Forums
Hi and thanks for visiting www.giants.co.nr
This forum will soon be only visible to registered members. If you're not a member then please register so that you will be able to see all we have to offer on the website/forum. Be sure to read the forum and post your views as this is what keeps our site alive and people coming back. Thanks
ponner(Mark)

HomePortalRegisterLog in

Share | 

Defence?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
joek
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Defence?   Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:11 pm

We looked utterly confused on our right side regularly. Wardle looked lost for a few of the tries, and Robbo running out of the line didn't help him. Wigan were much better but we were poor.
Back to top Go down
Jools
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2011-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:43 pm

Bad bad decision to put two inexperienced players against Richards and carmont. Bruno would have done a much better job, he would have settled the ship and we'd have gone in at half time in touch.
Back to top Go down
Giantdee
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2009-11-30

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:02 pm

Exactly as I saw it Jools, felt it was unfair to Wardle to put him in that position. The guy has great potential but I fear that experience could set him back a bit, think Jerry could do with a rest too, but not sure we have anyone else to put in.

Yes Danny Brough and LOD would have made a difference, so too would Bruno, but Wigan are too good to give away field position softly. NB is right, that has been coming for some time.

We have lost serious ground for top two but we simply must refocus, that and stop over rotation of the squad, start building settling combinations for the end of the season.
Back to top Go down
Mable_syrup
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 103

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:08 pm

we were soft up the middle, as we always are when kirmond and larne are on at the same time. Throw in Horne and thats when the team messes up... but thats another discussion. The game is 50% attack and 50% defence Larne and Desperate Dan go ok when we are on top going forward, but defensivley they are awful, and when the team is up against it, they are both too light weight to make any headway to get us rolling forward. Controversial I'm sure, but thats only due to people seeing attacking exploits every few games. my pack would be when all fit

Raleigh
Robbo
Eorl
LOD
Fa'alogo
Faiumu

Subs
Griffin
Lunt
Mason
Gilmour

Next season griff to leeds and i'd push Fa'alogo to prop Raleigh to back row where he was club player of the year.
Back to top Go down
Giantdee
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:41 pm

That is pretty controversial, especially so as we were 22-6 down before either Larne or Danny K were on the park. Seems a bit harsh to blame those two for the extent of this defeat.

Bearing in mind the amount of field position given away and the shambles of our right hand side I thought the pack did pretty well not to be completely over-run.

NB has done a great job as coach, but he called this one wrong, Finch, Carmont and Richards won the game in the first half hour and as it go looser Sam Tomkins was in his element.
Back to top Go down
Mable_syrup
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

Number of posts : 103

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:00 pm

know where you are coming from, but when up against it, they will not change anything when brought on. both light weight in defence .
Back to top Go down
Jools
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:32 pm

I like the mobility kirmond and larne have and a couple of times tonight it almost came off but I don't think they should be on together as i agree they are too light. Raleigh is a hardworker and pretty dependable. One think I would like to see our forwards do alot more is offload! Raleigh taking the ball in drawing three then popping it out for kirmond or larne with a bit more pace and mobility through the gap he has created.
Back to top Go down
CJ
Ballboy
Ballboy

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:04 pm

If Nathan Brown is true to his team rules Raleigh and Lawrence should start lacing their boots up for next week and Wardle and Patrick booking a holiday.
Also was Fa'alogo playing yesterday? (I thought he was supposed to be our enforcer)
Thought Cudjoe was the pick of our backs and Brown seems to be going backwards since he got the captaincy.
Back to top Go down
defleppard
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Might upset a few here not my intention.Just an opinion.

I've nowt against Andy Raleigh,been a good servant,and he is still a solid defender.

Playing devils advocate,is the problem maybe that he needs to develop the forward lean into collision if he's gonna prop,because at Hull in his last game before being omitted, they got leverage under him and shoved him up and sideways before he went to ground,which in the end resulted in a slow play the ball.

We've all got our favourite players,just wondered why NB left him out after Hull FC.Right now we could do with a prop to come in and start dominating rucks.I would be well happy if Andy R could be that man.

Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:19 pm

I just wonder if Nathan Brown thought Tomkins wasn't playing - We certainly offered nothing in the way of a gameplan to counteract him.

It was like watching the Sam Tomkins show.

Poor.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 1732

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Gem Bob wrote:
I just wonder if Nathan Brown thought Tomkins wasn't playing - We certainly offered nothing in the way of a gameplan to counteract him.

It was like watching the Sam Tomkins show.

Poor.

And what a player he is Gem, he has a long stride steps off either foot and just glides over the ground, he is going to be a real star. As for the Giants, where do you start ? we were outclassed in every position on the field, only Mace as usual hit the line with any real effort, Andy Raleigh may well have stiffened the defence somewhat but to offset that he would have offered even less in attack than what we had, still it would probably have been worth playing him because this game in front of a big Wigan crowd was always likely to be more about defence from the Giants point of view.

The one thing we can take from this game is that we now know where we stand, and where we need to get too before the playoffs, We were slaughtered last night by a side that never really looked to get out of second gear, The performances on Friday night by Wolves and Saints are what we need to aspire to, and at the moment we are a million miles away, We all know we can play much better than that , but we can't do it regularly, We played really well against Saints and we have ground out a couple of good results against very tough sides, but in truth for the last few months we have mainly been mediocre.

For me there has been far too much beggering about with the squad, all that rotating and swapping about to find our strongest squad, seems to me to have achieved very little, Why does Robbo for example have to go to SH, his best position is hooker, have we not got a reserve SH, and why does our kicking game look so woe full because Brough is off, does nobody else besides Grix practise. K Brown's sideways running has now reached a level where he is now on occasions actually running backwards,
To be honest the whole team looked half baked, They looked like they expected to loose, either that or they have the idea they only have to run onto the field, and i can't believe they really believe that against a side like Wigan. We are missing LOD and especially Brough, but with this much vaunted huge squad, if we can't cover a couple of injuries we are in deep trouble.

We have Crusaders at the Shay next and then probably the best side in the league, If we play like last night and Wolves like they did of Friday! well i just don't want to think about it. There is no one you can really blame for last night, The defence on the right hand side was rubbish ( where was Lawrence who is strong on defence ) Brown mostly ineffectual, Robbo out of position, Grix running about trying to be the star and the whole pack out muscled.

Not good enough N Brown, get your finger out and get them back on track.
Back to top Go down
sparky
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:53 pm

Just to stick my twopennorth in.....

I believe our defence has got markedly worse over time now. Don't get me wrong, NB worked wonders when he first came and his debut season's success was built on our formidable defence. Particularly on our own tryline. It was quite something. But to be candid, now it looks like the Keystone Kops on our tryline . Previously, I was confident that the Giants could hold out most teams not for just one set of six, but for two or sometimes even three. Now I am pleasantly surprised if we don't crack on the first set against the top teams. I just don't know where our defensive resolve on our tryline has gone to. Maybe some of you have thoughts about this?

Another thing that REALLY annoyed me yesterday was our stupid persistence in doing a drop off pass about 2 meters from the opposition defence and then just allowing the ball carrier to run straight back into 3 Wigan defenders. WHY? What did we think we were going to gain from that? And how many times did we do it?

TBH, we got what we deserved yesterday, and that was a good hiding.
Back to top Go down
bostock
1st Teamer
1st Teamer

Number of posts : 617
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:31 am

The coach breaking down had a big bearing on this game!! the boys where not ready to start this game,faiumu was still warming up when the teams where coming out!!!
Back to top Go down
matt01
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 2189
Registration date : 2008-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:09 pm

The coach breaking down can't help, but that just makes excuses for a poor run of form. We have played in patches in the last few weeks, but haven't been consistent and as others are saying are defensive brilliance of the last few years seems to be fading away.
Back to top Go down
Giantdee
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:11 pm

bostock wrote:
The coach breaking down had a big bearing on this game!! the boys where not ready to start this game,faiumu was still warming up when the teams where coming out!!!

That was the second time this season we have had travel issues, and it simply is not good enough, where was the contingency planning? If I can get accross in plenty of time allowing for hold ups or misfortune why can a professional sports team not?

Once is understandable twice is not.

I suppose what I really mean is if we accept excuses like travel problems we will not sort the issues.
Back to top Go down
BO JANGLES
GB Player
GB Player

Number of posts : 1732

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:07 pm

matt01 wrote:
The coach breaking down can't help, but that just makes excuses for a poor run of form. We have played in patches in the last few weeks, but haven't been consistent and as others are saying are defensive brilliance of the last few years seems to be fading away.

Dead right Matt, blaming the weather or buses are whatever is no good, Like you say our defence has been something special and it's melting away at just the wrong time. we can perhaps point to the loss of Brough as a reason for our lack of attacking shortcomings, he is also a fair defender and so of course is Odonnell but we have the squad to cover for this, surely we are not going to collapse because we have a couple of injuries.
Back to top Go down
Gem Bob
Fartown Legend
Fartown Legend

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2009-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:15 pm

bostock wrote:

What a load of garbage. Seriously.

If you are seriously trying to tell me that Professional Sportsmen at the top of their game suddenly lose skills which earn them 10's of thousands a year by having to get a taxi then you are deluded.
Back in the day men would work all morning then go play - If we have such a fragile squad that a change in travel plans throws them off then we have a team of over paid prima donna's.
Back to top Go down
Jools
Junior Academy Player
Junior Academy Player

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:24 pm

I think more important than the win itself next week is a win with an excellent defensive effort. They need to go into the game against wire having proven to themselves that hard work brings rewards.
Back to top Go down
joek
Senior Academy Player
Senior Academy Player

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Just watched St George defend 36 tackles in a row against a great Manly team. Amazing, that's what we need!
Back to top Go down
FLYINGPROP

Number of posts : 1253
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:41 pm

Leigh team bus stuck in traffic on way to Batley 3 hours late and they went out and hammered Batley, so that's no excuse.

The problem is our defence has gone soft and we need to intensify the aggression
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Defence?   

Back to top Go down

Defence?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forums :: Giants Forum-
Jump to: