Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)
Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction

Go down 
+4
penninegiant
BO JANGLES
matt01
defleppard
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction   O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Seems the Bulls finally have a new owner, and one who is still talking what seems to be the standard rhetoric about creating a Wembley of the north out of a big hole in the ground, This in a city that must be one of the most money strapped in the north of England, IMO they would be better forgetting all about the crater and concentrating on something more modest on the Salford lines.

Shouldn't be too long now before we all know the League Bradford will be playing in next season, There is talk of a mini licensing board to see who is the most suitable candidate for Super league, I would say at a guess that this is just the means that the RFL have chosen to keep Bradford in the top flight, There is quite obviously no club from the lower league who can even dream of matching the number of paying fans that the Bulls have, and for what it's worth IMO that's what will swing it the Bulls way ( if it's ever been in any doubt ).

All this is just an opinion but if you put yourself in the position of the big clubs, what are you going to vote for, A club that can bring 3 or 4 thousand fans on a good day or one that can bring 500, It's a no brainer really, still you never know, the RFL constantly amaze me, maybe they will again! If they were to get relegated it would be a huge boost for the lower league and would be a very good thing for them ( they get little enough help as it is ) but i have a very strong feeling that such considerations will hold little sway against the arguments that no other club is good enough to be promoted, and in which case the league would have to be reduced to 13 clubs, which in turn would mean bye's and the loss of the Magic weekend.
I don't see this happening myself and i would think that the other Super league clubs will already have calculated which will give them the most money, The Bulls fans or a share of the BUlls Sky money ( and would Sky be prepared to still pay the same amount for 13 clubs anyway ) They are the real owners of the game and will have had more than a little input in any decisions made by the RFL.
There have been references from time to time about what would happen to the Giants if KD was to pull out ( which he will do at some point ) Personally i think a far more serious point is what will happen to the whole game if Sky pull out, Again IMO it would be just a semi amateur sport in no time at all, so i don't expect anything to be done to the Bulls that would go against the interests of Sky.
If some of the many attempts to spread the game over the last 100 years had been a success the position of League would have been a great deal stronger, unfortunately we have remained by and large a York's Lanc's sport, and yet you still hear the arguments, The RFL should stop squandering money in London, France and Wales and such and think about the clubs in the homelands ( except if they happen to be the Bulls ) These homeland club's It's worth remembering , have had well over a Hundred years in the game and most Including Huddersfield still can't stand on their own feet, Most are either funded by a so called Sugar Daddy or are bumping along the bottom with their noses above the water line.
All this is just opinion and options and in real truth none of it particularly affects me overmuch, I have loved the game most of my life and i reckon i have seen by far the best of it, I still want Huddersfield to do well and be the best, and for that to happen because it's now all about Money, I don't want to see a club like Bradford with all it's paying fans diminished, ( would the good people of Huddersfield have raised £500,000 if an appeal had been issued, i think not ) so why should those paying Fans be penalised for something they had no part in, anymore than the Giants fans should take the stick over the Sheffield debacle which they had no part in.

Anyway all should be revealed in the near future, as i have said ,to me it makes little difference , but to Super league it could make a big one.
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
sparky

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction   O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:17 pm

Bradford will be in SL in 2013. That's 100% nailed on. The RFL have bent over backwards to save their skins. It's actually been an embarrassment to witness. There is absolutely no way in the world that Omar Khan would've bought the Bulls out if they weren't going to remain in the top flight. Why would he bother if their main income stream was going to be forfeited in the next two weeks?

This mini franchise thing is just a way for the RFL to save face imo. If I owned a lower league club I would refuse to take part in such a blatant sham.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction   O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Well going off tonight's performance, the players have lost their passion very quickly so I guess they feel like they now know they have contracts to pay their mortgages next year.

Right or wrong. I can see both points of view. Rules are rules in my opinion. When SL first kicked off it didn't have Hull FC who are now one of those clubs that can take massive away supports and guess what. Super League was perfectly fine. It will be fine without Bradford, if they are relegated then I feel for their fans who have given money to the cause, but they still have a club to support in the championship and as I've watched Fartown for many years in the lower leagues I can say it is just as enjoyable. Different, but equally as enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
sparky

PostSubject: Re: O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction   O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:02 pm

The writing was on the wall when the RFL bought Odsal & then leased it back to the Bulls. The RFL then compounded the error by getting SLE to prop the Bulls up until a "suitable" buyer was found.

Bradford in SL in 2013 no problem. The die was cast months ago.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

PostSubject: Re: O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction   O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:14 pm

sparky wrote:
The writing was on the wall when the RFL bought Odsal & then leased it back to the Bulls. The RFL then compounded the error by getting SLE to prop the Bulls up until a "suitable" buyer was found.

I am almost 100% certain you are right.

If that is the right thing to do is another matter.
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
sparky

PostSubject: Re: O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction   O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:27 pm

It's the precedent that is passed that will do the real damage. It is catastrophic on two counts, namely:

1) Any SL club that goes bust can now turn round to the RFL & say "hang on, you bailed the Bulls out, now it's our turn".

and

2) How can the RFL say it's playing fair with all the Championship clubs re:franchising & keep a straight face?

Absolute disaster.

And let's not forget that Bradford, the SL poster club with their "iconic" (don't make me laugh) ground, got in this mess by buying their trophies in the first place. They have a hell of a lot to answer for & they've got off scott free.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player
matt01

PostSubject: Re: O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction   O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:38 pm

It's hard to argue with your points. Although history also suggests the RFL will simply ignore this precedent if and when a lesser club goes belly up and as if SL or the RFL have given much of a stuff to the lower leagues. Remember what they did to Keighley when SL was formed.
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player
sparky

PostSubject: Re: O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction   O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Not just Keighley ( oh and as a side note, let's not forget that Bullmania was ripped off from the original Cougarmania).

What about Dewsbury Rams, who won multiple Championships & still weren't promoted. Also, when Bramley could no longer be used as a conduit for Rhinos 1st teamers to serve suspensions, they got the royal shaft too, as Count Hetherington didn't want another local club to eat into the potential Rhinos fan base.

RL history is littered with clubs who got boned by the RFL (us included!).

And people wonder why we aren't taken seriously as a sport.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction   O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:15 am

sparky wrote:

I agree completely, but what you see as a error, Sky see as getting the Bulls out of jail, I see the RFL as just as big a joke as you , we shall never know the whole truth of it but there is no doubting who is in controll of the situation. I can imadgine a memo along the lines ( There will be a Bradford team in Super league next season, We dont care how you do it ,just sort it ) Sound a bit far fetched ? no more than some of the other manouverings that have taken place.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player
BO JANGLES

PostSubject: Re: O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction   O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:44 am

matt01 wrote:
It's hard to argue with your points. Although history also suggests the RFL will simply ignore this precedent if and when a lesser club goes belly up and as if SL or the RFL have given much of a stuff to the lower leagues. Remember what they did to Keighley when SL was formed.

Agree again Matt, Sky/ RFL care little or nothing about the game below Super league level, there is now so little investment in the game, that the only way forward is to generate more money for less clubs to share, there are already less quality players coming through from below ( except in certain area's ) and no one cares any longer about beating the Aussies, so why worry about the championship, Mr Sky wants teams in big Cities so there are plenty of people to buy dishes,

Sadly teams like Keithley and Fev and small towns with a small population will never again fit the bill, nor will some bigger towns like Huddersfield if the dont pull their finger out soon, I f Wakey get their new ground that could well spell the demise of Cas, and no body will do anything to stop it, not even the Cas and Fev fans, who would rather disappear than become one team.

Sorry if all this sounds a bit doom and gloom, but I'm afraid that when Sky saved League as a pro sport they didn't just make it a Summer game, the bought the soul of the game as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction   O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

O/T Bradford Bulls facing extinction
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2