Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Injury boost

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ponner
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 3680
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Injury boost   Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Huddersfield Giants will be close to full strength for Friday’s sudden-death Engage Super League play-off tie against Leeds Rhinos at the Galpharm Stadium.

The Giants, seeking to bounce back from their 47-0 opening play-off defeat at Warrington Wolves, are boosted by the return to full fitness of first-choice centres Leroy Cudjoe and Joe Wardle and back rower Dale Ferguson.

England international Cudjoe missed the Wolves mauling with a knee injury, while Wardle was nursing a slight hamstring strain and Ferguson was sidelined with a back problem.

Their return leaves only Australian forward Luke O'Donnell and England hooker Shaun Lunt on the sidelines.

Huddersfield coach Nathan Brown revealed today he opted not to risk any of the trio against Warrington, knowing that, if defeated, his side would have another chance to secure a place in the last four.

“They could have all probably played last week at a pinch but we had to weigh up the risk," he said. "If they played and broke down, they'd be gone for the year.”

Brown will not be tempted to make further changes, preferring to show his faith in the side that helped secure a top-four finish and lost only narrowly to Leeds in their final game of the regular season.

"We had a big score put on us but people lose sight of the fact that the week before the guys were reasonably good and the week before that they were really good," he said.

"You can't fall in and out of love with players overnight. You've got to put some faith and confidence in players.

"And making mass changes is not going to do anything. Your job is to help the players get up and make them believe in themselves.

"It's the easy way to make eight changes. You find the coaches that do that make another eight the next week and bring the same blokes back.

"Joe, Leroy and Fergie are three players that are in our top 17 when fully fit so they would come into the squad any way. Other than that, we wouldn't have made any changes.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
http://giants.aforumfree.com
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:39 am

Did I just read that correctly? Did NB say that "making mass changes wasn't going to do anything"? That from a coach who has chopped and changed the team almost all season to detrimental effect? And now he decides that approach is counterproductive?

Sheesh...
Back to top Go down
Mable_syrup
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:41 am

Raleigh dropped
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:10 pm

I think Raleigh has been one of our consistently better performers since his reintroduction to the side.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:41 pm

sparky wrote:
Did I just read that correctly? Did NB say that "making mass changes wasn't going to do anything"? That from a coach who has chopped and changed the team almost all season to detrimental effect? And now he decides that approach is counterproductive?

Sheesh...
And all with possibly 1 game to play, perhaps he thinks we all have a touch of Alzheimer's.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:31 pm

Raleigh has not been the best going forward for some time, but he is arguably our best tackling forward, I don't feel myself he has had a fair crack and has been left out for lesser men (so to speak ) I Have a feeling he will be going for next year ( no inside info at all ) But if the likes of him and Kirmond go ,then for heavens sake replace them with something better or keep them.
My own thoughts ( and they will be controversial ) is that N Brown completely lost the plot at one point in the season, He shuffled the players about so much " granted they were playing very well early on " but right about the time when he reckoned he knew our best team, it all started to go down hill, and then when the Injuries started we were in trouble, Players were getting shifted about all over the field J Sharp style, till they couldn't put together a good performance at all, and now we are letting players like Wood and McNally go, do they never learn,
Mc Nally has been given no chance at all, he looked like being the prospect of the decade but he has been farmed out here there and everywhere, and we are told he hasn't impressed, If there is no one at Fartown who knows that young lads need to be pushed and played against the best, that's what makes them into top players, But not for Fartown, no no the games are much to important to be playing youngsters, they might cost us the game, Much better when Grix is injured to move Leroy to fullback, Gilmour to Leroys place, Faiumu to Gilmour place and bring in Horne to second row give him a change from centre. Much safer and more professional all round, I mean you don't see Saints or Wigan putting kids in do you, That must be why they never win.
N Brown has been very lucky this last few months, He has proved what he can do as a coach in his 2 years here IMO that is what is keeping him afloat now and i can think of at least 3 clubs that would be off loading him on the strength of the last 3 months showing.
When you take into account the amount of Money K Davy has shelled out for a huge squad and the kind of Salary N Brown will be on, he is bound to be a very disappointed man. If NB can motivate the team to the levels they were at for M Magic ( and they are still the same players ) Then we may still have some sort of outside chance of some silverware, If we go out with a whimper, then i can't begin to guess the affect it will have on next years crowds, There have been to many false dawns for some people, and I'm one of them.
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Mable_syrup wrote:
Raleigh dropped
I don't understand that one at all. I thought he was one of our better performers at Warrington. Is he injured, got a bad knock or something?
Back to top Go down
penninegiant
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 1726
Location : locked in the cellar ......................HeeeeeELP!!!!!
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Nor do I --Im beginning to think that "teacher`s pets" is starting to come into play !

But thats life .......................................sadly! Evil or Very Mad

......and I believe its taken its toll -playing players out of position just to see em earn the contract money --and then offload em !!

Hodgson / Horne / McNally / Griff?.....and why we let Brett and Wild go so soon beats me ---foot in ourselves shoot comes to mind!

Ah well PG --pay up and shut up !
Back to top Go down
Jools
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2011-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:04 pm

It was announced on radio Leeds that Raleigh has suffered an injury which would keep him out 4-6 weeks so his season is over.
Back to top Go down
Eclair
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:34 pm

Jools wrote:
It was announced on radio Leeds that Raleigh has suffered an injury which would keep him out 4-6 weeks so his season is over.

This, however, is not true............
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Eclair wrote:
Jools wrote:

This, however, is not true............

That's what I've heard elsewhere. Just what is going on exactly? Anyone know the real story?
Back to top Go down
Old School
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Its true he is injured.
Back to top Go down
Eclair
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Andy had a knock on his knee, sore but nothing too bad he thinks. He had a scan today & will get the results tomorrow. No one has mentioned any time scale, let alone 4 to 6 weeks, until on the radio tonight
Back to top Go down
Mable_syrup
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:41 am

he got a knock on his knee. He went for a scan yesterday. the results are not kown until later today. NB COULD NOT KNOW how long he is out for, if he will be out at all, unless he is a prophet. Why didn't he say 'he is having a scan and we will know more when the results get back to us'? All he has done is put himself in a corner and basicaly told Andy that he wont be playing again this year, no matter what. And it is getting on the wick of lots of the senior players as Keefie said, on the other forum. If your mates are bieng treated badly, would you want to work for the same employer, thinking it could be you next on the hit list??
I'd think it was pretty worrying that a group of players have been named unofficially as the 'bomb squad' from mid season onwards as they were seen to be unwanted and dispensable. There's a reason for the mid season dip.

Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:04 pm

Mable_syrup wrote:
he got a knock on his knee. He went for a scan yesterday. the results are not kown until later today. NB COULD NOT KNOW how long he is out for, if he will be out at all, unless he is a prophet. Why didn't he say 'he is having a scan and we will know more when the results get back to us'? All he has done is put himself in a corner and basicaly told Andy that he wont be playing again this year, no matter what. And it is getting on the wick of lots of the senior players as Keefie said, on the other forum. If your mates are bieng treated badly, would you want to work for the same employer, thinking it could be you next on the hit list??
I'd think it was pretty worrying that a group of players have been named unofficially as the 'bomb squad' from mid season onwards as they were seen to be unwanted and dispensable. There's a reason for the mid season dip.

Have I missed something. Whats this all about with players being treated badly?
Back to top Go down
reidy

Number of posts : 3716

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 pm

matt01 wrote:
Mable_syrup wrote:

Well Matt, when you go from players-player of the season, to getting injured, not getting the chance to show yer worth after recovery and then not getting game time, that's badly treated enough. I'm 110% positive that this lad is one player who doesn't shirk any effort at training and indeed on the park when picked. Lets face it, he got given a 3 year extension last season and then was constantly absent from play, purely through being dropped for the newcomers who have no loyalty to a club that isn't in their home town. It showed in the CC final, when our overseas players were lack-lustre on the day, whereas home talent would have performed. Andy has the pride and loyalty. But constantly being left out and knocked back would take it's toll on any team player.
Iv'e said right from his first game at the Galpharm that this lad was promising and he has showed he has a natural ability, but if you are constantly absent from play, you aren't bound to gel with the rest of the squad as well as what you would during a normal season, when you get sufficient game time are you???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Yorkshire born & Yorkshire bred, Thick in't arms and daft in't head!!!
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:31 pm

reidy wrote:
matt01 wrote:
Mable_syrup wrote:

Well Matt, when you go from players-player of the season, to getting injured, not getting the chance to show yer worth after recovery and then not getting game time, that's badly treated enough. I'm 110% positive that this lad is one player who doesn't shirk any effort at training and indeed on the park when picked. Lets face it, he got given a 3 year extension last season and then was constantly absent from play, purely through being dropped for the newcomers who have no loyalty to a club that isn't in their home town. It showed in the CC final, when our overseas players were lack-lustre on the day, whereas home talent would have performed. Andy has the pride and loyalty. But constantly being left out and knocked back would take it's toll on any team player.
Iv'e said right from his first game at the Galpharm that this lad was promising and he has showed he has a natural ability, but if you are constantly absent from play, you aren't bound to gel with the rest of the squad as well as what you would during a normal season, when you get sufficient game time are you???

What i can't understand though Scot is, if there is unrest in the camp why are players signing up for long term deals ( which is not necessarily the best way for either club or player) I know in days gone by, players would regularly be at their clubs for 10 years and more, but those days are gone ,by and large.
In the case of Raleigh ,my opinion is that for whatever reason he has not had a fair crack and he is not the only one. Something went badly amiss mid season and i can't believe that it was all about N Brown would be leaving at the end of the season, If that was the reason ( and i don't believe it was ) then you have to feel sorry for the little lambs, Whatever it was , they went from a table topping side to a team of also rans, they are in the playoffs purely on the merit of their season first half showing and are struggling very badly to regain some kind of form.
Raliegh may well have some kind of injury at the moment but he has not been injured all season, and yet he has continued to be overlooked in favor of swapping players about to cover an injury. Something is sadly wrong somewhere and i doubt we will ever know what, Frankly I'm getting to the point where i don't really care that much.
Back to top Go down
reidy

Number of posts : 3716

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:58 pm

Hiya Bo, to be honest, I'm fed up, good and proper. We have brought players in who don't give a damn about the performances that they turn out. They get paid more than they do in the NRL and thats all they are bothered about.
The loyal guys who perform week-in, week-out are overlooked. I don't think for a minute that Andy Raleigh would be knocked off balance by the thought of a coach leaving, trust me mate, he's far too level headed for that bravado. All the lad wants is a fair crack of the whip and he hasn't had it.
I know that he has had offers from elsewhere, worth more money too, but the club wouldn't release him. I can't knock his loyalty to his hometown team, but I can also understand his frustration at constantly been overlooked at the expense of certain incumbents that in my honest opinion, didn't perform that well down under and have been even less impressive over here.
I'm not blowing smoke up his backside, but as I have said many times before, his work rate is excellent. His discipline is excellent. He's underrated, undervalued and underplayed. He blows a couple of his overseas team mates into oblivion as far as work ethic goes I'm afraid.
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, don't get me wrong, but thats mine. Browny has wasted a season or two of this lads career and this can't carry on anymore. We need Andy playing to the clubs advantage. Young Fairbank needs a bit of first team play soon as well. Background that he has (an uncle called Concrete Karl!) should be a right old nutter when he gets some gametime!

I'm Yorkshire born & Yorkshire bred, Thick in't arms and daft in't head!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Injury boost   

Back to top Go down

Injury boost
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forums :: Giants Forum-
Jump to: