Should be adequate dont you think? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
defleppard
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: What do we need, what do people expect   Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:09 am

We def do need a stand off who is comfortable as a pivot/playmaker.If you look around the SL,the best ones are Aussies,Finch/Lulu,Green/Dobson,Hohaia,Holdsworth.Smith impressed me last week for WTW.Then Wire have prob the best of British in Briers & Leeds have McGuire.

Dare I say it but from what I have seen so far playmaking is not Broughy's strength,though he is champion at all other aspects.So must be questions about our recruitment.Cas went and got Ellis from HFC and he looked a champion organiser in his debut v ourselves.Nowt coming through our 20's so not sure where we look for a playmaker for 2013.

Grix is more suited to broken field running,like we saw for the first try last week,though he has a good kicking game he doesn't look altogether comfortable playing in the halves.Gale won't leave Bradford,but maybe we should have made a move from him while he was at London.Another point about Grix he is not that crash hot coming into 2nd 5/8th and throwing the money ball like Brett Hodgson used to do,and that aspect is so vitally important in today's game.

First thing PA needs to do is get a rocket up the backside of certain forwards,some who just lately seem to want to do just enough,but not put the bodies on the line.It's easy for speccies to say that,but if they want to win that is what they have to do in the brutal world of the SL
Others look like they have taken too many big hits over the years have too many games under their belts.Eorl is not included in that list,he has been top class.Don't know what's happened to Fa'alogo but it just looks like he doesn't want to be here with this club anymore.NB would not give the forwards in the 20's much of a chance to prove themselves,preferred to constantly change positions of the experienced personnel looking for the right formula.NB has referred to junior development being the big difference between our club and St Helens.This is a problem as no one is pushing the current incumbents for their position in the first 17.

LOD was great but now there are worries over the long term,but he has another year to go.

So to sum up,a playmaker at 6,not just a show & go type.A FB who can join the line and throw accurate passes.A couple of props from somewhere,then coaching that kicks ass and at the same time shows some flair on attack & steel in defence.As the saying goes - simples, but in reality it is anything but.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do we need, what do people expect   

Back to top Go down

What do we need, what do people expect
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forums :: Giants Forum-
Jump to: